Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Baron Davis (let's talk about him)

1K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  ralaw 
#1 ·
This is the same Baron Davis, who never felt that he had to lose weight.

The same Baron who demanded a trade (from New Orleans) and then said after being traded, "they're going to regret trading me." Which one was it Baron? You asked to be traded.

Then he feels slighted for not making the cut to the Olympic team, where you have to give a three summer committment (which he said he was willing to do).

Now he's hurt again with a sprained ankle and has basically torpedoed the Warriors promising season with bad shot selection, horrendous defense and poor play in general. Numbers are there, but the team should be better.

So what do you think about Baron Davis? How did this idiot really feel snubbed from the Olympic team, when there is no way in hell he could stay healthy enough to compete in 2006, 2007 and 2008? Is he retarded?

Reactions: SlamJam
#3 ·
Take a look at him with his shirt off and then tell me he needs to lose weight. He's always been thick, ever since high school. Looks like a running back. He played 82 games I believe the first 4 seasons of his career I believe.

Warriors would be as 25 win team or so without him.

#5 ·
In the words of Mario Elie....

Assistant coach Mario Elie doesn't shy away from his disappointment of not seeing Davis produce as expected, regardless of his injuries.

"There are a lot of guys I felt didn't have the year that we wanted them to have," Elie said. " I thought Baron had an average year. We need Baron to be at a higher level for us to be successful.

"Me and Baron argue, but it's because I want him to succeed so bad. I know when Baron is on his game, he can be a top 15 NBA player. But Baron is just stubborn, and he's lazy sometimes. People have to give him the truth instead of beating around the bush. I told him earlier this year that he makes a coach earn his money, but he is a great kid."

Elie said the only way Davis is going to be a proven superstar for the next several seasons is to become more disciplined.

"He's got to want it and be passionate about it," Elie said. "I hope that Baron realizes that he should go home this summer and get in the best possible shape, because he can be a big difference to where we go next year."

#6 ·
He's always been a good player with flaws.When he was in Charlotte he took way too many bad shots,but he would hit a lot of them.You look at the talent around him in GSW and it's hard to figure why they are not good enough to slip into the playoffs.It looks like they combine bad defense with poor shot selection and too many turnovers.That's not a good trifecta and anyone of those things can be the difference between winning and losing on a given night.

When you look at his raw numbers you would think he's an all star,but it's hard to see how an a true all star caliber point guard wouldn't be more successful surrounded some pretty good players as he certainly is.

#9 ·
To be fair to Baron, it's not all his fault the team didn't do well earlier on. But it did prove that Baron is no 'real' leader like many expected him to be coming into this season.

As a Warriors fan, all I can hope is he can buy into the team concept next season. He wasn't a total headcase but his ego is pretty big and needs to be torn a little bit and for that, I appauld what Mario Elie just did.

#11 ·
MightyReds2020 said:
To be fair to Baron, it's not all his fault the team didn't do well earlier on. But it did prove that Baron is no 'real' leader like many expected him to be coming into this season.

As a Warriors fan, all I can hope is he can buy into the team concept next season. He wasn't a total headcase but his ego is pretty big and needs to be torn a little bit and for that, I appauld what Mario Elie just did.
:clap:

#12 ·
health...which brought about bad habits.

Thats about all I can come up with. For whatever reason...whether its being out of shape or his body going crazy on him...he hasn't been able to stay healthy since '01. I think when you learn how to play with injuries I think u pick up bad habits...esp. perimeter players.

His career isn't where it should be. I still remember that '01 playoff run the Hornets went on. They ***** slapped Miami in the 1st round and took the Bucks to gm 7...Baron was a monster. He hasn't been truely healthy since.

#13 ·
While I think he is still a phenomenal talent, he is too injury-prone to dominate the ball(especially at the point-guard position) for his team to benefit from it. If he could stay healthy, he could talk all he wanted to. But since he is now berift with injury after injury, he needs to reel it in, shut up and just play.

#14 ·
He's just a bad shooter with worse shot selection. And he's injury-prone because he doesn't condition himself. And something tells me he doesn't rush himself recovering.

He has all the physical tools, but he's more content in coasting through his career putting up numbers most players wish they could put up. Kinda sad.

#15 ·
He's lazy with his conditioning but unlike others who can play there way into shape (ala Shaq) he doesnt know his strengths and weaknesses. This leads him to jacking up bad 3 pointers instead of abusing people on the box and on drives.

Dissappointing guy: all the tools plus such a unique physical specimen - he could have been the Charles Barkley of PG's with his strenght and leaping ability

#17 ·
Injury prone. Warriors were doing well, then he got injured yet again. The games he came back and played off the bench were filled with horrible shot selection. He was playing extremely well in the beginning to mid season. I just wish he could abuse people more on the post, or relentlessly get to the line.

#18 ·
I am (or was) a big Warriors fan. When I saw how the Warriors dominated the remainder of the season last season with Baron in their lineup, I was expecting something special in the 05-06 season.

What I got was horrendous shot selection, defense, etc. He's not the team leader. He feels he has to take EVERY big shot on the Warriors....not only that but he's probably one of the most injury-prone players ever!

#19 ·
Pioneer10 said:
He's lazy with his conditioning but unlike others who can play there way into shape (ala Shaq) he doesnt know his strengths and weaknesses. This leads him to jacking up bad 3 pointers instead of abusing people on the box and on drives.

Dissappointing guy: all the tools plus such a unique physical specimen - he could have been the Charles Barkley of PG's with his strenght and leaping ability
Totally agree. Baron Davis is one of the most talented players out there who seems to coast on his natural ability rather than maximizing it. Along with that combination of natural ability and coasting on it, he has developed a genius complex- where he feels he is much more superior than he actually is (i.e. taking bad shots). If he worked on his game more, he should come to realize his strengths and use them more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.