Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody thinks Gary Payton is walking through that door, I have a bridge to sell you.

Baron Davis wants out of New Orleans. A possible solution:

Boston trades:

SG Ricky Davis
PG Gary Payton

New Orleans trades:

PG Baron Davis

Reunited with childhood friend Paul Pierce, Baron Davis might just be the point guard we need to wreak an uptempo havoc on the Eastern Conference.

·
Registered
800 Posts
We all know it wont happen! It would be nice, but they wont trade him!

"We've got to straighten out some things," Hornets general manager Allan Bristow said but would not go into any details. "He's our franchise player. There's no possibility we'll trade him. We have no intention of even inquiring about trading Baron."

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe what you want

But Bristow is just doing what Geoff Petrie did with Peja and what any smart GM would do. Not everyone is stupid like Mitch Kupchak, who when Shaq demanded to be traded, said, "OK, we'll listen to offers." That only drives the value down. Everybody knows that when you posture like this, you keep the value up. They'd be stupid not to listen to offers. They need a SG, and Baron ain't happy.

It is not out of the realm of possibility. Now whether they'd take those two players is another story.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
How about Baron Davis for Paul Pierce? Works under the CBA. Davis can easily match Pierce in scoring, is better from the arch, has much better passing abilities, and can rebound well for his position. I would like to see how well Davis can be here rather then trading him now. Gary Payton will not report and we would have 10.4 million in salary cap relief. A great PG is way harder to find than a great SF.

PG: B. Davis, Banks, West
SG: Welsch, Allen, West
SF: R. Davis, Welsch, McCarty
PF: Lafrentz, Jefferson, Gugliotta
C: Blount, Lafrentz, Perkins

IL: Brown, Reed

We would easily win the North East.

Edit: Typo.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Baron would not want to come here

Paul Pierce is the only reason Baron Davis would even consider coming to cold, dreary Taxachusetts.

I'm sure he prefers to go home to the Clippers or the Lakers, both of whom need PGs, but playing with his best friend would be fun.

Playing with Ricky Davis would not.

Getting Baron for Gary and Ricky gives us an All-Star PG, an All-Star SG, and more minutes for Tony Allen.

Heck, maybe we could throw in Marcus Banks for Chris Andersen.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Truth34</b>!
If anybody thinks Gary Payton is walking through that door, I have a bridge to sell you.

Boston trades:

SG Ricky Davis
PG Gary Payton

New Orleans trades:

PG Baron Davis

Reunited with childhood friend Paul Pierce, Baron Davis might just be the point guard we need to wreak an uptempo havoc on the Eastern Conference.
Whenever people do fantasy trades, they need to ask themself -- is this the absolute best offer that the other team would receive for their package? If you think the best package the Hornets could get for Baron Davis is Ricky Davis and Gary Payton, then you have to wonder what's wrong with Baron. Do you really want a guy with $70 million left on his contract if they best he can fetch in a trade is a pair of average problem players? There must be something seriously wrong with him that everyone else in the league knew about it.
Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!
We would easily win the East.
Are you saying Baron Davis is so much better than Paul Pierce that you would go from "likely playoff team" to "easily conference champion?"

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!

Are you saying Baron Davis is so much better than Paul Pierce that you would go from "likely playoff team" to "easily conference champion?"
I meant division champion and I do think by adding a great point guard we can win the division.

There is no way we are better than the third seed (Indiana or Detriot cannot both be in the top three).

Sorry for the typo.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Boston trades:

SG Ricky Davis
PG Gary Payton

New Orleans trades:

PG Baron Davis

This would be a great trade for the Celtics but it is not going to happen.

Payton and Davis are talented but they can both be big headaches. Why trade a franchise player who is a little sore with losing and is creating some waves for two guys who are likely to create waves when the team starts losing?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I love Baron Davis, but you don't trade a healthy guy liek Pierce for him. Davis has a history of injuries, and although he is their franchise player, as per the owners werdz, i still wouldnt trigger a deal of PP for Baron. I just dunno how fair NO sees a Ricky and Glove 4 Baron deal., proLLy not very IMHO.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!

I meant division champion and I do think by adding a great point guard we can win the division.

There is no way we are better than the third seed (Indiana or Detriot cannot both be in the top three).

Sorry for the typo.
Heh okay, I was wondering. It certainly would be possible, especially if the rookies really bring it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: Re: Baron Davis

Originally posted by <b>Bad Bartons</b>!

This would be a great trade for the Celtics but it is not going to happen.

Payton and Davis are talented but they can both be big headaches. Why trade a franchise player who is a little sore with losing and is creating some waves for two guys who are likely to create waves when the team starts losing?
Not only that, but Payton is good for another year or two at the most and Davis might not ever break out or still prove to be a headcase. It'd be a dream for Celtics fans but a nightmare for Hornets fans because they wouldn't be getting equal value in return.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering what you guys think equal value will be....

The NBA made a huge mistake sending a franchise to New Orleans. They have a beautiful arena, but the attendance will plummet in the years ahead. No free agents are going to want to go to that wasteland, and nobody is going to sign extensions to go there in trade.

Who do you think New Orleans can get for Baron?

I reiterate, the lure for Baron is his BEST FRIEND Paul Pierce. Baron would not want to be in Boston if Paul wasn't going to be here.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
We get Davis and what happens to Banks? Allen?

Having Payton here (I see no reason for him not to come) is going to give us some time to develop the other young guys. I don't think that we could do the same with Baron.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Here's a thought. New Orleans realizes that they won't be a damn thing in the West for a while as they are currently. So they bust the team up.

The Celtics get Baron Davis and Jamall Mashburn for Gary Payton, Rick Fox, Mike Stewart, Marcus Banks, Jiri Welsch, and a first and a second.

For New Orleans, they have a set starting five for the future with Magloire, West, Welsch, Smith and Banks. The young guys will learn on the job and take some lumps (significant lumps) in the upcoming years. They'll also have a couple of extra picks to add to that core. With their first rounder and our first next year, they'll have seven first round picks to build around, which is a good way to start, assuming you use the picks right.

For the Celtics, we add two all-star types and will go with a starting five of Blount, LaFrentz, Mashburn, Pierce, and Davis. Our bench is still led by Ricky Davis who is a solid backup at 2 and 3. After that, we'd be relying upon Perkins, Jefferson, Allen and West. However, if reports are true, that's not bad at all. We'd still have two picks (LA's first and Sacramento's second) to add to the team for next season.

Also, taking PJ Brown instead of Mashburn while keeping Welsch and giving Perkins works for us salary wise, and would give us another big rebounder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Baron

Since Hornets will be moving to west and need to add height I think a great trade would be 2nd Round Pick Raef and Payton for Baron. Ricky and Payton have low money contracts and Barons is more. Raef has a bigger contract and I think this will sort out salary for Celts. It would be great to have Baron in Green. Pierce and him are boys. I would never give pierce for baron strait up tho.

PG Baron Davis
SG Ricky Davis
SF Paul Pierce
PF Al Jefferson
C Mark Blount

2nd Roation:
PG Marcus Banks
SG Delonte West
SF Jiri Welsch
PF Tom Gugliotta
C Kedrick Perkins

AMAZING TEAM WINS NORTH EAST EASILY WITH SCRAPPY KNICKS, OBIES SUCKY 76ers, <b><strike>BUM CANDIAN DINOSAURS AND KIDD OUT TILL DECEMBER [strike]WHENS MOURNING GONNA DIE[/strike] NETS.</b></strike>

DO THIS DEAL AINGE

deleted.

Posting like this is completely inappropiate. Do not do this again. ---agoo
AGREE! (TRM, administrator)

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Re: Baron

Originally posted by <b>jdunk27</b>!

2nd Round Pick Raef and Payton for Baron.
Why would the Hornets even think of doing that? It is a terrible deal for them and it doesn't work under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Deleted. Quoted before it was edited in prior posts. ---agoo
Well, there was this one time...

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think it is a great trade idea and if I were Ainge I would pursue it. If Houston can get T-Mac for nothing and Miami can get Shaq for less than market value maybe we can get him. I would never trade Pierce for him but maybe Davis, Payton and a combo of draft pick and Banks or Perkins might get him. It probably won't but what the heck... give it a shot.

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

Boston trades:

SG Ricky Davis
PG Gary Payton

New Orleans trades:

PG Baron Davis

No Way

To get Baron you need trade PP

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
You guys sound like Bulls fans WAY undervaluing other teams players and WAY overvaluing our garbage. Baron Davis is viewed by almost everyone as a top 3 point guard in the league and some even started to talk about him being THE best PG in the league last year....you do not get him for garbage Ricky & GP, you don't get him for even more garbage Raef and GP. These are equivilent to trade ideas to Bulls fans thinking they can get Paul Pierce from us for for a 3rd string Center and a bag of peanuts....please be Realistic, I don't want us sounding like those others!!!
Most likely the only way you EVER see Baron Davis in Green is for Paul Pierce, personally I wouldn't be upset about it because Baron is VERY good and PG is much harder to fill than SG. If there were any other way to get him without you can count on the fact that either Al Jefferson or Mark Blount would be involved along with another player you wouldn't like losing. You don't get an ALL STAR Point Guard for garbage:no:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts