Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While players in Europe spend time working on fundamentals at the highschool level(or at least that age), Americans spend time working in the weight room. Or at least that's the way it is at our school. All year we worked more in the weight room then on the court. Most of the players on the team never even play outside of school. As for me I'm most of the time practicing at my house or going downtown for pickup games. I try to learn the game, and practice what I learn on the court. While some people watch the game simply to see who wins, or to see the highlight dunks and plays, I watch to study the players moves. And so, the results don't lie, I'm one of the weakest on the team but the best player and overall the team is the worst in our D1 league in scoring and field goal percentage. Also on a higher level players like Gasol and Parker are great players just not as strong. There are still exceptions such as tyson chandler and dmiles, who oviously didn't spend much time in the weight room.

·
Registered
56 Posts
European players are taught all the fundamentals at an early age, Americans are taught to show up other players and try to play as spectacular as you can. But kenny smith made a point of maybe its just different and brings some intrigue to the NBA guys. he said maybe its not better, maybe its just different and something that we have never seen before. i dont know really.:|

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I guess you could make a debate about it. Personally I try to find a middle ground when working on fundamentals and trying to show up other players and trying to play spectacular.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
You said D1, do you mean as in college?

If so, then your coach needs to be fired. And even if you mean highschool, which I think you do, then your coach needs to be fired. What does D1 mean for highschool though?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Alot of the international players don't have the sheer athleticism that the American players possess and therefore have to rely on premier outside shooting and wise decision making. It makes them look fundamentally sound when they play because they are not constantly trying to jam it over someone.

Believe me, here the talent level drops right off as far as athleticism goes and we see good, well-drilled, fundamentally sound basketball every week.

That's why I hate it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, actually he was fired. I haven't met the new coach but hopefully he'll be better. Our former coach didn't have a single winning record in 10 years. And D1 means the same thing on the highschool level as it does in college, Division 1. If you wondering LeBron James team is Division 2, so we haven't played them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts