148 George Washington
208 Duquesne
223 Fordham
229 Charlotte
254 Rhode Island

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'll bet everyone will agree, and then remark on how these early season rankings are fun for speculation but fairly meaningless.

Then, on to whiskey discussion.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would take Duquesne finishing at that place in the standings in a heart beat!

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Sounds like you have to introduce me to Sandy when I next visit my daughter in Oswego.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Indiana's #1

Here is how the Atlantic 16 broke out.

32 St. Louis
36 Butler
37 Saint Joseph's
39 Temple
48 VCU
75 Massachusetts
96 Richmond
109 Dayton
117 Xavier
118 La Salle
121 St. Bonaventure
148 George Washington
208 Duquesne
223 Fordham
229 Charlotte
254 Rhode Island
As part of my vow to no longer get worked up about low finish predictions for Charlotte, I won't comment further on #229 for them. But these ratings seem kind of low overall to me if the conference is going to come close to the hype for this year, even with the injuries/suspensions. The top 4 teams seem about right actually, but many of the middle teams (Umass, Richmond, Dayton, La Salle) and lower teams (GW, Fordham, Charlotte) seem awfully low for teams actually expected to stay steady or improve over last year. If the conference is going to have an ~ 4 bid year, then the middle and lower teams will have to be stronger.

This would equal an avg finish of 118.

Here's last year's rpi finish as a rough guide:

19 Temple
31 St. Louis
38 VCU
41 Xavier
69 Saint Joseph's
72 St. Bonaventure
76 Massachusetts
81 Dayton
90 La Salle
109 Duquesne
113 Butler
127 Richmond
167 Charlotte
188 George Washington
240 Fordham
257 Rhode Island

Average rpi finish: 107.4
That was for 3 at-larges and one auto-bid, without including VCU and Butler.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
lol, Charlotte is far from an NCAA contender this year, but we're not the second worst team in the A10.
Actually, you are. Rhode Island has far better coaching and solid talent. As is the same with GW. Fordham is relatively the same as you, they have one star PF in Chris Gaston, with not much of a cast around him. Unfortunately for you, Gaston>Braswell. And Pecora>Major, and FU's supporting cast>Charlotte's supporting cast. You are better than Duquesne though, I'll give you that.

Also, it appalls me how overrated Butler is. You're expecting a team that finished 4th in the horizon to just come in and finish near the top of the A-10... Sure, they added the best shooter in the nation, but he's not gonna make THAT MUCH of a difference, especially when you're asking him to play an unfamiliar position for him, where has a Assist-to-Turnover ratio of 1:1. C'mon, get real. Butler will suck this year, they won't even finish top half of the A-10. In a few years they will be one of the best in the conference (once they get A-10 recruits), but for now they suck. If they finish top half, then this conference really is mediocre.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I too am baffled by the Butler love. I guess making back to back NC will carry a lot of weight and you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Butler love? WTF are you talking about? They are #11 in our conference by that order?

... and #113 doesn't even get them in the CBI or whatever that tournamnet is called.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Speaking of lists, St Louis clocks in at #25 in ESPN's top 25.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Sounds like you have to introduce me to Sandy when I next visit my daughter in Oswego.
I would likely not introduce Sandy to my worst enemy. Hopefully she is not as nasty to you Midwesterners as she was to us. Lost power at 6:30 last night, and it is still out now.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I too am baffled by the Butler love. I guess making back to back NC will carry a lot of weight and you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
Stevens' ability to coach defense definitely helps them in this ranking, and rightfully so. Getting an all-sec transfer who is the best in the country in an area of desperate need is certainly going to help, and so does the high percentage of returning minutes. These are some pretty basic, common sense factors that a naysayer should probably attempt to account for.

But this guy isn't even taking it that far. These are just things that he has discovered to correlate well with improvement. Purely numbers. He's not biased, he's just looking at past data that says butler should be a much better team than a year ago.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
And as far as butler not having a-10 caliber recruits, I really have to wonder what somebody is thinking when they say that. They have more a-10 caliber recruits than the vast majority of a-10 teams right now. They were extremely inexperienced last year, but that gets us back to Hanner's data which tells us...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Remember that Butler was ranked 28th in adjusted defensive efficiency last season and bring back their top 2 defenders (and one of the freshman is billed as an elite on ball defender). They struggled because they were horrific at perimeter shooting. It wasn't just their major weakness, it was really their only weakness. Now they have the best shooting backcourt in the country to go along with a very good defense and a frontcourt that many have voted the best in the A10. They aren't without questions (can their offense operate efficiently without a traditional PG, can their guard depth hold up), but there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Butler. There are lots of reasons to be optimistic about teams such as St. Joes, VCU, St. Louis, etc as well. I guess I really don't understand how anyone can be too upset at preseason A10 rankings. These teams are so close you can justify just about anything.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
All of this pre-season stuff is a complete joke.

Saint Joe's in 3rd place, UMass in 6th place and La Salle in 10th place? No chance.

La Salle, Saint Joe's and UMass are all about the same caliber... there is no way as all were NIT caliber teams and all are returning most of their team. The jokers that come up with this stuff are media that don't even follow the A10.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts