Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't be the only person who likes to mess around with the Player Game Finder on basketball-reference.com when bored, so I figured I'd start a thread to share some of the more interesting/unbelievable numbers. For those of you who don't know, the tool allows you to search for games (by specific player or for any player) with basically whatever statistical thresholds you want. Data goes back to the 1985-86 season. Here is the link for those interested. Add your own as you come across them.

One of my favorites is the Jamaal Tinsley 5x5 game from 2001. To put it in perspective, a 5x5 (5+ points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals) has been accomplished just 14 times. Six times by Hakeem, three times by AK47 and once each for David Robinson, Derrick Coleman, Vlade Divac, Marcus Camby and Jamaal Tinsley. Tinsley's came in a double-OT loss to Minnesota early in the 01-02 season. Tinsley fouled out and shot just 3-16 from the floor, but somehow ended up with 12 points, 15 assists, 9 rebounds, 6 steals and 5 blocks in 51 minutes. That's right, 5 blocks from the 6'3" point guard. To date, Tinsley has yet to record more than 2 blocks in any of his other 490 career regular season games.

Joel Anthony's incredible 29 minute stint on the court in a 109-100 Heat victory over the Blazers in 2011. While LeBron James (44/13/6) and Dwyane Wade (34/8/5) did the heavy lifting, Anthony put up an unbelievable stat line of his own: 29 minutes, 0 points on 0-0 FG, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 blocks and 0 steals. He did manage to turn the ball over once and commit 4 fouls, but the 0/0/0/0/0 line has not been duplicated by any player logging more than 25 minutes in a game. Incredibly, later that month Anthony himself nearly replicated the feat with 0 points on 0-0 FG, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals and 1 block in 25 minutes.

I don't remember this one happening at all, but apparently it did. A player grabbing 15+ offensive rebounds in one game happened three times in 1997, twice by Jayson Williams and once by Dennis Rodman. After that, we went almost 15 years without having another 15+ ORB game when the streak was broken by...Andray Blatche! That's right, in an early April game between the 15-59 Cleveland Cavaliers and the 18-56 Washington Wizards, Blatche exploded for 36 points and 19 rebounds, 16 of which were on the offensive end. The game also featured a triple-double by Jordan Crawford. Blatche is still the only active player to have accomplished the feat, not Dwight Howard (career high 11), Kevin Love (12), Kevin Garnett (11) or Tim Duncan (12).

Oldest player to record a triple double? Yes an all-time great, but probably not one you'd guess. Karl Malone at the age of 40 with the Lakers. Only player to attempt double-digit field goals in a playoff game and miss them all? Charles Barkley. There have been 13 games where a player has scored 40+ points and shot less than 40% from the field. Over half of them (7) are by Kobe. Only player with 20+ rebounds in a game, none of which coming on the offensive end? Dirk Nowitzki. Only player to score 50+ points off the bench? Nick Anderson, not Jamal Crawford who has started in all 3 of his 50 point games.

You get the idea, now post yours.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
One of my all-time favorites: in a 2005 game against the Grizzlies, Rip Hamilton became the only player in NBA history to lead his team in scoring without making a shot by going 0-10 from the field and 14-14 from the free throw line. The most points ever by a player without making a shot was Darrick Martin in 1996 with 15.

Dennis Rodman is the only player to ever record 10+ offensive rebounds in a game without scoring a point... and he did it twice.

Hakeem once scored 48 points in a game without attempting a 3-pointer or free throw, 10 more than the next closest guy.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my all-time favorites: in a 2005 game against the Grizzlies, Rip Hamilton became the only player in NBA history to lead his team in scoring without making a shot by going 0-10 from the field and 14-14 from the free throw line.
Damn, now that's a good one.

Dennis Rodman is the only player to ever record 10+ offensive rebounds in a game without scoring a point... and he did it twice.
Rodman is good for a lot of crazy numbers. Here's a good one: 9 times has a player played 45+ minutes without scoring. 5 of those were by Rodman, but by far the most surprising name is Ricky Davis. How on earth does Ricky Davis stay on the floor for 45 minutes without scoring, what else is he giving you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts