Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Was waiting for that argument...but I was surprised it came from you. You're too intelligent for that argument.

It didn't work because Binghamton shit the bed while re-building...and make no mistake, they will rebuild. It also shit the bed because UHA was going through changes and because UMBC needs to MAKE A CHANGE (RANDY).

It also didn't work because even the top teams were a bit overrated from a recruiting standpoint.

What won't work: Playing meaningless games against Suffolk, Maine-Machias, and other bottom feeders.

Making teams stronger internally is the right move. This...was not the right move at all!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Oh boy...not a good sign at all.

That's a ****ing disgrace.
Wow - the AE really allows teams to play up to 4 non-DI opponents? NEC policy requires teams schedule only DI opponents.

Teams should schedule non-conference opponents with the best RPI/win-loss record possible relative to the strength of their team. The goal of non-conference scheduling is to have at least a .500 winning percentage. Non-conference competition shall be against Division I opponents only. Bryant will be allowed to schedule one non-DI opponent in 2010-11 and 2011-12.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was waiting for that argument...but I was surprised it came from you. You're too intelligent for that argument.

It didn't work because Binghamton shit the bed while re-building...and make no mistake, they will rebuild. It also shit the bed because UHA was going through changes and because UMBC needs to MAKE A CHANGE (RANDY).

It also didn't work because even the top teams were a bit overrated from a recruiting standpoint.

What won't work: Playing meaningless games against Suffolk, Maine-Machias, and other bottom feeders.

Making teams stronger internally is the right move. This...was not the right move at all!
I was probably a bit too flip. Filling out IRS forms will do that.

I agree with the previous restrictions on sub-DI's. I don't necessarily hate those games- they are basically zeroes (RPI neutral). You don't need to play more than 1 or 2, or you didn't do a good job filling out your schedule. If it's August and you still have an open date that you can't fill without having to fly to Utah Valley and not getting a return game? Go ahead and play Husson, probably a better option when considering the costs.

But I think that the argument about having to meet a certain RPI target with your D-I opponents is counterproductive. In my mind, a team like Maine or UNH is better off scheduling winnable games than worrying about meeting that RPI goal. Every AE team is going to play some money games, where they (likely) will get waxed against a high major, good RPI team. Now, lets say that you play somewhere between 3 and 6 games against these "majors." That leaves 10-14 or so games to schedule. There are a number of strategies you can use to fill out that schedule, and there's no magic bullet to get a good RPI.

If you schedule 8 "solid mid-majors," like CAA, top half MAAC, top half Ivy, top half PL, and lose all 8, what have you really accomplished? You have 2-3 wins against the Bryants and NJITs of the world, and 11 losses. Would your RPI be higher than if you swapped that, played 8 bottom half of the NEC, bottom half of the Ivy, bottom half of the MAAC, won 8, and lost 2-3 against those solid mid majors?

If you go, say, 10-4 against a horrible non-conference schedule, you won't be sitting at a sub-300 RPI when the conference season rolls around. If you overschedule and go 2-12? You might be sub-300.

Regardless, I'm also in the "at the end of the day, it doesn't matter" camp. If you're good and play a bad schedule, you'll win a bunch of games and inflate your RPI. If you're good and play a good schedule, you'll hopefully go .500 and have a decent RPI. If you're bad and play a bad schedule, maybe you win a few more games than you would against a good schedule and sneak up to like 300 in the RPI instead of 330. If you're bad and play a good schedule, maybe you sit above the really crappy teams in the RPI at like 310. And at the end of the day, is the conference winner playing a 300-RPI UMBC (example, not prediction) twice that much better than a 310-RPI UMBC?

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Oh boy...not a good sign at all.

That's a ****ing disgrace.
This requirement was nixed I think last year...coaches thought the requirement led to more losing season which negatively impacted league RPI. If you look at the numbers...there does appear to be at least on the periphery a correlation to the scheduling requirements going in and league RPI dropping. Sure, one could say well you need to win some games and recruit better...but the flip side is scheduling a tough schedule or at least tougher while your program is 'ish doesn't do you or the league any good...going down time after time to high-mids or high's doesn't help. You are better off with a better W-L record against lows...

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Wow - the AE really allows teams to play up to 4 non-DI opponents? NEC policy requires teams schedule only DI opponents.
Now THAT IS a disgrace...shame on anyone playing one let alone more then one DII team...I would have kept the requirement of max 1 DII game.

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
WTF... $&@€*^!!?

Watch, This will mean Stony Brook will schedule 4 Non- D1 schools.

Corran- better start placing some calls!!

·
Premium Member
33,188 Posts
The conference schedule mandate previous was a great idea, just poorly executed.

The bands in terms of RPI requirements were simply too wide, allowing some schools (you know who you are- it was so obvious) to just schedule the bare minimum to comply with the mandate.

The requirements just needed to be more strict. Additionally, there is a much higher probability a mid with a 200 level RPI will then have a 250 or 300 RPI the next year then it is for it to jump between say 50-100 on a year to year basis.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
CAA had a rule prohibiting it, but I think Hofstra played one this year (I think you have to ask permission). NU won't under Coen. We've turned down exempt tourneys if there's a possibility we'd have to pay a D-II.

If you're in a true "one bid league" then the RPI thing is somewhat of a useless rule, I'll give you that. Playing a tougher schedule does nothing but gets coaches fired - let's be honest, that's why they got rid of the rule.

However, don't give me "we have a hard time getting games."

We're offering cash to play us, and a combo of a 2/1. We had no takers from the AE. None.

You have a hard time getting games you want, simple.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
That's the go to excuse of you know who you are...we can't get games. You can't get games? Schedule two games less and stop embarrassing yourself and the AE.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the go to excuse of you know who you are...we can't get games. You can't get games? Schedule two games less and stop embarrassing yourself and the AE.
What do you care if Maine plays an instate school? It doesn't hurt anyone's RPI, and more people care about Maine hosting a D-III made up of Maine kids than they do Maine against practically anyone else.

Those of us that care enough about Maine non-hockey sports to post about it online (of which there are what, 5? compared to the seemingly thousands on USCHO) know its a crap game. Joe Six-Allen's-Coffee-Brandys from Newport is going to get more excited that he can see some local high school heroes he watched in the state tournament that are now at Husson or Thomas or USM face off against those furriners with the funny names up in Orono.

It's a good will gesture. Yes, winning is what would eventually get the hockey watching masses interested in Black Bear basketball in large numbers. Should Maine take the 2-for-1 with NU instead? Probably, but how many 2-for-1's can you take before you turn into Alabama A&M and have like 2 non-conference home games in a given season? It's not like the RPI knocks points off Maine or the conference for playing the game, so, again, what does it matter if they throw a satellite UM school a bone and get to fill a home date they wouldn't otherwise?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
At the point that the AE is at most recently I think I am less concerned about us having a minimum RPI rule than other conferences
Having an RPI rule. If the other low-mid majors have a minimum rule then teams like UHA/BingU and UMBC will have a difficult time finding anyone who will and/or can schedule 300+ RPI teams.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
CAA had a rule prohibiting it, but I think Hofstra played one this year (I think you have to ask permission). NU won't under Coen. We've turned down exempt tourneys if there's a possibility we'd have to pay a D-II.

If you're in a true "one bid league" then the RPI thing is somewhat of a useless rule, I'll give you that. Playing a tougher schedule does nothing but gets coaches fired - let's be honest, that's why they got rid of the rule.

We're offering cash to play us, and a combo of a 2/1. We had no takers from the AE. None.

You have a hard time getting games you want, simple.
2 for 1 to play Northeastern???!!!......pffft.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

You have a hard time getting games you want, simple.[/QUOTE

Northeastern offering America East schools 2 for 1's? Did I miss something and did Northeastern join the Big East, ACC, SEC and I missed it? Are you kidding me? I respect your love of your school but this is getting crazy! You speak of them as they are a powerhouse in college basketball and should be mentioned in the same breath as Florida, Duke, North Carolina! Come On Man!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts