Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the agent for Portland Trail Blazers forward, Nicolas Batum, they will not be holding off on deals to allow the Trail Blazers to sign a couple of free agents before the team tends to his client, who's a restricted free agent.

“The first good offer we get, we're going with that,” Bouna Ndiaye of Comsport Management told CSNNW.com. “We're not waiting for anything.”

The Trail Blazers had hoped they would be able to spend their $15-20 million in cap space to sign at least two key free agents first. Being that the Trail Blazers own Batum's Bird rights, they could go over the cap to sign him.

However, if a team decides to approach Batum's camp with a front-loaded offer early on, the Trail Blazers would be forced to make a decision on matching that offer within three days.

Back in April, CSNNW.com got word Batum would command $10-11 million this summer and if that number is accurate and the Trail Blazers were to match, that would be a significant amount of cap space tied-up, putting a damper on the flexibility the Trail Blazers were expecting to have.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/nicolas-batum-isnt-waiting-around-will-sign-first-good-offer/

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't blame him. The Blazers could've signed him to an extension before the year, but they didn't want to, so he doesn't owe them any favors. I wonder what teams will be interested in him though. Underrated defender, inconsistent offense.

·
Lifetime Member
24,723 Posts
I like him, although I don't really get to see him a lot with him playing in Portland. Would like to see him in Minnesota.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I have a hard time seeing him as a 10 or 11 million dollar player if the new CBA means a max deal starts at 14. Seems like he's more like 8 is more likely, but it only takes one team to offer him that much.

·
Administrator
115,885 Posts
Not even about the Blazers. It's more about just taking anything. He should have said best offer with the best situation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was joking FWIW
Noted.

I think the issue right now is about him saying that he's not going to worry about what is best for the Blazers, he's only worried about what is best for him. I think we should probably wait until he actually signs an offer sheet somewhere before we decide if he only cares about money.

·
Administrator
115,885 Posts
Was being facetious with my first comment.

But I do think they should have at least said the second thing I said. I like Batum though.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
I thought you had to renounce a player's rights to claim the cap space? Did the CBA change that? What's this about signing new players and then re-signing your old guys? I didn't think those sim-league-type maneuvers were capable in the NBA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts