seton hall (1)
providence (1)
illinois (1)
UNC ahead of UK? That's weird.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there were two people that did not vote for kentucky at all. probably an oversight.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Brian34Cook</b>!
At least Illinois got one vote :)

Doesnt matter to me anyways :laugh:
The Illini are one of those teams that will be back in my top 25 very quickly, once they get a quality win. I think they have the potential to easily win the Big Ten.

We will see what happens, though. In the games that I have watched, Illinois has struggled moving the ball, and getting (making) good shots. They have what it takes inside, but need a wing to step up here very soon.

It will be interesting to see where Illinois ends up. If they struggle, this is looking like a very weak Big Ten.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Syracuse was not ranked last year at this point. Food for thought.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Re: Re: ***bbbnet top 25 for january 12!!!***

Originally posted by <b>UKfan4Life</b>!

UNC ahead of UK? That's weird.
Ouch - that sux.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>xubrew</b>!
there were two people that did not vote for kentucky at all. probably an oversight.
So they are really the #5 team and UNC is #6. Both a little higher then I had them (#9 and #11).

There's not much to differentiate teams after Stanford. Wake, Duke, UConn.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
What if?

Syracuse had beaten Charlotte 96-92 rather then losing by that same score. Where would you rank them?

I know it's somewhat silly, because many teams have close losses that could have went either way, but this is for the sake of discussion.

I would probably have them at somewhere between 4-6.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!
Syracuse was not ranked last year at this point. Food for thought.
They should have been between 20-25 at this point last year, I beleive they were 11-1, and they then had that marquee victory against Missouri on Jan 13. Basically the same path as this year, as they lost their first game and then went on a long winning streak against mostly soft opponenets, but the last 5 games of their streak were more impressive.

In retrospect it seems so silly that SU Fans rushed the court after beating Missouri las week. A win against Missouri, hardly seems to be anything special now.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, the thing about syracuse for me is that tonight was the first time this season they have left the state. their only other "road" game was against saint bonaventure on what was more neutral than road, who has only won 4 games thus far. they only have 2 wins against rpi top 50 teams and one of those was against rhode island, who also lost to an naia team and syracuse struggled against them. they have an impressive record, but for the most part, it has been against unimpressive teams and most of the teams people are ranking ahead of them would probably have the same record. they never leave home. last year out of all 327 teams, the home team won over 68% of the time. not only have they not left home, they haven't played all that many teams that are any good while staying at home. if they win in conference, i'll vote them higher, but not now, even if they had beaten charlotte.

hollis questioned why people wouldn't vote connecticut #1 earlier. same story. they have one win against an rpi top 50 team and have only played 2 true road games. one was at rice and the other was against rutgers. they barely won one and didn't play well in the other. i think they are one of the better teams, but the teams i have voted higher such as stanford, louisville, kentucky, wake forest, have played tougher schedules and beaten better teams than uconn has. lehigh, army, yale, iona, ball state, etc, are not tough teams to beat at home and thus far, that has been the bulk of their schedule.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Good points Xubrew, all points I am well aware of as I question there abilities. Only recently am I starting to get some hope in this team, as they have soundly beaten Michigan St, Boston College, and Missouri. The wins themselves are expected, but the manner of victory has been somewhat impressive.

Remember SU was ranked in the top 10 preseason. If they kept undefeated there would be an inherent bias, to keep moving them on up throughout the year, regardless of who they have played. It would be like the UConn effect "They haven't proved anything but they did not have to prove anything".

The media would certainly have them ranked top 5, whether deserved or not.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!
What if?

Syracuse had beaten Charlotte 96-92 rather then losing by that same score. Where would you rank them?

I know it's somewhat silly, because many teams have close losses that could have went either way, but this is for the sake of discussion.

I would probably have them at somewhere between 4-6.
If Syracuse had beaten Charlotte, most people would probably consider them a top 2 or 3 team right now. Certainly ranked ahead of UConn. To me, that's sad. A couple of bounces of the basketball shouldn't drastically change a team's ranking, especially so early in the season.

I had them in the 15-25 range to start the year, and right now I've got them a bit better than that. They've won some pretty impressive games of late.

I still wonder how they will fare against the Pitts and UConn's of the league. If they finish the season with only a couple of conference losses, they will move into my top five. Until then, 10-15 seems like a great place.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To me, that's sad. A couple of bounces of the basketball shouldn't drastically change a team's ranking, especially so early in the season.

it usually evens out though. in march, no one cares what you were ranked in january. more times than not no one even remembers. if syracuse is that good and can show they are better than some of the teams in the big east that are currently ranked higher by beating them, they will certainly be ranked high.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts