Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Who are your last six guys (after Moses, Magic, Bird, and Isiah)?"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inspired by this thread: http://www.basketballforum.com/nba-forum/469323-00s-90s-80s-team-do-you-choose.html

Simple premise. We are trying to make the best possible 10-man roster of players who dominated the decade from 1980 to 1989. I do not think we should require that the player fit into any particular positional requirements. Whatever 10 guys you think would make the best possible overall team, you post.

Let me help a little. Here are the top 31 players in the decade (sorted by PER) that played a reasonable amount of their career (over 410 games - 5 full seasons) during that time period:

1) Bird (24.1 PER; 717 Game Played)
2) Magic (23.8; 716)
3) Moses (23.3; 778)
4) Dantley (22.5; 684)
5) Dr J (22.4; 602)
6) Kareem (21.7; 787)
7) Dan Issel (21.4; 476)
8) Nique (21.4; 559)
9) Gervin (21.1; 547)
10) Drexler (21.0; 478)
11) Alex English (20.9; 811)
12) Mark Aguirre (20.5; 602)
13) McHale (20.2; 694)
14) Parish (20.2; 786)
15) Terry Cummings (20.0; 550)
16) Bernard King (19.9; 535)
17) Larry Nance (19.8; 587)
18) Marques Johnson (19.4; 524)
19) Vandeweghe (19.3; 605)
20) Gilmore (19.1; 633)
21) Moncrief (19.1; 695)
22) Isiah (19.1; 635)
23) World B. Free (19.0; 583)
24) Gus Williams (18.9; 511)
25) Walter Davis (18.6; 687)
26) Doc Rivers (18.4; 441)
27) Fat Lever (18.2; 557)
28) Sikma (18.2; 795)
29) Worthy (18.2; 552)
30) Dale Ellis (18.0; 450)
31) Calvin Natt (18.0; 585)

EDIT: We've had 4 unanimous selections thusfar - Moses, Magic, Bird, and Isiah. We also had another 3 guys named by all but 1 poster - McHale, Nique, and Moncrief. If you are one of the posters with a strong opinion against one of those three guys, please post that opinion. Everyone make sure you vote for six (6) players in the poll.

Also, take a look at the BBF 2000's All Decade Team thread and the 1990's All Decade Team thread and the BBF 1970's All Decade Team thread. Vote there, too.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I stated in my 90's thread, I will not be ranking any player on more than one team. For that reason, I have considered Kareem a 70's guy. Also, I have Jordan in my 90's list. Drexler and Nique did not make my 90's team, so I will also consider them for this team.

I'm going to go with the Chief over Dan Issel and Artis Gilmore because of his versatility and ability to play within a team concept.

Bird, Magic, Moses, Isiah, and McHale are the other no-brainers in my mind. That leaves 4 spots open with plenty of wing spots to fill and plenty of talented wing players to do it with. Perhaps no two players compliment each other's skills at the wing spots better than the Squid and the Iceman. You almost have to choose just one out of Dantley, English, and Nique. This team has a bit of a shortage in athleticism, so I'll take Nique. For the last spot, I'm looking for positional versatility on both sides of the ball, post scoring, and ability to run the floor with the 90's and 00's teams. That all scream Big Game James to me.

PG Magic/Isiah
SG Gervin/Moncrief
SF Bird/Nique
PF McHale/Worthy
C Moses/Parish

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Mike's most dominant statistical seasons were in the 80s and he was the best in class at his position player in both the 80s and 90s so I cant

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
A 10-man lineup of the top players of the 1980s, though I do have the right to change my list:

PG: Magic Johnson (starter); Isiah Thomas
SG: Michael Jordan (starter); Sidney Moncrief
SF: Larry Bird (starter); Dominique Wilkins
PF: Kevin McHale (starter); Charles Barkley
C: Moses Malone (starter); Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Jordan may have been great in the 80's but I'm not repeating players so he's out. Same reason Kareem won't be on my list.

So far the no brainers are Magic, Bird, Isaiah, Mchale, and Moses. I'll add Worthy, Dominique, Parish, Moncrief, and Gervin to this list.

I may sub out one of my wings for a big to make a more cohesive team though. Maybe another shooter too.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Bernard King was the Muther you know what. He could score on anyone anytime anywhere.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
PG- Magic / Isiah;
SG- Jordan / Moncrief;
SF- Bird / Ellis;
PF- Malone / Barkley;
C- Akeem / Moses
Dale Ellis?

Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale
Kareem
Barkley
Moses
Nique
Isiah
Worthy

Anyone picking King, English, Nique, Dr. J or Dantley over Worthy confuses me. Worthy is versatile to blend into any lineup and those other guys are pretty useless if they aren't the first option.

I'm looking at my team though and I really want to pick Moncrief for his defense... might take out Barkley for him.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
The Doctor was a hell of a defensive player and in his 80s incarnation didnt have to be the #1 (but he wasnt half the player he was in the 70s which is why he's nott on my 80s squad)

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The poll has been posted.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Dale Ellis?
Yes.

Rounding up the team, i saw a relevant flaw: lack of long-range bombers (besides Bird, off course).
I thought about adding Mark Price instead of Zeke, but it would almost seem blasphemy. I had to get Sidney as the sub SG, considering his defense and all-around play. So i was to add a scorer who could consistently make the 3pt shot. Nor Nique, King, English, etc., fitted the bill.

So, yeah, Dale Ellis. A volume scorer in his prime, whith range, who doesn't need to dominate the ball.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
EDIT: We've had 4 unanimous selections thusfar - Moses, Magic, Bird, and Isiah. We also had another 3 guys named by all but 1 poster - McHale, Nique, and Moncrief. If you are one of the posters with a strong opinion against one of those three guys, please post that opinion. Everyone make sure you vote for six (6) players in the poll.
McHale was a great player, no doubt. But only if you are considering Karl Malone and/or Chuck as "90's players" should his name come into discussion. Was McHale the third best PF of the 80's? Probably.

About Nique (who i loved, btw), his defense (lack off), ball-domination and erratic shooting shouldn't put him over guys like Bernard King and/or Dantley.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Yes.

Rounding up the team, i saw a relevant flaw: lack of long-range bombers (besides Bird, off course).
I thought about adding Mark Price instead of Zeke, but it would almost seem blasphemy. I had to get Sidney as the sub SG, considering his defense and all-around play. So i was to add a scorer who could consistently make the 3pt shot. Nor Nique, King, English, etc., fitted the bill.

So, yeah, Dale Ellis. A volume scorer in his prime, whith range, who doesn't need to dominate the ball.
yep, I changed my vote for this very reason - Magic developed range late and you got Larry of course but after that it's slim pickins because the trey was not a huge element strategically yet (which is not to say that there werent others who could bomb like Cooper or Michael Adams for instance)

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
McHale was a great player, no doubt. But only if you are considering Karl Malone and/or Chuck as "90's players" should his name come into discussion. Was McHale the third best PF of the 80's? Probably.

Just my opinion.
how many guys have ever averaged 26 ppg shooting 60% from the floor while being named an all nba first team defender? we are talking primes - the only reason we dont talk about McHale more is his bad ankles (and the fact that he might have been overshadowed a bit by whats-his-face with the whispy teen-stache)

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
how many guys have ever averaged 26 ppg shooting 60% from the floor while being named an all nba first team defender? we are talking primes - the only reason we dont talk about McHale more is his bad ankles (and the fact that he might have been overshadowed a bit by whats-his-face with the whispy teen-stache)
Yes, that was a legen - wait for it - dary! season for McHale, wich didn't maintain that magnificent level of play. But i'll be damned if i pick a 86-87 McHale over a guy like Karl Malone. Over Chuck? Probably, but one season doesn't define a player. And i got Chuck on my sub 5 to create havok and run the floor.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
his next season 23ppg 60% and another first team D nod wasnt shabby either but then he went on an episode of Cheers and was never quite the same

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
yep, I changed my vote for this very reason - Magic developed range late and you got Larry of course but after that it's slim pickins because the trey was not a huge element strategically yet (which is not to say that there werent others who could bomb like Cooper or Michael Adams for instance)
Oh, man, i remeber Adams on that awfull Denver team hoisting 3 pointers like there was no tomorrow, and with the ugliest form i've ever seen!

Ah, good times!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts