Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To celebrate my 1 year aniversary here on BBB.net I am officially giving up on the Sheed/anti-Sheed debate. It is now a moot point.

I do have a question, however........

Many of you felt Sheed was such a "bad character" guy you couldn't root for the team as long as he was around. Will you now root for a team that still includes Rueben "the Nanny Stopper" Patterson?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
To celebrate my 1 year aniversary here on BBB.net I am officially giving up on the Sheed/anti-Sheed debate. It is now a moot point.

Many of you felt Sheed was such a "bad character" guy you couldn't root for the team as long as he was around. Will you now root for a team that still includes Rueben "the Nanny Stopper" Patterson?
I don't think anyone who posts here on a regular basis wouldn't root for the blazers as a result of Sheed being here. I do think though that many were tired of his percieved attitude.

BTW I also am going to try to avoid the Sheed/ antiSHeed debate as it is indeed fruitless at this point. The only debate that will be relevant is when the end of the season comes around and we can debate if the team would have been better or worse with Sheed.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well does Patterson jar with the refs all game? No! Does he feel the need to question every call to the point where the refs are about to T him every game? No! Does he have to be right no matter what position that puts his team in? Does he work his butt off every time he's in? Yes! Has he called D Stern a freaking racist just this year?No! Has he already gotten more T's before the allstar break than he did all last year? No

Let me think about it a while.............

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I appreciate your avoidance of the Rasheed trade debate, Schilly and OMG... I'm trying to argue on both sides enough for both of you :)

As far as OMG's question: not applicable to me.

Ed O.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What a player has done in the past, while not to be disregarded, doesn't affect my rooting for the team.

If this team goes out, plays hard team basketball, wins, and gives interviews :), I really don't care about the off-the-court issues. (Obviously I don't want to see these guys harming anyone with their issues.)
As long as Ruben doesn't Alford another nanny and keeps up his positive contributions to the team, I will cheer for him and the Blazers.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts

My problem with Rasheed wasn't off-court antics, it was his perpetual underachievement, "don't give a damn" attitude, and humongous salary (in context with the other two). Ruben, for his legal issues, overachieves on a consistent basis, very definately gives a damn, and is not overpriced for what he brings.

Oh, and the nanny thing happened in Seattle. You know, before he got here. More valid to discuss that thing that happened between Ruben and his wife last season. Oh yeah, she dropped the charges on that, didn't she?

PBF

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
Well does Patterson jar with the refs all game? No! Does he feel the need to question every call to the point where the refs are about to T him every game? No! Does he have to be right no matter what position that puts his team in? Does he work his butt off every time he's in? Yes! Has he called D Stern a freaking racist just this year?No! Has he already gotten more T's before the allstar break than he did all last year? No

Let me think about it a while.............
And you consider these things greater offenses than rape, breaking a man's jaw, or allegations of spousal abuse?

I guess I just have a different moral compass than some of you.:|

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I personaly root for the team, because they are my team. I dislike having Rueben and his legal baggage on the team. I also feel the Zach incident was totally created and escalated by Rueben, yet Zach responded very poorly.

Personally Rueben is easier to ignor as he plays his arse off and his particular issues are off the court. Rasheeds attitude left a bigger imprint on the team itself and at times his temperment hurt the success of the team.

I guess a lot of the time I viewed him as the ringleader of a glut of immaturity.

One thing that bothers me is the empty seats at the RG and if you ask around town most people buy into the Jail Blazers hype. I know many people who used to watch plenty of games but to date coudn't care less about the team and Sheed was the percieved figurehead. And considering he was the best player on the team he also was more often than not the most controversial, I can see where they are coming from.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Don't worry, we'll find a new scapegoat...

It should have always been Damon, but it still won't be because the media loves him.

If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be Randolph by the end of the season, especially if they miss the playoffs.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Ruben

Ruben is so opposite of Rasheed's personality.

If anybody really deserved a second chance,it was Ruben and I have absolutely forgotten his prior problems.

Not only does he bring it everynight,but he is always polite,smiles,and really seems to like the game.

And unlike Sheed..
he doesn't look like he is having a blast on
the court after a loss...
He always looks and sounds like he feels bad.

I am not sure what your point really is..
All of us have rooted for a team that played their best,whether Rashheed was on the court or not.

Don't you think Ruben deserves a little
more kindness at this point??

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Daaaaamon..... Daaaaamon..... Daaaaamon!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!

Dang Blazer Ringbearer... you are really probably right... Mighty Mouse will now get all the heat if we don't make the playoffs.

JK, I doubt anyone here stopped cheering for the Blazers, even with Sheed. Heck... I tried to defend him many times.

·
Registered
460 Posts

I'll assume that I'm one of those you're addressing in your question.

I feel much differently about Patterson than I do about Wallace. Wallace's on court nonsense, (T's, towels, attitude, effort) are what made him a guy I can't cheer for. Wallace's off court problems were just piling it on, even if the offenses weren't that serious. Clearly RP's off court issues are far more serious that RW's.

I haven't attended games in some time both because of my distaste for Mr. Wallace's on-court behavior, and because I never knew if he (or the team) would come to play. On any given night Wallace might show up and carry the team, or he might flit around the arc, spending more time running his mouth than playing the game.

I love RP's high energy style, and the fact he always brings it. From an entertainment value perspective, I get my money's worth from RP's efforts. RW sometimes gave me my money's worth, sometimes more than my money's worth...but too often he just didn't seem to give a damn. That left me feeling ripped off.

RP WANTS to be here. That is evidenced by Patterson's own words, and by the fact that he has put the fiasco with Zach behind him. That's either being a team player, or being a wuss...and I don't think RP is a wuss. According to Paul Allen, RW didn't want to play here next year, period. He got his wish...cool! :cheers:

Bottom line is the team promised to clean up the Blazer's act and win the fans back. Wallace is gone, a huge step in the right direction...BUT, to clean up the team, IMO they need to move RP and Damon. I don't need a team of chior boys, but having a registered sex offender on the team just isn't an image they can afford, IMO.

Nanny Stopper???? :laugh:

Pretty funny!

Go Blazers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts