Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6th man award:

Radman is out 4-6 weeks , Hedo out for the season and Stack still out for the 2nd time. Add to that his affect on our W/L ratio , especially with his 4th Q play (leading the league in DF scoring ) and I can only get to one result:
At the moment Ben deserves the 6th man award more than any other player in the league!!!

ROY:

Yes , Okafur has better numbers , but he hasn't been playing as well lately , his team ain't winning (not his fault) , had an injury. Ben on the other hand , is playing better than the 2 first month.
Emeka took Nov and Dec , while Ben took Jan and Feb EC ROM. At the moment , it ain't clear who's gonna take March (hope Ben scores 30 every game) , but I'd say the leading candidate might be none of them - Jameer is scoring about 16 per game (and his team losing).
I think if the award would've been given now - Emeka and Ben would take it together! at least for the sake of the drama.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I hope he gets at least one of the awards. He certainly deserves it IMO.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Scottie Pippen agrees:

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog30.html

The ballots aren't due until the end of the season but I'm casting mine right now .... Ben Gordon for NBA Rookie of the Year. I know, I know ..... a former Bull voting for a fellow Bull, right? Well, the numbers back up my case. We'll get to that in a second, though. I think Ben deserves the honor over Emeka Okafor of the Bobcats because he's been much more productive while playing less minutes. Plus, the Bulls are winning. Gordon's production in a limited amount of time means a lot more than Okafor's, who plays a lot of minutes and speads his numbers over four four quarters for an expansion team. Gordon's proving that he can come in and do it in just in the fourth quarter for a winning team. At last check, Ben has recorded 18 double figure scoring fourth quarters this season. Where does that rank in the NBA? No. 1. Think about that. That's ahead of such great scorers as Iverson, Kobe and T-Mac.

Not only do I think Ben is deserving of top rookie honors, I also think he should win the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year Award as well. I know it would be the first time for any rookie to achieve this double double but nobody expected the Bulls to be in the playoffs this season and Gordon's play off the bench is a big reason why. This kid has been expected to come in and play a huge role down the stretch of games and is delivering time and time again. I think Scott Skiles' strategy of inserting him in the game off the bench is great because Gordon is a huge spark for the team. If you put Ben out there as a starter, the Bulls would lose some of their bench strength. Plus, other teams haven't been able to figure Gordon out because he's not out on the floor a whole lot.

Bottom Line: Ben is doing more with less minutes for a winning team. And isn't that what really counts -- the rookie making the most impact in helping his team win?

Also thinks Hinrich should be all-NBA 3'rd team. Scotties become quite the homer in the last couple of years. :) It's nice to see.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
It's good to see Scottie become such a big fan of our guys. I think Gordon should win 6th man of the year, not rookie of the year though. I think Deng has had a bigger impact than Gordon this year, and Okafor should probably get it. He has been consistently good this year in a lot of minutes.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okafur also played much more minutes... Forgot about that of course.

BTW - anyone know when Stack is supposed to return from injury???

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Well, I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of 6th man than Ben Gordon, especially with injuries to other key 6th men...but then one of my most hated players in the league has quietly gone on a rampage off the Celtics bench:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ricky_davis/index.html

47% FG, 35% 3-pt, 81% FT, 15.7 ppg, 2.9 reb, 2.9 asst, 1.13 steals.

Even I have to admit, those are some of the best 6th man numbers I've ever seen...and with the rise of the Celtics lately, I think Ricky Davis is the leader for this award right now.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
sloth said:
he said Kirk deserves 3rd team honors. That is just stupid.

funny.

pippen vs. slug, uh, i mean sloth.

uh, going with pippen!!!

:biggrin:

as to the rest of the thread. i think ben is more likely to get 6th man but the league, in an effort to throw the bobcats a bone, will somehow prevail upon the voters to name okafor the roy.

jmo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kirk for 3rd team? Nah, not even close. Arenas, Allen, Nash, Kobe, Bibby, Redd, AI, Wade.....and so on and so on.....

BG should take home the 6th man joint, but not ROY. Howard should get it.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yodurk said:
Well, I couldn't think of anyone more deserving of 6th man than Ben Gordon, especially with injuries to other key 6th men...but then one of my most hated players in the league has quietly gone on a rampage off the Celtics bench:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ricky_davis/index.html

47% FG, 35% 3-pt, 81% FT, 15.7 ppg, 2.9 reb, 2.9 asst, 1.13 steals.

Even I have to admit, those are some of the best 6th man numbers I've ever seen...and with the rise of the Celtics lately, I think Ricky Davis is the leader for this award right now.
Woooh , forgot about him. And yes , those numbers are impressive. Hopefully , Bens 4th q performance , gives him some edge , in time...

And BTW - Bens numbers are much more impressive per minute , Ricky plays 32.6 minutes , while Ben has 23.8 minutes.

Bens Numbers per Ricky's minutes:
20.4 Pts , 3.6 rbds , 2.5 asts , 0.425 fg% , 0.418 3p% , 0.847 ft%

Hope Ben gets more time...

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Lebron James
Gilbert Arenas
Dwyane Wade
Ray Allen
Vince Carter
Michael Redd
Jason Richardson
Paul Pierce
Corey Maggette
Steve Francis
Stephon Marbury
Mike Bibby
Richard Hamilton
Desmond Mason
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Joe Johnson
Steve Nash
Ricky Davis

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
sloth said:
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Lebron James
Gilbert Arenas
Dwyane Wade
Ray Allen
Vince Carter
Michael Redd
Jason Richardson
Paul Pierce
Corey Maggette
Steve Francis
Stephon Marbury
Mike Bibby
Richard Hamilton
Desmond Mason
Chauncey Billups
Tony Parker
Joe Johnson
Steve Nash
Ricky Davis
Knowing Pippen, I'm thinking he counts defense every bit as much as offense...if that's the case, Hinrich can out-defend any of those guys, with the exception of maybe Kobe. I'd say Billups, Maggette, and Wade are pretty tough on D, too. I'm not saying that merits all-NBA honors necessariliy, just thinking like Pip you could say.

However, IMO, I will a little upset if Kirk is excluded from All-Defense selection. The Bulls lead the league in opposing FG%, and Kirk is our best wing defender. Not only that, he does it every night against guys who have 2-3 inches and 20-30 pounds on him. Pretty amazing what a job he does when you think about it.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Lebron James
Dwyane Wade
Corey Maggette
Chauncey Billups
Larry Hughes

all are better defenders imo. I don't see how that arguement works. Kirk is not deserving of defensive or all nba honors.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Re: Kirk Third Team

Kirk doesn't make the All Star team and has played worse in the second half. Yeah he's one of the top 6 guards in the NBA haha. Scottie Pippen is a bigger homer then any of us here. Not that a mind because its nice to have Bulls supporters in the media not named Michael Wilbon

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
sloth said:
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Lebron James
Dwyane Wade
Corey Maggette
Chauncey Billups
Larry Hughes

all are better defenders imo. I don't see how that arguement works. Kirk is not deserving of defensive or all nba honors.
uh what? Billups and Iverson (I still think he just plays the passing lanes) are on par with Hinrich. Hughes (he just goes for the steals as does the entire team), Wade? there's a better defender in Miami in Eddie Jones (I know he's playing SF now). Lebron and Tracy. :nonono: I don't know where Maggette comes from.

others : Snow and Kidd are good defenders but Hinrich is an underrated lockdown defender and he will get votes this year.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
sloth said:
Allen Iverson
Kobe Bryant
Tracy McGrady
Lebron James
Dwyane Wade
Corey Maggette
Chauncey Billups
Larry Hughes

T-mac and LeBron get criticized by TV announcers for their sub-par defense all the time...you know there's something wrong when that happens.

Hughes and Iverson are just gamblers who pick up alot of steals...they don't use defensive positioning to force opponents into difficult shots the way Kirk does.

Kirk is already becoming known as one of the top defensive guards in the entire NBA...coaches know it, opponents know it, Skiles knows it, and alot of people on this board know it. I only hope he gets the recognition when it counts, but it definitely hurts him that he's only a 2nd year player. It takes time to earn recognition in that department.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts