Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben Gordon is generally considered the top point guard prospect in the up coming draft.

Question.

What part of his game separates him from being another Jason Terry type of undersized shooting guard, other than the obvious differences in size? The Atlanta Hawks could be in a position to draft him, and I was just wondering how things would be different if they had Gordon at the point instead of Terry.

Would you say Gordon's game is similar to Baron Davis's game?

Another quesiton.

Why does Jarrett Jack seem to be rated so low when it comes to the potential point guards for the draft?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Please read the previous Ben Gordon threads. Every so often people just keep starting new threads about players when if they just went one page over they would find what they are looking for.

http://basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68479&forumid=8

The guy is nothing like Jason Terry. Jason Terry uses speed as his weapon and is no where near the shooter this guy is. The only reason why he plays the 2G is because he is a great great shooter for UConn. If he was not the big time scorer that he is for UConn he would easily be their starting PG.

He will be fine on the next level. Teams that play uptempo games are better suited for his abilities to be a great scorer and distributor on the next level but he also plays just fine in the halfcourt games. He also has a badly bruised almost broken nose that he is playing with. He has been getting beaten up the last couple of games.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Vinsanity</b>!
call me crazy but i think Raymond Felton is better
crazy

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
The guy is nothing like Jason Terry. Jason Terry uses speed as his weapon and is no where near the shooter this guy is. The only reason why he plays the 2G is because he is a great great shooter for UConn. If he was not the big time scorer that he is for UConn he would easily be their starting PG.
And because Tarik Brown can play the point well enough that UCONN doesn't have to play a weak 2 Guard with Gordon. Brown and Gordon makes more sense than Gordon and a scrub.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nimreitz</b>!

And because Tarik Brown can play the point well enough that UCONN doesn't have to play a weak 2 Guard with Gordon. Brown and Gordon makes more sense than Gordon and a scrub.
That is also true, but I am not so sure that Rashad Anderson as a two isn't better than Taliek Brown as a PG. To me personally, I haven't seen much improvement in Taliek since he was a Junior at St. John's Prep in Astoria, NY. His game has regressed IMO if you can believe that.

I know Gordon also shot only 3-14 this game but look at his numbers today.

10 points, 10 assists and 7 rebounds. Now if he makes his shots he usually hits, he would have almost a 20-10 game. This could be considered one of his bad games and yet he still fills the stat sheet up.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You think he will be a top 5 pick?

I'm a Hawks fan, and I figure Atlanta should be looking to fix their point guard situation. I like Jason Terry, but I wonder if he would be better off in a Bobby Jackson type role. I think Terry's development was hurt when Lon Kruger moved him to the 2 in his second year. Lenny Wilkens was training him to be a point guard, and he simply lost some development at the point position when he was moved. The move allowed him to find his game, but it hurt his development as a point guard.

With that said, I thought he was making strides as a point guard last year when he averaged 17 ppg and 7 apg, but he has regressed this year.

I also wonder how a guy can be such a terrific defender at the college level and become such a terrible defender at the pro level. Terry's attitude has really gone down this year as well. The losing has gotten to him, and he and the coach don't see eye to eye.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KB21</b>!

I'm a Hawks fan, and I figure Atlanta should be looking to fix their point guard situation. I like Jason Terry, but I wonder if he would be better off in a Bobby Jackson type role. I think Terry's development was hurt when Lon Kruger moved him to the 2 in his second year. Lenny Wilkens was training him to be a point guard, and he simply lost some development at the point position when he was moved. The move allowed him to find his game, but it hurt his development as a point guard.

With that said, I thought he was making strides as a point guard last year when he averaged 17 ppg and 7 apg, but he has regressed this year.

I also wonder how a guy can be such a terrific defender at the college level and become such a terrible defender at the pro level. Terry's attitude has really gone down this year as well. The losing has gotten to him, and he and the coach don't see eye to eye.
I don't know if Gordon is a top 5 pick, just because you pick size before guard play in the NBA first, however that is not to say that he won't have the talent to be a top 5 pick in this year's draft. I think the Hawks could trade down and still pick him up but not too far down, especially below any team that needs a PG.

As for Terry, if I'm the Hawks I give him his walking papers.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
What's your thoughts on Jarrett Jack?
Jack is a very good player with great size, 6'3. As he becomes more comfortable shooting jumpers (he is a decent shooter) to complement his excellent driving ability he will be fine. He is very strong and I anticipate him being at GT for at least through his junior year.

He has a very strong upside though I see him being drafted more in the latter half of the first round. He reminds me of Randy Livingston before the knee injuries.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

I'm a Hawks fan, and I figure Atlanta should be looking to fix their point guard situation.
Come on man, point guard? If we get very high, we need to get a franchise big man... I dont wanna waste the pick on some short scrawny shooter

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I think Gordon will be better than Terry when all said and done. Ben is can play point or the 2 and is a lights out shooter. I like his demeanor also; he seems to have that killer instinct.

I like Jarret Jack a lot too. Maybe not the huge scorer as the other prospects, but has a very well-rounded game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.