Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best high school player in the 2015 High School class. 6'8", 200 pound kid from Australia who plays at Montverde Academy in Florida. Currently committed to LSU, which has to be exciting for @Geaux Tigers.

Pretty talented lefty, with a pretty high skill level. Can handle the ball, finish with either hand and is a pretty solid shooter out to the college 3 point line. Athleticism is good, and he has a good wingspan. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on down the line. Here's a highlight film of Simmons:

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
Re: Ben Simmons (SG-2015)- LSU Commit

Yeah man this guy has me pretty excited for LSU Basketball. He's the recruit thats going to put Johnny Jones on the coaching map if he stays on board. Johnny Jones is showing to be a good coach and recruiter, but he hasn't landed that dynamite guy yet to turn the program around. Simmons is that.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts

@Coach Fish & I are very high on him.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts

This kid seems pretty ambidextrous. Interesting prospect.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts

Don't forget Thon Maker.

Australian basketball's future is looking good.
Now just got to convince Irving to revert to Australia.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
He looks like a stud.

·
51,469 Posts
LSU signee Ben Simmons' prep team to be featured twice on ESPN showcase

LSU signee Ben Simmons and target Malik Newman will have their some of their high school games televised as part of the GEICO ESPN High School Basketball Showcase.

Montverde (Fla.), which features the top overall recruit in Simmons, will have two games broadcasted, one on Friday, Dec. 12 at 5:30 p.m. CST on ESPN2 and the other January 19 at 2 p.m. on ESPNU.

Callaway (Miss.), which features LSU target Malik Newman, plays on ESPNU Feb. 14 at 10 p.m.

Findlay Prep, which is home to former New Orleans prep star Khalea Turner, will be featured on January 2 at 3:30 p.m. on ESPNU
Quietly, LSU-bound Ben Simmons is setting the stage to be dominant at the college level

Australian Ben Simmons takes unconvential path to top of '15 class

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
http://montverde.tv/

No. 20 in black for those who want a peak. Already doing a little bit of everything.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
The hype train needs to leave the station.

I can't wait to see him at the next level next year.
@Geaux Tigers, you should be very, very excited for what awaits.

·
51,469 Posts
Kevin Boyle Compares Ben Simmons to LeBron James

Montverde Academy coach Kevin Boyle has coached Kyrie Irving, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Al Harrington and many other elite players.

And Boyle says that his current star, 6-foot-10, LSU-bound forward Ben Simmons — the projected No. 2 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft by DraftExpress.com — is special.

“Ben is an incredibly gifted athlete,” Boyle told SNY.tv. “His jump shot is getting better, he’s an excellent passer. Hopefully, he can have as much of an impact in high school this year as LeBron did as a senior. Not saying he’s as good as LeBron, but I’m hoping he has as much of an impact. As a physical force with skill, he is probably the closest to him, than anyone since LeBron has played.”

After a 71-point weekend and wins over Berkmar (Ga.) and defending state-champion Jonesboro (Ga.), Simmons has made a strong case as the No. 1 player in the nation.

In his final year in high school, the Australian native leads the No. 1-ranked team in the nation on a brutal schedule that includes Bishop O’Dowd (CA), Plano West (TX), Bishop Gorman (NV), Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, St. Benedict’s (N.J.), Whitney Young (IL), Paul VI (VA) and many others.

“So far it’s good,” Simmons told SNY.tv after his 37-point performance in a win over Jonesboro. “Adjusting to a new team, I’m playing a bit more point forward, so I have to be more of a leader on the court which is what I’m trying to do. But so far, these two games have been good.”
Boyle acknowledges that while Simmons is a physical specimen with talent that excedes 99 percent of the players he will play during the season, he still has things to work on.

“I think he has terrific upside,” Boyle said. “He has to continue to improve his jump shot, which he has been doing, because he’s not going to get everything around the basket in college or in the pros. If that keeps developing, that will help him to become a star level player in the NBA.”

When asked about the improvement of his jump shot, Simmons says that it has gotten better, but the first couple games haven’t lent themselves to taking many jump shots.

“Yeah, I have been, but you haven’t seen it much,” Simmons said. “I’m just taking what they give me. But when they stop giving me that, I’ll be taking some more jump shots.”

During the summer for Each 1 Teach 1 Elite on the EYBL Circuit, Simmons brought the ball up the floor, distributing to guards Antonio Blakeney, Barry Brown and Keyshawn Evans. Simmons says that his ability to bring the ball up the floor can pay big dividends at LSU.

“Definitely can be effective,” Simmons said. “Once you get into college and you’re playing in the SEC, a lot of guys my size aren’t able to guard someone who’s quicker and can dribble. It changes the defense a lot.”

Simmons is also recruiting on LSU’s behalf, trying to get Blakeney and IMG Academy guard JaQuan Lyle to come to LSU after their recent visit.

“They’re great players, they’d be a good fit,” he recently said on ESPNU. “But they’re going to have their own decisions and personal preferences for schools, but I think it would be a good look for LSU.”
LSU-Bound Ben Simmons Says He Could be One-and-Done

Ben Simmons, the No. 1 player in the country on the ESPN 100, signed his Letter of Intent with LSU on Wednesday but he may only be on campus for a year.

The 6-foot-10 Australian is projected as the No. 2 pick in the 2016 NBA Draft by DraftExpress.com. Jaylen Brown, who has yet to pick a college, is listed as No. 1.

“It really depends,” he told ESPNU Thursday night. “It just depends on how the season goes. If I’m ready to go to the next level then definitely I’ll look at my options. But I’m focusing on this season right now. We have my last high school season [at Montverde Academy] so I really just want to do as well as I can for the team and my coaches here.”

Simmons, who committed to LSU almost two years ago, dominated at the Peach Jam in July and called himself a “6-10 point forward who can pass the ball, bring it up, run plays and get to the rim.”
Meantime, he’s working on recruiting JaQuan Lyle and Antonio Blakeney to LSU. All three took an official there last weekend.

“They’re great players, they’d be a good fit,” he said. “But they’re going to have their own decisions and personal preferences for schools, but I think it would be a good look for LSU.”

Lyle told SNY.tv this week that Simmons was working hard to land him and Blakeney.

LSU assistant David Patrick is Simmons’ Godfather and is also recruiting Lyle and Blakeney.

“Without him I would still be looking at schools,” Simmons told ESPNU. “…Dave Patrick I’ve known him my whole life. He’s family so that played a big part.”

Simmons was one of four Montverde players to sign NLIs this week, including Noah Dickerson (Florida), Jean Marc Christ Koumadje (Florida State) and Marquez Letcher-Ellis (Rice).

“It was just a great excitement and a relief for me, a weight off my chest finally being a part of that school,” Simmons said.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
Lol @ "could."

1 - 20 of 121 Posts