Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is why. The Detroit Pistons were the worst rebundiong team in the league last year. Look at their lineup last year. Chucky Atkins, Jerry Stackhouse, Michael Curry, Ben Wallace, and Cliff Robinson. Now obviously the only man here that doesn't rebound like a pansy is Ben wallace. And they all knew they couldn't rebound. They didn't even try. Cliff and Curry just got the hell out of the way and Stack and Atkins stayed on the perimeter and if they were lucky Ben would bat the ball out to them.

My point here is if Ben was on a team that had anybody else that could rebound better than a little Catholic school girl, he would not get as many rebounds. I watched the Pistons on many occasions last year. I saw what was going on with the rebounding. Ben has a great vertical and could just leap up and grab it out of the air and bat it back out to Chucky Atkins or Jerry Stackhouse. But they relied soley on Ben for their rebounding. If he had another guy that could grab ten boards he would not get as many rebounds.

He is still a great player, but people overrate him greatly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
True, Big Ben led the league in rebounds last year primarily because he was the only good rebounder on his team. However, that doesn't mean he isn't one of the best rebounders in the league. If you watch him play it is obvious that he is a great rebounder. I don't care how bad your team is at rebounding, it takes an elite rebounder to get over 13 boards a game these days, and Ben has been doing that for the past two seasons.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
What about Dennis Rodman? MJ, Pip, and Ron Harper weren't exactly all over the glass in Chicago. I don't think there's any way to say that somebody that gets that many rebounds is overrated. People look at him as a top five rebounder in the league. Take away a couple a game that he gets. He's still in that category.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
If anything Ben Wallace is under-rated as a rebounder.

What about all those offensive rebounds he taps out to his teammates? They don't count as his rebounds. And anyway, you could use your argument for any good rebounder. Who other than Duncan would rebound on the Spurs? Old washed up, injured David Robinson? What about on the Suns outside of Marion? Googs? Big Jake? Sure.

If anything he's getting less rebounds than he would with another force down low because there's no one to take a little pressure off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ben Wallace went out on the floor and played with aggression and competitiveness every night. To take away credibility from him by saying he has a poor rebounding team is horrible. I know that maybe he didn't have the best rebounding players around him, but he is a true hustle player and got rewarded for it by leading the league in rebounds and being named the defensive player of the year.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Well, even if no one else on the Pistons can rebound, he still had to fight for his rebounds with the rebounders on the other teams. I actually think that Ben Wallace is a little underrated. He won DPOY, earning over 95% of the vote. Also, he led the league in rebounds AND blocked shots. The only other players to lead the league in both categories in the same year were Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, Bill Walton, and Hakeem Olajuwon.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
it certainly is more impressive to be a great rebounder on a great rebouding team than a great rebounder on a poor rebounding team. he's obviously an excellent rebounder, but his numbers may be a bit inflated. good point, malakian.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Rodman was with the Bulls for 3 years. During those three years he averaged 15.3rpg. Here are the averages of his starting teamates during those years...

Luc Longley: 5.5rpg
Scottie Pippen: 6.0rpg
Michael Jordan: 6.1rpg
Ron Harper: 2.9rpg

That's an average of 20.5 of Jordan, Pippen, Harper and Longley and 35.8rpg averaged by the Bulls starting lineup.

That's alot better than the averages of Ben Wallace's teamates yet Rodman managed to grab more rebounds.

Pistons:
Ben Wallace: 13rpg
Clifford Robinson: 4.8rpg
Michael Curry: 2rpg
Jerry Stackhouse: 4.1rpg
Chucky Atkins: 2rpg
Totals: 25.9

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
rodman's teams were always among the best rebounding teams in the league, including the bulls, who were a great rebounding team.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by kflo
it certainly is more impressive to be a great rebounder on a great rebouding team than a great rebounder on a poor rebounding team. he's obviously an excellent rebounder, but his numbers may be a bit inflated. good point, malakian.
kflo, in my opinion, you couldn't be further from the truth. Having a team of poor rebounders around you is NOT going to help your rebounding numbers. It is NOT easier to be a great rebounder on a poor rebounding team. If Ben had someone in the post with him that provided decent rebounding skills he'd be up around 15-16 boards per game. Just the simple fact that the other rebounder is taking up a body. For Ben to be the sole rebounder of a team, and put up the numbers he did (where he was the only one the opposing team really needed to worry about on the offensive and defensive glass) plus his 6'8" size puts him as the top rebounder in the league.

Do you think Duncan is a better rebounder? He had Robinson, Rose, and other solid rebounders contributing. This takes pressure off of him and allows him to get more boards.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How does it take pressure off of you? Everyone else gets the hell out of the way and hopes you get the rebound. He is a great player. He has no offensive game, but he has a 40" vertical and is a great rebounder.

·
Registered
162 Posts
it takes pressure off because if you are the only one trying to rebound you have to battle 2 or 3 people for the board instead of just 1 cause the other person is preoccupied with your teammate

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But like I said, they were the best rebounding team a year ago and he didn't pull down 15 or 16 boards. He pulled down .2 more but he didn't lead the league and his team was in the lottery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
have you SEEN ben wallace play, MAN?!?!?! he's a freakin' animal under the boards..i'm sure if he played ANYwhere else..he'd STILL be leading the league in rebounding..just because of his intensity and aggressiveness alone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts