Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
DetroitNews said:
Sometimes you snap. Even the great ones snap.

An 82-game schedule is as much a mental grind as it is a physical one. Over a three-week span, you've had to knock heads and elbows and knees twice with Shaquille O'Neal. You are playing against the biggest, strongest and fastest of your profession -- Miami, Indiana, New Jersey, Dallas, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Phoenix -- one after the next.

You get weary. Your body aches and your nerves get frayed. Things that used to roll right off you are starting to get under your skin.

You are, after all, human. You snap.
Please don't post the entire contents of an article. Post a link after quoting a small portion.

Tonights statline. 4pts 22 rebounds. 3steals 2 blocks in 34minute for a blowout against the pacers. Im always impressed when someone has a big rebounding night but this was soooooo predictable. as impressive as it is i feel let down because once again an nba player is showing what they are capable of when they are intrinsically motivated, rather than just the 5-10mil a year most of them get as motivation.

as much as i am a fan of ben it disappoints me to see him play well for those motives. does anyone else agree???

Reactions: Carbo04

·
Restore the Roar
7,385 Posts
The man got mad, had a minor spat with the coach. Maybe its the inner-Pistons-fan in me being reasonable, maybe if it were somebody else I would be a little more peaved... but its an 82 game season. Everybody is human.

Thats why I never really hated Artest until his trade comments this season. Why I never hated Spree until he mailed in last season. Everybody blows up, everybody has a temper. Athletes are just under a magnifying glass.

-Chris.

Reactions: Carbo04

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
You get weary. Your body aches and your nerves get frayed. Things that used to roll right off you are starting to get under your skin.

You are, after all, human. You snap.

On Friday night, Ben Wallace snapped. With 7:57 left in the fourth quarter of a 89-87 loss in Orlando, and the Pistons trailing by eight points, coach Flip Saunders took Wallace out of the game. Wallace was clearly peeved. Never mind that he had played all 15 minutes of the second half to that point, he stormed to the end of the bench uttering a torrent of unprintables directed at Saunders.

Saunders explained the move to Wallace, who waved him off.

A couple of minutes later, Saunders wanted to put him back into the game. Wallace didn't move. He wouldn't even look at Saunders. With the Pistons back in contention and threatening to steal a victory, Saunders again summoned Wallace.
I have no problem with what Ben Wallace did; however, I do have a problem with how people are giving him an excuse, yet when Pippen and Carmelo Athony did the same thing they were (and still are when people are trying to find a way to bring them down) accused of being punks, spoiled athletes, selfish, quitters, etc... So I guess you could say I have a problem with the inconsistency with the rationale of how poeple judge situations like this.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
if anything this makes me admire ben wallace more and more. he knows his team has been dogging it the first 3 quarters only to turn it on in the 4th. he knows his team is lacking the defensive intensity they had in the previous years. he sees a playoff upset unless he can do something about it.

Reactions: Carbo04 and SlamJam

·
Premium Member
21,860 Posts
PauloCatarino said:
4 freaking points???????????????????????
22 rebounds??????????????

He knows what he's good at.

Reactions: Carbo04 and SlamJam

·
Premium Member
21,860 Posts
sloth said:
Funny thing, all the clips I've seen on this site posted about this just said Wallace, so I've been thinking this was Rasheed Wallace all this time up until reading this thread.
I could understand that. Believeable mix up.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
There is no point analyzing this. The writer of the quoted article annoys me by trying to act like an authority on a subject which he shouldn't attempt to explain.

So far it has been a very good thing. It had the Pistons play a whole game with a style of cohesive, agressive confidence not seen in years. If it keeps up I pity Piston opponents.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
ralaw said:
I have no problem with what Ben Wallace did; however, I do have a problem with how people are giving him an excuse, yet when Pippen and Carmelo Athony did the same thing they were (and still are when people are trying to find a way to bring them down) accused of being punks, spoiled athletes, selfish, quitters, etc... So I guess you could say I have a problem with the inconsistency with the rationale of how poeple judge situations like this.
Exactly, a great example of double standards. Ben Wallace is definitely a work horse, but I've seen other players do the same thing over the years and get eaten alive by analysts and supporters for their actions. Why is Wallace an exception?

·
Fundamental Dream
3,533 Posts
Lachlanwood32 said:
Exactly, a great example of double standards. Ben Wallace is definitely a work horse, but I've seen other players do the same thing over the years and get eaten alive by analysts and supporters for their actions. Why is Wallace an exception?
good question..thats a question you would wanna ask Stephen A. Smith, LoL.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Isnt Ben Wallace a free agent this summer?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lebrons got more a chance of actually being a free agent when the 4th year team option ends.

ben hired someone to figure out what he is worth for what he brings to the team and then took that to the pistons. it was significantly under market value. he could easily earn 10-12mil next season but wanted to stick with detroit who do like to stay below luxury tax threshold.

i think like 8mil a year. he's no bum but its certainly a few mill less than he'd get offered

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
ralaw said:
you sir, are correct. which is why fans are hilarious in their judgment of players, because it obviously only applies when they want it to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.