Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tayshaun Prince probably summed it up best.

When asked about the recent struggles of the Pistons' reserves, he said, "We don't expect the starters to score 98 points a game every night, but we don't expect our bench to continue to struggle, either."

Right now, it is an understatement to call what's happening off the Pistons' bench a struggle. In the last four games, the reserves have been outscored 116-34, including a 47-12 pasting in Boston and a 28-4 whipping against Seattle on Wednesday.

"We just have to give them some minutes," assistant coach Gar Heard said after practice Thursday. "We have to put them out on the floor and let them play. I've been playing the starters too many minutes. Hopefully our bench guys will be able to step it up."
Specifically, Arroyo needs to find a comfort zone with the Pistons. He is the leader of the bench unit but has scored a total of 14 points in the last six games, hitting 6 of 23 shots. He has had more turnovers (nine) than baskets (six).

"He's having a tough time right now," Heard said. "We have to keep playing him, keep him on the floor and let him get his confidence back. All he needs is one good game to get his confidence back."

Arroyo is clearly frustrated, but he has continued to work hard and maintain a positive approach.

"I am struggling a bit, but that is part of basketball," he said. "I have struggled before. The main thing is to stay motivated and understand that these things are going to happen.

"You know, I am not getting 30 minutes a game to better what I've done. But the little time I am out there, I have to show that I can keep us in the game, control the tempo and give Chauncey (Billups) some rest so he can come back and finish it off."

Arroyo is still trying to get used to the Pistons' system, which differs greatly from the one to which he was accustomed in Utah.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/18/H03-121369.htm

It seems like has our bench has come full circle since the beginning of the season, and that's not a good thing considering they were playing horrendous in the beginning of the year. But, I'm not too worried this time around. In the beginning of the season we didn't have the weapons off the bench that we do now, but we have just gotten to a point where it seems like all of our bench players have gotten into a slump at the same time. I'm confident they'll get it together soon.

I think the key to geting them to play better is to get them more PT. Arroyo needs more PT specifically and tonight you have an excuse for doing so with Chauncey's back aching him a little. McDyess will be fine, his shot is just a bit off. Dupree is still playing well. We need to get Delfino and Hunter (maybe 7 minutes a game for Hunter) into game shape and used to the flow of the game.

The bench is an obvious concern for Heard and the Pistons and he has even admitted that they need more PT, we'll see if he will act on his words.

Thoughts?

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
From Today's Free Press:

Then there is Carlos Delfino, a versatile swingman activated Sunday after recovering from two knee surgeries. He has yet to play. Asked before Wednesday's game against Seattle if he would play that night, Delfino shrugged and replied, "Ask Coach."

Delfino's opportunity to wet his feet might come against the Raptors.

"We've had two games that I've been coaching that it's been kind of hard to get him in because I don't want to put him in a situation where there's a lot of pressure on him; I want him to come in and blend right in," said assistant Gar Heard, who's coaching while Larry Brown recovers from surgery. "I'm going to try to work both him and Ronald in."

-------------------------------------------

BROWN UPDATE: Heard is keeping in daily touch with Brown while he recuperates. "Hopefully he'll be back this weekend," Heard said. "They said he'd be gone probably until Sunday or Tuesday of next week. I think he has to go to the doctor Friday for a checkup."

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
The bench has determined our streaks this season....when they play well we win 7,8,9 games in a row....when they play bad like they have lately, we dont play that well....This is why I am not that worried about the Pistons....the bench gets shortened up in the playoffs...

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concern is how much will they have left come playoffs time. They've (the starters) been going hard at it basically the whole season.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
CJ said:
From Today's Free Press:

Then there is Carlos Delfino, a versatile swingman activated Sunday after recovering from two knee surgeries. He has yet to play. Asked before Wednesday's game against Seattle if he would play that night, Delfino shrugged and replied, "Ask Coach."

Delfino's opportunity to wet his feet might come against the Raptors.

"We've had two games that I've been coaching that it's been kind of hard to get him in because I don't want to put him in a situation where there's a lot of pressure on him; I want him to come in and blend right in," said assistant Gar Heard, who's coaching while Larry Brown recovers from surgery. "I'm going to try to work both him and Ronald in."

-------------------------------------------

BROWN UPDATE: Heard is keeping in daily touch with Brown while he recuperates. "Hopefully he'll be back this weekend," Heard said. "They said he'd be gone probably until Sunday or Tuesday of next week. I think he has to go to the doctor Friday for a checkup."

they're almost comical there with letting guys off the bench. now heard, who is no more than a puppet for brown, is trying to find the perfect oppurtunity to get delfino in the game. darko obviously is not even an afterthought with heard, again he must have got his marching orders from brown, what a ballsy guy. lets stop saying the bench cant produce when guys cant get off it.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Of course he has his marching orders from Brown, where the hell else do you think he would get them from? Brown is still the coach of the team, and the last thing we need is Gar Heard thinking.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I do believe Gar is only a puppet on the sidelines and I keep looking to see if I can see him talkin to his sleeve( kinda like the secret service) I do think however that the more games LB misses, we will start to see Gar take some more chances to show his own coaching skills. He is using these games to audition for future jobs too.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Mike luvs KG said:
Of course he has his marching orders from Brown, where the hell else do you think he would get them from? Brown is still the coach of the team, and the last thing we need is Gar Heard thinking.
now thats funny.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've slowed down my dislike of Carlos Delfino train. He's played pretty good the last two games for a guy who has missed 50 games. It's good to see him out there and, if he can continue to contribute and improve, adding him with Arroyo, McDyess, and company just makes our bench that much better and it only helps out with reducing tyhe starters minutes.

I will say the only reason I disliked him is because he seemed like a rebel who went against team wishes and in the end hurt himself and the Pistons more.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am starting to enjoy and look forward to the Dos Los and Dyess line up. They just seem like they energize the team and are instant sugar rush out there. They seem to have a chemistry already. I know its early to say such a thing, but if they looked lost out there? we wouldnt wait before declaring it. Now if we can get EC or D some minutes worked in with the second unit as a 4th? to get them acclimated with the others? I think that would go a long way to solidifying our bench for the playoff run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts