Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been so satisfying to watch Zoran get the chance to go out there and do his thing. The Nets love to run pick and rolls, and Zoran is the best pick and roll player on the team, IMO. If the Nets let him go at some point, the Suns should jump all over him. He'd be perfect in their system. He could very adequately fill in for Nash, IMO, and also play next to him. And w/ Zoran now in the rotation and capable of running the offense (in addition to the new sets w/ Vince playing PG) I just don't know how many more offensive possessions I can watch Jacque Vaughn ruin w/ his refusal to take the shots presented to him in the offense. He does it all the time... passing up open looks on possessions where the Nets end up taking a much worse shot. Drives me a little batty, quite frankly. Bench the sucker. You know he'll stay ready on the bench for when you need him. Play Wright. He's good on the break, plays pretty solid D IMO (esp. mano a mano), and the long term benefits of him gaining experience on the court far outweigh his current lack of experience, IMO.

·
Nets Fan
10,424 Posts
SeaNet said:
It has been so satisfying to watch Zoran get the chance to go out there and do his thing. The Nets love to run pick and rolls, and Zoran is the best pick and roll player on the team, IMO. If the Nets let him go at some point, the Suns should jump all over him. He'd be perfect in their system. He could very adequately fill in for Nash, IMO, and also play next to him. And w/ Zoran now in the rotation and capable of running the offense (in addition to the new sets w/ Vince playing PG) I just don't know how many more offensive possessions I can watch Jacque Vaughn ruin w/ his refusal to take the shots presented to him in the offense. He does it all the time... passing up open looks on possessions where the Nets end up taking a much worse shot. Drives me a little batty, quite frankly. Bench the sucker. You know he'll stay ready on the bench for when you need him. Play Wright. He's good on the break, plays pretty solid D IMO (esp. mano a mano), and the long term benefits of him gaining experience on the court far outweigh his current lack of experience, IMO.
He always passes up an open shot for the jump step he does which either misses or gets called on a travel.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I agree, vaughn has been kind of useless, although he did actually take the open shots in the wizards game. He's a terrible backup PG it seems like he has no vision. I think Wright is better for the team, in general because I don't feel vaughn's defense is better than Wright's and Wright just has more offensive skills and physical ability in general. L Frank should try to develop Wright. The kid needs confidence, I don't question his natural ability, I question his mental toughness, it will only get better with experience.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
I dont think Vaughn is useless. I think he is a very good defender. But I think Zoran is getting more confidence as this stretch has gone on and last night, Frank showed indications he is willing to give him more responsibility. When he and Kidd were in the game late, Kidd played off-guard with Zoran handling the point. That told me a lot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Last night Vaughn was 2-for-3. There were many open shots (at least 3 or 4) that he passed up, where they just dared him to shoot. His two baskets came on: 1) an ugly looking jumper/ set shot with the shot clock winding down that went in; and 2) a surprise (to me) jumper he took from the other side of the floor in rhythm and looked good. I was like, who was that?

I agree with limiting Vaughn severely, but my question is, who plays the 1 on defense? I really think it can't be Zoran. I may be dense, but are you saying we should have Wright guard the opponents' point? Might be worth trying. . .

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Lurk182 said:
I agree with limiting Vaughn severely, but my question is, who plays the 1 on defense? I really think it can't be Zoran. I may be dense, but are you saying we should have Wright guard the opponents' point? Might be worth trying. . .
He has done that in the past. Guarded Mike James on some posessions vs the Raptors. I don't think Vaughn is quicker laterally than Wright.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There have been times where I have doubted Zoran. He is definetly proving me wrong now. With Vaughn, I don't think he is going to surprise anyone. He's not going to explode tomorrow night for 20 points. With Vince, J-Kidd and Zoran handling the ball, it makes sense to bring in Wright, who is a much more capable outside shooter, as well as all the things SeaNet already mentioned.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
NetIncome said:
I dont think Vaughn is useless. I think he is a very good defender. But I think Zoran is getting more confidence as this stretch has gone on and last night, Frank showed indications he is willing to give him more responsibility. When he and Kidd were in the game late, Kidd played off-guard with Zoran handling the point. That told me a lot.

Definitely, He's trusting Zoran as the PG even with JKidd out there, that's just gonna give Z confidence. I think its great that L. Frank is growing as a coach as well as the way the younger players are growing as players. It just makes me feel better about the playoffs and especially next year since Frank is encouraging and developing Wright and Zoran. I see good things for the nets in the immedate future. I will be the first to admit that I ripped Frank and Z earlier on this board and am glad that so far I was wrong, they're both young guys that just had to get better at what they do.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lurk182 said:
Last night Vaughn was 2-for-3. There were many open shots (at least 3 or 4) that he passed up, where they just dared him to shoot. His two baskets came on: 1) an ugly looking jumper/ set shot with the shot clock winding down that went in; and 2) a surprise (to me) jumper he took from the other side of the floor in rhythm and looked good. I was like, who was that?

I believe Wright can guard opposing points. On switches and occasional matchups w/ them recently, he's moved his feet very well, IMO. Looked surprisingly like KK to me, I think it was in the Sacto game, or maybe against Orlando and Arroyo. Some PG throwing a whole bunch of moves at him in a blue uni, anyway.

·
Registered
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
farouq710 said:
Definitely, He's trusting Zoran as the PG even with JKidd out there, that's just gonna give Z confidence. I think its great that L. Frank is growing as a coach as well as the way the younger players are growing as players. It just makes me feel better about the playoffs and especially next year since Frank is encouraging and developing Wright and Zoran. I see good things for the nets in the immedate future.
He seems to be bringing in various point guards into the game (Zoran, Vaughn, Kidd) and having them play off the ball for a couple of possessions to get in the rhythm of the game again, then switching off. I like it. Seems like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
SeaNet said:
I believe Wright can guard opposing points. On switches and occasional matchups w/ them recently, he's moved his feet very well, IMO. Looked surprisingly like KK to me, I think it was in the Sacto game, or maybe against Orlando and Arroyo. Some PG throwing a whole bunch of moves at him in a blue uni, anyway.
I've liked Wright's defense but last night he was in the game about 3 possessions and got totally burned twice. Just a coincidence I am sure.

·
Registered
98 Posts
SeaNet said:
He seems to be bringing in various point guards into the game (Zoran, Vaughn, Kidd) and having them play off the ball for a couple of possessions to get in the rhythm of the game again, then switching off. I like it. Seems like a good idea to me.
My take last night was, he brought in Kidd in the 4th and had him play off the ball, with ZP running the point, until WAS called a timeout. When they came out of the TO (after likely talking about how to scheme ZP), we were running a different set, with JKidd on the ball and ZP off.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
rundmc00 said:
I've liked Wright's defense but last night he was in the game about 3 possessions and got totally burned twice. Just a coincidence I am sure.
That can't be true. Wright was in the game only for 12 seconds (at the end of the third), and he commited one foul (they had one to give).

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Aurelino said:
That can't be true. Wright was in the game only for 12 seconds (at the end of the third), and he commited one foul (they had one to give).
He got blown by twice last night in a very Zoranesque manner.

The first one he was just able to foul the guy as he passed him and on the reset he got blown by again.

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
rundmc00 said:
He got blown by twice last night in a very Zoranesque manner.

The first one he was just able to foul the guy as he passed him and on the reset he got blown by again.
They didn't get a shot off, though, did they?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SeaNet said:
It was Orlando and Arroyo. Wright stuck to him like glue.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
SeaNet said:
I concur with SeaNet. I'd much rather see Zoran and then Wright off the bench then too much of Vaughn. Wright does a good job on D and doesn't hurt the team there. In fact, he helps them defensively. Vaughn is streaky and unpredictable. The more he's out there ... the more the team tanks. In spot duty and selected situations Vaughn is okay, but Zoran should be handling most of Vaughn's duties by now and Wright come in for D. That's the way I see it!

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
Nope. Vaughn must play, though not too much. Zoran can't be relied on to be the primary ball handler, especially with Wright, ho has no handle whatsoever, as the other guard. The rotation is fine with Zoran and Vaughn. Maybe next year for Antoine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.