Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Feel the Rush!
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the link, scroll down a bit for this section of the article.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051114/SPORTS04/511140434/1088

Pacers forward Jonathan Bender was supposed to play against the Bucks.
Bender, who hadn't played since the Nov. 5 game against Philadelphia, went out to warm up but his left knee was bothering him too much to play.
"It's unfortunate because I felt like he was a guy that could have been effective for us," Carlisle said. "It's a tough situation for our team, even tougher for him."
Saturday was another case in the saga surrounding Bender's knee, which has hampered his career. Bender's absence affects how Carlisle plans on a game-to-game basis.
"In the process of trying to find a consistent rotation, not having him available all the time makes it hard to pencil him as a regular," Carlisle said. "I've tried to have him available as an option when he's available to play. For everything he's been through, he's been as upbeat as possible. No one deserves to go through what he's been through with his injury situation."

I figured I'd be a big man and post this since I am a "Bender Homer." This is making it hard to stay optimistic about Bender, but I will do my best since I've put everything I own on Bender making it big.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
StephenJackson said:
Yes, well I just wish we could get more info about what is going on with him.
One of the below is correct:

Bender is hurt and the Pacers don't want anyone to know.

Bender sucks and shouldn't play at all.

The Pacers are looking to trade Bender and his stock will decrease if he gets hurt again.

The Pacers are looking to trade Bender and his stock will decrease if any team sees him play.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Pacers Fan said:

The Pacers are looking to trade Bender and his stock will decrease if he gets hurt again.

The Pacers are looking to trade Bender and his stock will decrease if any team sees him play.
:no: You are loving this aren't you?

I keep on supporting...

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
jermaine7fan said:
:no: You are loving this aren't you?

I keep on supporting...
Not to stir an argument, but just for my own curiosity: How old will Bender have to be before you give up on him?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Pacers Fan said:

i bet 500 uCash on the second one :p

·
Registered
993 Posts
Pacers Fan said:
Not to stir an argument, but just for my own curiosity: How old will Bender have to be before you give up on him?
He will have to be as old as dirt. He is a Pacer... and a career long Pacer, at that. Right now, I can see it as a possibility that this guy will never produce for us for more than 7 games of a season... it is very sad... but I do still continue to support him, and hope for the very best for him. I will still be a Bender fan if he has to retire at the end of this season, it is just sad to see so much potential not being used. Especially because he wants to use it. I just know that if I were in his shoes, I would be one depressed rich person right now. If I had that kind of talent, and was never able use it, or build it up more... I would HATE it. If this guy weren't playing for us because of a bad attitude or something like that, I would be calling for a trade in a heartbeat... but it is hard for me not to root for the guy who is stuck in a hole... I want to see him climb out! But if he never does... I won't blame him... I will feel sorry for him. :cry: I want that Pacer to shine! It is just sad that it continues to look more and more like he will never get a chance to... and it makes me feel sorry for him. I don't care if he is rich or poor... I want him to excell... as I do most people who try as hard for something as Bender has.

·
Feel the Rush!
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jermaine7fan said:
He will have to be as old as dirt. He is a Pacer... and a career long Pacer, at that. Right now, I can see it as a possibility that this guy will never produce for us for more than 7 games of a season... it is very sad... but I do still continue to support him, and hope for the very best for him. I will still be a Bender fan if he has to retire at the end of this season, it is just sad to see so much potential not being used. Especially because he wants to use it. I just know that if I were in his shoes, I would be one depressed rich person right now. If I had that kind of talent, and was never able use it, or build it up more... I would HATE it. If this guy weren't playing for us because of a bad attitude or something like that, I would be calling for a trade in a heartbeat... but it is hard for me not to root for the guy who is stuck in a hole... I want to see him climb out! But if he never does... I won't blame him... I will feel sorry for him. :cry: I want that Pacer to shine! It is just sad that it continues to look more and more like he will never get a chance to... and it makes me feel sorry for him. I don't care if he is rich or poor... I want him to excell... as I do most people who try as hard for something as Bender has.

That post right there my friend is why you are my homeboy. I never thought I'd see the day when someone saw eye to eye with me on the Bender issue.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I don't have anything to back this up, but my suspicion is that the Pacers organization has given up on Bender. Giving him some minutes in the Orlando and Philadelphia games, was their last attempt to make him a contributing member of the team. When he was unable / unwilling to play in the following games against Miami and Milwaukee, that was the last straw. I doubt we'll see much of Bender anymore.

·
Registered
993 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
I don't have anything to back this up, but my suspicion is that the Pacers organization has given up on Bender. Giving him some minutes in the Orlando and Philadelphia games, was their last attempt to make him a contributing member of the team. When he was unable / unwilling to play in the following games against Miami and Milwaukee, that was the last straw. I doubt we'll see much of Bender anymore.
You could be right :cry: I'll keep hoping for the best...

·
Registered
993 Posts
StephenJackson said:
That post right there my friend is why you are my homeboy. I never thought I'd see the day when someone saw eye to eye with me on the Bender issue.
I just have a feeling that we would be good friends if we lived close to each other... it is odd at times how much we agree on things... Maybe I'll have to take you to a Pacer game with me this year... you do live in Indiana right? My family has 16th row season tickets... if you live in Indiana... we will do this some time.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
jermaine7fan said:
it is just sad to see so much potential not being used. Especially because he wants to use it.
Let's keep race out of this.

I want him to excell... as I do most people who try as hard for something as Bender has.
Him being drafted 5th overall and being injured for the past two seasons means that he definitely tries hard and is deserving of sympathy?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
What does Bender's skin color have to do with anything? :whofarted

People think (or thought) he had potential because he dominated the McDonald's game, is seven feet tall, can jump really high, and has a pretty sweet jump shot out to three-point range. It was quite logical to think he had potential, coming out of high school. Not so much anymore.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
jermaine7fan said:
I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
What does Bender's skin color have to do with anything? :whofarted
*Edited because a lot of people would consider it offensive.*

People think (or thought) he had potential because he dominated the McDonald's game, is seven feet tall, can jump really high, and has a pretty sweet jump shot out to three-point range.
Dominating high schoolers doesn't mean much. How he plays against professions does. Being tall and athletic just means that he's tall and athletic. It doesn't mean he has any more potential than anyone else. I don't consider his jumpshot "sweet" at all. He's decent, but I'd rather have AJ, Tinsley, Saras, Gill, Jones, Jackson, Croshere, and probably Artest shoot a 3 than him.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts