Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone constantly argues about who has the best team in the league at this early stage of the preseason. Why not argue about who has the best last guy? Of all the teams that actually have 12 guys signed, who has the best 12th man?

Hawks - Chris Crawford (6-9, 235)
Bulls - Roger Mason Jr (6-5, 199)
Cavs - Harold Jamison (6-9, 225)
Nuggets - Mengke Bateer (6-11, 290)
Pistons - Ratko Varda (7-1, 265)
Warriors - Steve Logan (6-0, 195)
Rockets - Terence Morris (6-9, 221)
Pacers - Primoz Brezec (7-1, 243)
Clippers - Sean Rooks (6-10, 260)
Lakers - Mark Madsen (6-9, 236)
Grizzlies - Chris Owens (6-7, 245)
Bucks - Jason Caffey (6-8, 256 )
Nets - Brian Scalabrine (6-9, 240)
Hornets - Bryce Drew (6-3, 184)
Knicks - Lavor Postell (6-5, 215)
Magic - Steven Hunter (6-10, 224)
76ers - John Salmons (6-7, 210)
Suns - Milt Palacio (6-3, 195)
Blazers - Jason Jennings (7-0, 250)
Kings - Corsley Edwards (6-9, 275)
Spurs - Stephen Jackson (6-8, 218)
Raptors - Michael Bradley (6-9, 227)
Wizards - Kwame Brown (6-11, 243)

Keep in mind, these are the 12th man on each team signed to an active contract right now!!! Teams like the Jazz and Celtics have less than 12 men signed right now and are off the list for that reason.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I would say Milt Palacio and Jason Caffey have shown that they can be vital parts of a team more than any of the rest, as far as NBA experience.

I would say that among the youngsters who mightl be much much more than 12th men are Roger Mason Jr., Steve Logan, Terence Morris, and Kwame Brown.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I'll go with Sean Rooks.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
First of all...Milt Palacio is the back-up PG in Phoenix, he is certainly not a 12th man.

Kwame Brown definitely isn't a 12th man, he was the first pick last year.

Chris Crawford had a great year a couple years ago, so he definitely isn't a 12th man. The 12th man is arguably, if not definitely the worst player on the team.

You can't call a Rookie a 12th man, because they haven't even played in a game yet, so you don't know how much they will play.

There are much worse players on the Bulls than Roger Mason Jr. Roger Mason Jr. had the skills to be the 20th pick in the draft, he was one of the top scorers in the ACC, he certainly won't be the last guy on any NBA team.

The Raptors last guy isn't Michael Bradley, the Magic's last guy isn't Steven Hunter, he even started for them in a few games. Stephen Jackson isn't the Spurs last guy...if you re-call in his Rookie season 2 years ago with the Nets he averaged double figures in scoring. He made a dumb decision to sign with the Spurs, but he is still not a 12th man.

The Bucks have worse players than Jason Caffey, in fact...he is arguably better than their starting center Joel Pryzbilla.

Harold Jamison will most likely get some good PT with the Cavs, considering they have some very bad players on their team. Jamison played in a few games for the Clippers, and I really think that if he gets enough PT, he could average close to a double-double.

Jason Jennings is absolutely awful, and will most likely not even come close to making any NBA team.

Excluding all of the players that I just named, I would say that the best 12th man on this list is Lavar Postell. I know that any Knick fan who is reading this is saying to themselves, "Is this guy an idiot? Lavar Postell is awful." I even thought the same thing last year. He would come off the bench for the Knicks, and he'd go 0 for 10 in 2 minutes of garbage play. After seeing him play in the SL, I have to say that I was very very impressed. He has become a great shooter, and his mid-range game is similar to Kobe Bryant's. I don't think he will ever develop into the player that he has the potential to be, but I do think that he will become a very productive 3rd or 4th option on an NBA team.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...

X-Factor, you are totally missing the point. After roster shuffling and resignings and preseason decisions, none of these guys might wind up being 12th men. Right now, IMO, these are the 12th men. With that being said,

Originally posted by <b>The X Factor</b>!
First of all...Milt Palacio is the back-up PG in Phoenix, he is certainly not a 12th man.
I contest that Randy Brown is their back-up PG and that Penny will play some point when Jacobsen comes in at the two.

Kwame Brown definitely isn't a 12th man, he was the first pick last year.
It will either be him or Etan. They get about the same PT.

Chris Crawford had a great year a couple years ago, so he definitely isn't a 12th man. The 12th man is arguably, if not definitely the worst player on the team.
He's behind DeMarr Johnson, Glenn Robinson, and Allen Henderson.

You can't call a Rookie a 12th man, because they haven't even played in a game yet, so you don't know how much they will play.
You are right, I don't know how much they will play. This is where I THINK they stand right now.

There are much worse players on the Bulls than Roger Mason Jr. Roger Mason Jr. had the skills to be the 20th pick in the draft, he was one of the top scorers in the ACC, he certainly won't be the last guy on any NBA team.
I put Lonny Baxter over him. They are battling for 12th and 13th IMO.

The Raptors last guy isn't Michael Bradley, the Magic's last guy isn't Steven Hunter, he even started for them in a few games. Stephen Jackson isn't the Spurs last guy...if you re-call in his Rookie season 2 years ago with the Nets he averaged double figures in scoring. He made a dumb decision to sign with the Spurs, but he is still not a 12th man.
In each of these cases, I think these teams have 11 guys better.

The Bucks have worse players than Jason Caffey, in fact...he is arguably better than their starting center Joel Pryzbilla.
I disagree. I think Pryzbilla has more upside and will get more PT.

Jason Jennings is absolutely awful, and will most likely not even come close to making any NBA team.
He might not, in the end, but right now he is the 12th best they have.

Excluding all of the players that I just named, I would say that the best 12th man on this list is Lavar Postell. I know that any Knick fan who is reading this is saying to themselves, "Is this guy an idiot? Lavar Postell is awful." I even thought the same thing last year. He would come off the bench for the Knicks, and he'd go 0 for 10 in 2 minutes of garbage play. After seeing him play in the SL, I have to say that I was very very impressed. He has become a great shooter, and his mid-range game is similar to Kobe Bryant's. I don't think he will ever develop into the player that he has the potential to be, but I do think that he will become a very productive 3rd or 4th option on an NBA team.
I appreciate your opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.