Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

The best 90's team to not win a championship is...

• 1992 Blazers(Clyde, Porter and Buck Williams)

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • 1993 Suns(Barkley, KJ and Majerlie)

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • 1991-1994 Knicks(Ewing, Starks and Oakley)

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 96-98 Jazz(Malone, Stockton and Hornacek)

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • Other(91 Lakers, 95 Magic and the 96 Sonics)

Votes: 1 2.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of great teams got knocked out by the Bulls and the Rockets, so which of them was the best?

I'm also gonna list the 3 best players from each team.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
i can't vote for who i think(i always get some message that says this action has failed) but anyway i think the stockton, malone, hornaceck team was the best of the ones you listed, but i think some other teams should be considered like the late 90's trailblazers heat when mourning was healthy, and orlando magic with shaq and penny

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I always get that "You can't vote because of blahblahblah" message, too. My vote goes to either the Barkley-KJ Suns or the Jazz. Tough call. No other team deserves consideration--it's definitely between those two!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I seem to remember several very good Mavericks teams but I gotta mention my Cavs. People seem to ignore that they were very good in the late 80's early 90's

1991-92 W57 L25 .695 They had Daugherty, Price, Hot Rod Williams, Larry Nance the only team they couldn't beat was Chicago.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Jazz team was very good. Two Hall of Famers, Malone and Stockton... I thought they had the best chance cuz they executed their offense so well but too much Jordan in the end.

My top vote goes to the Blazers.... they just had sooooo much talent on that team.... Cliff Robinson, Drexler, Porter, Buck, wasn't Ainge on that team too??? Even Duckworth had game. How did they lose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Best 90s team to not win the title were the 97-98 Pacers. This is the team that took MJ and the Bulls to 7 games in the East Finals before the refs reliezed MJs career was gonna end prematurely and gave the Bulls the game in the final 5 minutes.

Mark Jackson, Antonio Davis, Dale Davis, Rik Smits, Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Chris Mullin, Derrick McKey, Travis Best etc. <-- Best TEAM to never win the title during the 1990's.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Even though I do'nt like them it's the Jazz. One of the best power forwards and point guards ever, if not the best but that's a different thread entirely

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ron Artest 23</b>!
Best 90s team to not win the title were the 97-98 Pacers. This is the team that took MJ and the Bulls to 7 games in the East Finals before the refs reliezed MJs career was gonna end prematurely and gave the Bulls the game in the final 5 minutes...
Fellas, this guy isn't kidding--I saw it happen! The Pacers had the Bulls beat THE WHOLE GAME (Game 7)--anybody watching the game knew it--the Bulls players obviously knew it--it was incredible! I was sitting there with my buddies, screaming, "Guys, the Pacers are beating the Bulls, they're beating the Bulls!" for an hour. Then, five minutes to go in the game, Bulls get all the calls, Bulls win, game over. I mean, who watches Pacers-Jazz in the NBA Finals? NOBODY.

Anyway, Ron Artest 23--good to see that somebody else knows what's up. That was a hell of a team--that Pacers team you're talking about. But I think the Barkley-KJ Suns and those last few really great Stockton-Malone Jazz teams were better.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
There's no doubt that the Pacers was a VERY good team. I was impressed by Reggie Miller's last second 3 pointers.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
the 1995 spurs were pretty good.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
My vote goes to 1993 Suns:
Barkley, KJ, and Majerle

Not to mention.... a skinny Oliver Miller and high flying Richard Dumas. There were one Danny Ainge three and/or Paxson miss from winning the series.

VD

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I'm a Bulls fan, and I would have to say the Suns had the best team out of the rest, although Gary Payton, Kemp, and Schrempf was pretty good, but KJ, Barkley, Majerle were better IMO, I agree with Vin Diesel above

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
1) Orlando Magic: They had it all, great big man in Shaquille, awesome rising super star in Penny, 3 point bombers in Scott and Anderson. They should have won the finals at least once.

2)Utah Jazz: Very close second, probably the best PG and PF ever and they are on the same team, clutch shooters in Jeff and Morris, good backup big men in Greg and Carr, player in Russell and young talent in Shandon at the time.

3)Seattle Sonics: Had probably the best PF and PG at the time in Kemp and Payton, good backups, great cluth shooter in Hawkins and Ellis, big man in Ervin, just had to play the Bulls.

4)Phoenix Suns: Great low post guy in Barkley even though he was not in his "athletic" prime really. Awesome clutch guy in KJ and Dan, good at defense to but again had to play MJ and the Bulls.

5)Indiana Pacers: Had the two Davis's in the post, awesome shooter scorer in Rick, great clutch backup at the time in Best, had probably one of the best clutch shooters ever in Reggie, even Mullin as well, and Rose later on, but again the Bulls.

Others.....

What about Charlotte???? They had a AWESOME team with LJ, Boges running the PG and a great big man in Mourning, that team was awesome to watch and those to big men were in there "athletic" prime as well, and LJ did not even have back problems then.

And the Spurs when David Robinson had his MVP season that year.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn, no love for the Knicks? They were the only team to take the bulls to 7 games in 1992 until the pacers did it in 1998. Almost every bulls player admits that the Knicks were the toughest of them all. Took them to 7 games in 92, 6 in 93 and won against a jordan-less bulls in 7 games in 94(though the bulls got cheated that year)

·
Registered
225 Posts
It doesn't seem like any one team has stood out. The Blazers, the Suns, the Sonics, and the Jazz all fielded strong teams at one point or another. I say the Blazers.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The OUTLAW</b>!
I seem to remember several very good Mavericks teams but I gotta mention my Cavs. People seem to ignore that they were very good in the late 80's early 90's

1991-92 W57 L25 .695 They had Daugherty, Price, Hot Rod Williams, Larry Nance the only team they couldn't beat was Chicago.
i agree...that had to have been so frustrating for you guys...you had some good teams.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!

i agree...that had to have been so frustrating for you guys...you had some good teams.
Thank you for at least acknowledging it, seems that everyone else has a short memory. Yeah they weren't a terribly exciting team but they were very good.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
i always felt sorry for Ehlo

i remember he had a good defensive game against jordan and then got lit up on TNT i think. I think that teams main problem besides jordan was that they were a bit fragile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts