Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)Chris Gaston, Fordham

Senior combo forward has carried his team for three years and is always among the top scorers (17.7 PPG) and rebounders (10 RPG) in the league. Gaston is not an especially efficient scorer with all the defensive attention, but he gets his points and helps his team in a number of other ways.

2)Chris Braswell, Charlotte

Steady inside force for the Niners led the team in scoring (16 PPG) and rebounding (7.6 RPG) and even showed some long-range shooting ability. Yet he’s most effective on the blocks and is the fulcrum of Charlotte’s offense. Unlike most bigmen, he’s a good foul shooter, too. The team suffers when he is not in the game.

3)Ron Roberts Jr., St. Joseph’s.

An undersized combo forward, Roberts uses explosive athleticism, good positioning and great body control to score most of his points inside (11 PPG, 60% FG, 5.6 RPG). He disappears at times, but when he’s on his game he can take it over. Human hightlight reel really fires up the home crowd.

4)Derrick Williams, Richmond

This 275-pound beast is surprisingly deft on his feet and has a great feel for the game. Williams (11 ppg, 54% FG) is a load inside and will occasionally surprise teams by popping a trey (35% 3PG). He also does his fair share of boardwork and is actually a good passer out of the post. Expect a big year for DW.

5)Jerrell Wright, LaSalle

Arguably the best power player in last year’s freshman class, Wright averaged 10 points and nearly 6 boards a game in his first year and he’s only going to get better – much better. He is athletic and physical, with a soft touch and knack for scoring inside. Staying out of foul trouble and playing better defense are areas he needs to work on.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Too bad Braswell gets stuck playing center so much. I think he'd be all-conference if he got to play the pf spot. But playing center leaves him going up against taller shot blockers down low, which give him trouble if they are also mobile (i.e. very good centers). When this happens, he tends to drift outside more. But if the Niners had had a center to occupy the opposing big man (or else make the other team pay for trying to cover the center with a much shorter guy) and shifted Braswell to power forward, his post moves become much more effective.

I guess most A10 teams could say that about lacking true centers. Also, pretty interesting to compare this list to the pg/sg/sf lists. I like the guys 3-5, but they don't strike me as top conference players like the pg's 3-5 (at least not yet).

·
Registered
598 Posts
Agreed, so many teams are going to 1-big systems now, especially when they have a stud like Braswell. I guess most coaches prefer the spacing and shooters, but there is no doubt it stunts the abilities of guys like Braswell and even Gaston sometimes.

I think Josh Benson will be the only big on the floor for Dayton a decent amount this year as well, with guys like Oliver and Pierre guarding 4s. He doesn't deserve to be on this list, but the A10 has never seen Benson at his best. If he plays at the level he was playing when he went out with an injury, he could work his way onto this list by season's end.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Ron Roberts' potential is very high, but I have a hard time believing Jefferson isn't up there. Jefferson doesn't put up amazing overall numbers, but he does absolutely everything while playing top notch defense. He is what keeps Temple together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GW's David Pellom is probably on this list too if he wasn't starting the season comming off an elbow injury. Averaged 10.5 pts and 6.1 rebounds last season leading the conf with a 0.685 FG%. Very athletic, Pellom finished the year very strong with about 14pts and 9 rbs/game going and ungodly 53-72 (73.6%)from the floor over the last 10 games.

Pellom had arm surgury in Aug and is supposed to be back in the late Nov early Dec time period. His return to production is vital if GW has any hope of a winning season in the A10 this year.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron Roberts' potential is very high, but I have a hard time believing Jefferson isn't up there. Jefferson doesn't put up amazing overall numbers, but he does absolutely everything while playing top notch defense. He is what keeps Temple together.
Hollis-Jefferson was on my list of top power forwards. One of seven from which I drew my top 5 list. He definitely is one of the best combo forwards in the league, though I ultimately left him off because of offense. A strong case can be made for him too.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Agreed, so many teams are going to 1-big systems now, especially when they have a stud like Braswell. I guess most coaches prefer the spacing and shooters, but there is no doubt it stunts the abilities of guys like Braswell and even Gaston sometimes.

I think Josh Benson will be the only big on the floor for Dayton a decent amount this year as well, with guys like Oliver and Pierre guarding 4s. He doesn't deserve to be on this list, but the A10 has never seen Benson at his best. If he plays at the level he was playing when he went out with an injury, he could work his way onto this list by season's end.
I agree on Benson. Was really really starting to dominate the block heading into A10 play before his injury. Was just too quick for most PF to guard and had range out to 18 feet. By all accounts, he's just fine and practicing at full speed.

Don't forget about Devon Scott. He's college ready. Not saying he's a top 5 PF right now but at 6'9" 230+ pounds, he'll get minutes at the 4 spot.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Benson and Pellom are obviously fine players with all-league potential. Benson has always been a guy who, on paper and when you see him physically, should be among the league's best inside players. Pellom is an excellent defender who's terrific in transition, but his offense has always been the underwater side of his game.

I left both of the list because of injuries.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Benson and Pellom are obviously fine players with all-league potential. Benson has always been a guy who, on paper and when you see him physically, should be among the league's best inside players. Pellom is an excellent defender who's terrific in transition, but his offense has always been the underwater side of his game.

I left both of the list because of injuries.
And I agree on leaving them off your list. Both have the injury question that needs to be answered.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts