Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a lot of talk lately about the youth movement in the NBA. As we all know, recruiting isn't an exact science, and there will always be diamonds in the rough. A recent example: Tracy McGrady. Tracy was a relative unknown until he exploded at the summer basketball camps following his junior year, transferred to Mount Zion, and then declared for the draft.

Back to my original point, there will always be players that buck the trend, blossom late, and turn into a star later. So let's compile a list of the best small school players.

Several rules on who should not be on the list. 1) Div I transfers to a smaller school should not be on the list. For example, Larry Bird. Transferred to Indiana State from Indiana. 2) HS All-Americans going to a JC or small college due to grades, then to the NBA, i.e. Shawn Kemp and Adonal Foyle (Foyle went to Colgate at the urging of his parents, both educators). 3) Euros. It's arguable that the NBA already knows the top Euros out there.

Here's a few, please add some more. Later on, we can vote for the best diamond in the rough.

1) Scottie Pippen - Central Arkansas St.
2) Dennis Rodman - Forgot the college in Oklahoma. Help?
3) David Robinson - Navy (Debatable, but I placed him here because he was an unknown prior to the Academy)
4) Hersey Hawkins - Bradley
5) Dan Majerle - Central Michigan St. (Is that school correct?)
6) Darrell Armstrong - Fayetteville St.
7) Vin Baker - Hartford
8) John Stockton - Gonzaga (not the NCAA power it is now back when John played there)

Others?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Well i'm from Fayetteville
and Daryl went to Fayetteville State so i choose
number 6

I know what your thinking but that's not biased at all

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
John Starks was playing in the CBA before the Knicks picked him up.

Anthony Mason, I think he played in the CBA, too, not sure where he went to school.

Charles Oakley went to Virginia Union. So did Ben Wallace, actually. Virginia Union is not even Division 1, by the way.

Karl Malone went to Louisiana Tech, not exactly a powerhouse program. I believe it was a Sun Belt school back then (not sure if it still is, the Sun Belt is constantly switching its teams around). PJ Brown went there, too.

Steve Nash went to Santa Clara (same conference as Gonzaga).

Doug Christie went to Pepperdine.

Wally World went to Miami of Ohio (same conference as Central Michigan, the MAC).

Bonzi Wells went to Ball State (also a MAC school).

Michael Olowokandi went to Pacific (like Gonzaga and Santa Clara, a WCC school, I'm pretty sure).

Derek Fisher went to Arkansas-Little Rock (a Sun Belt school).

Malik Rose went to Drexel (which may be in the same conference as Colgate, I'm not sure).

Popeye Jones went to Murray State.

Devean George went to a non-Division 1 school, too, somewhere in Minnesota, I believe.

Jeff Foster went to a tiny D-1 school (although I am totally blanking on the name right now, somewhere in Texas or Louisiana, I'm pretty sure).

Speedy Claxton went to Hofstra (same conference as Drexel).

Of course, some of these dudes aren't exactly stars, but still, they're all pretty damn good!

David Robinson was an unknown prior to starring at the Naval Academy? Are you SURE about that? A dude that tall, with that kind of athletic ability, those kinds of skills, I find it hard to believe that he wasn't pretty heavily recruited by Top 20 programs!

Scottie Pippen, Central Arkansas--what a story! People around here rag on Pippen all the time, hell, I rag on the guy sometimes, but fellas, this dude was a ballboy at an NAIA school and he's going to end up in the Hall of Fame, that's incredible! Everybody makes a big deal about Jordan getting cut from his HS freshman basketball team. Something tells me that he wouldn't have gotten cut from MY high school's freshman basketball team! I mean, I'm a 5'10" white dude with no hops, and if I didn't get cut from my HS freshman basketball team, I'm pretty sure that MICHAEL JORDAN wouldn't have gotten cut, either! Jordan went to the University of North Carolina, the most storied program in college basketball over the past 30 years, so he obviously isn't THAT much of a rags-to-riches story. Scottie Pippen not only went from an NAIA school to the Hall of Fame, he went from being the BALLBOY at an NAIA school to the Hall of Fame! UNBELIEVABLE! Give that dude some credit!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Devean George went to Augsburg, a small college in Minneapolis. I know this all too well because my girlfriend graduated with him. He asked her out their freshman year, ans she turned him down. I always tell her that she could've been a Laker wife, and I remind her of this every Laker game. It's also fun to tell each of my friends! We got a chance to meet him here when the Lakers held their camp in Hawaii last year. Nice guy, got a level head on his shoulders.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good selections robyg1974. Starks went to Oklahoma State, not exactly a small school, so I'd leave him off the list. Anthony Mason went to Tennessee State, that's a good selection.

I forgot all about Steve Nash. I remember watching him destroy my beloved UCLA in late '95 at the Maui Invitational, the first game after UCLA had won the '95 Championship.

Trivia for today. Steve Nash wasn't the first player from Santa Clara to make the NBA. The first player from the college had a good career, and was known for his hustle and desire. I believe he's on the bench as an assistant coach now. Anyone care to guess?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
David Robinson was an unknown prior to starring at the Naval Academy? Are you SURE about that? A dude that tall, with that kind of athletic ability, those kinds of skills, I find it hard to believe that he wasn't pretty heavily recruited by Top 20 programs!
If I'm not mistaken, Robinson was only around 6'5 when he graduated highschool. He had one more major growth spurt while in college, turning him into a center and a surefire NBA prospect.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Chris Andersen will be.
Robert Pack CBA
Moochie Norris CBA
Chris Childs CBA
David Wesley CBA
Avery Johnson CBA
Adrian Griffin USBL
Mario Elie CBA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts