Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>spongyfungy</b>!
Who is the best NBA player currently playing, that's from Europe that has the best D. (I hope I worded it right)

Jiri Welsch, Tsakilidis, Jaric, Kirilenko is all i can think of that plays good D.
argentina isnt in europe but i would put manu ginobille up there with kirilenko.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Kirilinko by far

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Kirilenko is a DPOY candidate, and Eurasian at least, so it's him.

Okur plays good D. He actually realizes he's a frontcourt player.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I think AK is the best foreign and Euro defensive player. I think Manu is the next best foreign player on D.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jokeaward</b>!
Kirilenko is a DPOY candidate, and Eurasian at least, so it's him.

Okur (Turkey, close enough) plays good D. He actually realizes he's a frontcourt player.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Jiri Welsh is a better on the ball defender than Kirilenko. AK is probably a better help defender.

I'd rate Ginobili as the best, then Welsch and Kirilenko tied for 2nd, Okur 4th. Jaric isn't as good as Welsch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
JIRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

No doubt, its not just cuz hes a Celtics player, but he is really that good guarding perimeter kinda guy.

Hes got a lot of potential, hopefully he gets a lot better.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Jiri Welsh is a better on the ball defender than Kirilenko. AK is probably a better help defender.

I'd rate Ginobili as the best, then Welsch and Kirilenko tied for 2nd, Okur 4th. Jaric isn't as good as Welsch.

welsch better defender than kirilenko, is that a joke?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
jaric

the best at hittin the passin lanes, reachin in, in isolations

if you have a 2 on 1 fast break no player is more dangerous than jaric

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!

Just watch the two of them play. One thing you will notice right away is that Welsch always guards the other team's best scorer. Kirilenko doesn't.
i am a lifelong celtic fan but living on the west coast i dont see them much, i do see a lot of kirilenko and he's a lights out defender just ask guys like kobe bryant,peja and shawn marion. i noticed people arent badmouthing danny ainge and some of his moves lately, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nashdaddy25</b>!
kililenko is basically the only european player to play defense
Not true... but I think Kirilenko is by far the best defender.. and maybe is is the most versatile defender of the league with Artest... and a top five defender of the league.. I love Ak.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I started this thread because European players get knocked for having poor defense. Some are learning like Stojakovic. Some still imitate matadors. *ahem* Nowitzki

I'm surprised that some people recognize Jiri and Jaric as good defenders. AK does put up the numbers (steals and blocks) Maybe I'll start a worst European defender.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Kirilenko is the best Euro defender. But second has to be Jaric he has the best hands in the league he got 11 deflections in the second half of the Memphis game a couple days go. Plus last year led NBA in steals to 48 min. This year is 8th. AK can block shots and get steals .AK is the only player to have at least 5 pts 5 rebs 5 ast 5 stls 5 blk in a game. it's only been done twice before in NBA history. He is the best Euro period.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
11 deflections in one half!

and this game he was finally gettin some recognition from the clipper announcers

Lawler:who is the best defender on the clippers Mike?(laughs as if its obvious)
Mike: (laughs also) there he is marko jaric

^^^^something along the lines of that

do you beleive me now?
all those sayin that he isnt even the best Defender on the team
do you beleive me not that others say it?
the supposed NBA "experts"

and i saw this when??
umm...like 2nd game of LAST season

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
all those sayin that he isnt even the best Defender on the team
OK, he may be the best defender on the team, but that doesn't make him the best Euro/foreign defender. This thread isn't about who the best defender on the Clippers is.

Just watch the two of them play. One thing you will notice right away is that Welsch always guards the other team's best scorer. Kirilenko doesn't.
One thing that should also be noticed is that they play different positions. Jiri is a SG/SF, and Kirilenko is a PF. You can't accurately compare these two since they do guard different types/styles of players.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
UMMM
11 deflections in one half!
the record is 11 blocks in one half
and hte guy probably had a couple of other deflections
but htat has to be somewhere close for a guard

he gets his hand on EVERY ball
he is a nightmare to dribble against

kirilenko puts up better block numbers
but if you counted overall deflections