Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pick yours and give your reasons :rolleyes:
It can be a major blowing but I just saw it as a depressing lost. The kind of game we should have won with this little difference that always make the edge choose it's side.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The most depressing loss of the season for me was the game where we lost to the Jazz in the Delta Center. If I remember correctly, that was in the midst of the stretch where the scrub-type forwards were destroying us. Lo and behold, Mr. Mehmet Okur comes out and plays a career game. He destroyed us on the offensive glass all night long and then tortured us by tipping in the winning shot at the buzzer.

I almost destroyed my TV after we lost that game.

11,213 Posts
Re: Best & Most depressive - Spurs loss ever

lol you made this thread twice :biggrin:

Anyways I think almost everyone would agree with me that it was last year's Spurs vs. Lakers game 5.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
The most depressing Spurs loss in recent memory is obviously vs the Lakers, when DFish hit the game winner w/ .4 seconds left to win. I truly believe had we won that game, we would have repeated. TD had just made a miraculous shot and there was no way(I thought) they could even get a shot off. I remember I almost broke my hand on the wall after that game.

As for the best Spurs game, in recent memory, it was probably the Clincher vs the Nets to win our 2nd NBA Championship. It was a really emotional victory b/c Drob was leaving the team, and we also played a great game w/ TD 2 blocks away from a quadruple double.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Apparently, I missed the part about this being of all-time. I change my vote to good ole' .4 for all the reasons mentioned above. Tim Duncan's shot was the most amazing I have ever seen in my lifetime all to be ruined by a scrub. :(

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
texan said:
The most depressing Spurs loss in recent memory is obviously vs the Lakers, when DFish hit the game winner w/ .4 seconds left to win. I truly believe had we won that game, we would have repeated. TD had just made a miraculous shot and there was no way(I thought) they could even get a shot off. I remember I almost broke my hand on the wall after that game.

As for the best Spurs game, in recent memory, it was probably the Clincher vs the Nets to win our 2nd NBA Championship. It was a really emotional victory b/c Drob was leaving the team, and we also played a great game w/ TD 2 blocks away from a quadruple double.
no doubt this one

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
cough more then .4 lol :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
ezealen said:
lol, TheRoc5, the .4 shot was in the Spurs vs. Lakers game 5 of last year.
ya i no im just sayn that u no it was more then .4 seconds :biggrin:

11,213 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
ya i no im just sayn that u no it was more then .4 seconds :biggrin:
oh I'm sorry. It's kinda hard to understand you sometimes. But yeah you're rite. I think it was Fox Sports or Southwest Sports Report or something of that sort that reviewed it a couple times, and according to them it took .6 seconds from when the ball first touched his hands to when it left his hands. The commisioner or someone responded to something about that back when the spurs were protesting the shot. He said that human reactions are .2 seconds late, which is true. But then why do we let them play the ball with .4 seconds left if no one can accurately start the clock in time? I think we should change ther rule from if there's .3 seconds left then the game is over to if there's .5 seconds lef the game is over or atleast they should have taken .2 seconds off the .4 seconds in order to make it more accurate sine there'd be a delay. lol I hope my rambling made scense :biggrin: . What I'm really trying to say is, the shot shouldn't have counted.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
we should be goning on a 3peat :cry:

11,213 Posts
These things happen. We need to forget about last season and focus on this season. If we won last season, everything could have changed. We may never have gotten some of the players we did or be as good as we were or may have even have gotten better. We loss for a reason, whether it was to get better or worse. We'll just have to wait and see what that reason was.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Best win in recent memory was beating the Lakers in Game 6 in the 2003 playoffs. Even though that was only the Western Conference Finals, we pretty much knew the championship was in the bag. New Jersey was a pretty darn good team, but the Lakers were the only team standing in our way of that championship, and after beating them the feeling as awesome.

Worst loss in recent memory was unquestionably the infamous Fisher game winning heave, and for several reasons. Number one, we stunk the whole damn game and didn't deserve to win. Number two, it was a lucky shot under lucky circumstances by a reserve Guard. That was a really tough loss.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
texan said:

definitely those two are the best/worst game... the .4 shot is such a heartbreaker for me. ohh well

this season, i think the best win is the one against the suns! manu with 48 points and brought it to overtime. that game was awesome! as for the worst game, i say its the one against the rockets w/ t-mac's 13 points in 30 something seconds... i can't watch most of the spurs' games but those are the ones i can for sure remember...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
Best win in recent memory was beating the Lakers in Game 6 in the 2003 playoffs. Even though that was only the Western Conference Finals, we pretty much knew the championship was in the bag. New Jersey was a pretty darn good team, but the Lakers were the only team standing in our way of that championship, and after beating them the feeling as awesome.
Naw, that was the Semi-Finlals remember? You guys till had to go through a tough Dallas team that fought pretty hard without Dirk

Worst loss in recent memory was unquestionably the infamous Fisher game winning heave, and for several reasons. Number one, we stunk the whole damn game and didn't deserve to win. Number two, it was a lucky shot under lucky circumstances by a reserve Guard. That was a really tough loss.
What I find amazing about that game was it was a replica of the game 5 the year before that, just a little reversal.

2003:
Spurs/Lakers tied 2-2
San Antonio storms out to 21 point lead, I think it was?
Lakers make furious come back.
Horry set up for a 3 so the Lakers could take the lead......and it rims out...:(
Spurs take 3-2 lead.
Spurs close out Lakers at Staples Center

2004:
Spurs/Lakers tied 2-2
Lakers grab a 17 point lead, I think?
Spurs make comeback, and take the lead!
Almost the same spot where Horry rimmed out the 3, Fisher sinks a mircle shot!
Lakers take 3-2 lead.
Lakers close out Spurs at Staple Center.

Damn, how eerie is that!?!????

Typing that up made me :cry: , I truly miss when an SA/LA game made me nervous as hell and had my heart pumping. As much as the NBA tried to push the Lakers/Kings rivalry, Spurs/Lakers was the ****. Just a really great rivalry, probably the best of the milennium by farrrr....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great Post HallofFamer...Those games were very similar...Things like that are what made the rivalry so great...

I do miss the rivalry, even though we have been without it for a whole 10 months...and I would even be so bold as to say that the Spurs miss it too...remember at the beginning of the season when Pop said that he would rather the Lakers be as good as they were because they were great games and it gave the West something to shoot for...

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
HallOfFamer said:
Naw, that was the Semi-Finlals remember? You guys till had to go through a tough Dallas team that fought pretty hard without Dirk

I guess I didn't remember at the time. Still, I remember the feeling after beating the Lakers in the playoffs, and it was pretty much a foregone conclusion IMO that we were going to win the title after that. I do remember that Dallas series now that I think about it, and even though it wasn't easy to beat them, I was still confident going into the series that we were going to win it all.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK youngsters.... time to refresh some old guy's memories :biggrin:

1978 ... Spurs play in the nba for the first time... they make it to the playoffs. Spurs lead 3-1 in the first round of the Eastern nba playoffs in the first round... Washington takes the 6th game @San Antonio by 3 points with a significant help from the refs (at least that's what my uncle says...I was born in 78). Game 4 Spurs have a good lead in the 4th and then again the refs screw it all up and it all felt apart for San Antonio... Bullets took the series. God damn refs :curse:

1990 ... round 2 game 7 @Portland, my first MAJOR disapointment as a Spurs fan :
2 OT...Blazers possession...We have a 2 point lead with 30 seconds left...David Wingate, who basibly couldn't shoot a three pointer during the whole season kills us as he hits a huge basket from downtown.
Spurs possession... down by one, our PG Rod Strickland runs the show and fires a dumb no look pass to the goal post miles aways from DRob or any other player in Silver and Black. COMPLETE BS :dead:

... Wether we got killed by other teams between 90/03 wether we played pathetic ball at moments, I don't remember a game we should have won. The Jazz rulled us on a regular basis come playoff time, so did the Rockets...
After that the Lakers took over after we swept them so basicly we weren't good enough to even be "stolen" some games. These were blowouts.
Jazz or Lakers, I remember years where we lost our 1st if not first two games while having HCA. Not even close.

After this time warp we now reach the next millenium and can see some close losses that should have been wins.

2003 ... Round 1 game 1 versus Phoenix, Great game... Big play after big play from both teams but we had the edge the whole game... It seemed like every player on the floor was making efficient great plays. In OT Timmay missed two straight free throws, Marbs runs it all court and banks a desperate running shot at the buzzer in Texas... Amare hit a three over the glass over DROB to make them clinch OT.

2003 ... Regular season Lost in 2OT vs Lakers w/o Tim Manu had a huge game

2004 ... 0.4 of course

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
The worst loss this season, IMO, was the Toronto Raptors game early in the season. We were up 15 or something on them going into the 4th quarter, with all our guys healthy if I remember correctly, and we let Lamond Murray,of all people, beat us. VC wasn't even playing, and we blew a 15pt 4th quarter lead in a place where you wouldn't have noticed had the fans been there or not.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts