Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE: You are voting for which player was the best at the time they were wearing the number, NOT for their entire career (assuming they wore more than one number).

Ray Allen - Boston Celtics (08, 09, 10, 11, 12)
Manu Ginobili - San Antonio Spurs (03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Allan Houston - Detroit Pistons (94, 95, 96), New York Knicks (97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05)
Gary Payton - Seattle SuperSonics (93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03), Milwaukee Bucks (03), Los Angeles Lakers (04), Boston Celtics (05), Miami Heat (06, 07)
Michael Ray Richardson - New York Knicks (79, 80, 81, 82), Golden State Warriors (83), New Jersey Nets (83, 84, 85, 86)
Maurice Lucas - Spirits of St. Louis (75, 76), New Jersey Nets (81), Phoenix Suns (83, 84, 85), Los Angeles Lakers (86), Seattle SuperSonics (87), Portland Trail Blazers (77, 78, 79, 80, 88)
Other (Please Specify)

00/0 - Robert Parish
1 - Tracy McGrady
2 - Moses Malone
3 - Dwyane Wade
4 - Chris Webber
5 - Jason Kidd
6 - Bill Russell
7 - Kevin Johnson
8 - Kobe Bryant
9 - Bob Pettit
10 - Walt Frazier
11 - Isiah Thomas
12 - John Stockton
13 - Wilt Chamberlain
14 - Oscar Robertson
15 - Hal Greer
16 - Pau Gasol
17 - John Havlicek
18 - Dave Cowens
19 - Willis Reed

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If Alvin Williams had Karl Malone durability in his career, this wouldn't be a question. He was instrumental in the Raptors' surge in 2000 and sacrificed everything on the floor whether through health or sickness. Some of the other players in this poll might look better on paper, but if we're talking about the best player to show poise and determination towards the game, A-Dubb is second to none.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Ray Allen.

Duh.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I'm going with GP, even if he peaked early and hung around too long. Manu and Houston have/had injury problems and Ray wasn't in #20 long enough. Probably would have been Michael Ray if it wasn't for all the cocaine.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
This is another super easy one. I'm still very disappointed with the outcome of the #16 voting, though. Awful.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I'm going with GP, even if he peaked early and hung around too long. Manu and Houston have/had injury problems and Ray wasn't in #20 long enough. Probably would have been Michael Ray if it wasn't for all the cocaine.
Peaked early? 10 years into his career I considered him the best guard in the league.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Peaked early? 10 years into his career I considered him the best guard in the league.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
You know, normally I'd try to play this off, but F it: I'm a little hungover from last night, and when I saw 1993 listed as his first year wearing #20, my reaction was "Wow, I thought he came into the league earlier than that, but there it is. He took the league by storm from day one." So...yea, maybe I should hold off on posting in the morning until my head clears.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
if you do not put Mo Lucas's name up on that list pronto Im going to burn down this f-ing thread!
(Im going to go with Payton either way but still...)

·
Registered
283 Posts
This has to be the closest blowout.

I voted for The Glove but he was just ahead of Ray and Manu in my mind and I guess a lot of others thought that too.

GP is far better than those 2 but in my head it feels like a very small gap.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Ray was #34 in his prime - only wore 20 as a celt so it's not as close as you might think

and where the hell is Maurice Lucas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually thought I added him to the original list. I had it copied but I guess I never pasted it. My bad.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
It's crazy how some of these races that aren't close at all really should be. I wonder if people are looking at results before they vote, because MRR, Manu, and Mo should definitely be getting a few votes.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
It's crazy how some of these races that aren't close at all really should be. I wonder if people are looking at results before they vote, because MRR, Manu, and Mo should definitely be getting a few votes.
over a 9 time allstar, who was honored with 9 all nba 1st team defense, and 9 all nba 1st, 2nd or 3rd team nods and was former DpoY? do tell?

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
over a 9 time allstar, who was honored with 9 all nba 1st team defense, and 9 all nba 1st, 2nd or 3rd team nods and was former DpoY? do tell?
And won a championship riding coattails. I voted for Payton, but I thought at least Manu's titles might get him some recognition, as well as the legend of MRR and Lucas. I suppose not.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
titles are a team accomplishment - when has manu ever been the #1 guy on his squad let alone often not even a starter...? and MMR? really...? olden times Marbury with a drug habit a bit?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
You're crazy. Payton is the only guy on the list that ever was considered the best at his position... and was for a good 5 year period. Only Jason Kidd had an argument.

Manu was top 3 at best. The others not even top 5.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Gotta go with Darren Daye. ;)

Especially his Boston days. Without him, I don't think Lakers win the title in 1987. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts