Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: You are voting for which player was the best at the time they were wearing the number, NOT for their entire career (assuming they wore more than one number).

Elgin Baylor - Minneapolis Lakers (59, 60), Los Angeles Lakers (61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72)
Dave DeBusschere - Detroit Pistons (63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69), New York Knicks (69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74)
Clyde Drexler - Portland Trail Blazers (84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95), Houston Rockets (95, 96, 97, 98)
Rudy Gay - Memphis Grizzlies (07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Ed Macauley - Boston Celtics (51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56)
Larry Nance - Phoenix Suns (82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88), Cleveland Cavaliers (89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94)
Tayshaun Prince - Detroit Pistons (03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Michael Redd - Milwaukee Bucks (01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11), Phoenix Suns (12)
Other (Please Specify)

00/0 - Robert Parish
1 - Tracy McGrady
2 - Moses Malone
3 - Dwyane Wade
4 - Chris Webber
5 - Jason Kidd
6 - Bill Russell
7 - Kevin Johnson
8 - Kobe Bryant
9 - Bob Pettit
10 - Walt Frazier
11 - Isiah Thomas
12 - John Stockton
13 - Wilt Chamberlain
14 - Oscar Robertson
15 - Hal Greer
16 - Pau Gasol
17 - John Havlicek
18 - Dave Cowens
19 - Willis Reed
20 - Gary Payton
21 - Tim Duncan

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Elgin vs. Drexler is an interesting battle. Analysis to follow when I get more time.

·
You think you know me
395 Posts
Drexler is the best player to wear #22 in my opinion. My FAVOURITE player to wear #22 though, was Danny Ainge (Phoenix).

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I think there's a certain school that gives Clyde more credit than he was due and see him as a transcendant player rather than just a very good player

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Baylor's numbers are pace inflated... I wonder how many points Drexler could have put up had he been able to shoot the ball 27-30 times per game. The rebounds are inflated too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Baylor's numbers are pace inflated... I wonder how many points Drexler could have put up had he been able to shoot the ball 27-30 times per game. The rebounds are inflated too.
:fail:

Don't be mad that they can't run and gun with the old school players.

Read up on it, they just play the game slower recently, not the older players fault young'ns can't keep up.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
It's not that they can't, the game is just more deliberate now.

It is true that pretty much anything stat-wise pre-90's is inflated. Reb%, offensive rating, etc. are better for comparisons between the two eras.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Drexler played in the 80s so the pace thing is a little less of a factor but even if you do factor pace Baylor's stats smash Drexler's (I mean what does 38-17 factor down to? 33-12?)

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
:fail:

Don't be mad that they can't run and gun with the old school players.

Read up on it, they just play the game slower recently, not the older players fault young'ns can't keep up.
You're giving me the facepalm and then following it up with the assertion that Clyde the Glide ****ing Drexler couldn't run and gun with the players of the 50's and 60's? Ok.

Baylor will likely get my vote ultimately, but his numbers are pace inflated. When he put up 38 and 18 his team was scoring 118ppg... and they were in the bottom half of offenses in the league. Clyde did play on some high paced teams in the 80's, but the most high volume offenses of Clyde's prime would have been among the slowest paced offenses in Baylor's time. It was just a different league. And, for what it is worth, Clyde was a far more efficient player.

I realize he wore a Laker uniform so there won't be a ton of objectivity on this board (Jamel calling him the 2nd most dominating offensive player ever, for example... Wilt, MJ anyone?) but those laughing off Clyde Drexler are selling him short. Neither won an MVP. Clyde is +1 in championships.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
You're giving me the facepalm and then following it up with the assertion that Clyde the Glide ****ing Drexler couldn't run and gun with the players of the 50's and 60's? Ok.

Baylor will likely get my vote ultimately, but his numbers are pace inflated. When he put up 38 and 18 his team was scoring 118ppg... and they were in the bottom half of offenses in the league. Clyde did play on some high paced teams in the 80's, but the most high volume offenses of Clyde's prime would have been among the slowest paced offenses in Baylor's time. It was just a different league. And, for what it is worth, Clyde was a far more efficient player.

I realize he wore a Laker uniform so there won't be a ton of objectivity on this board (Jamel calling him the 2nd most dominating offensive player ever, for example... Wilt, MJ anyone?) but those laughing off Clyde Drexler are selling him short. Neither won an MVP. Clyde is +1 in championships.
1) Wilt (not Laker Wilt either)
2) Elgin
3) Jordan
4) Kareem

Take pace and anything else you want to and try to argue with me that Drexler was a more dominant scorer than Elgin please. And then you have the balls to say I'm the one that's not objective?

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
If Elgin Baylor and Clyde Drexler are going to be on a poll, why are you even bothering with Rudy Gay and Tayshaun Prince?

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
1) Wilt (not Laker Wilt either)
2) Elgin
3) Jordan
4) Kareem

Take pace and anything else you want to and try to argue with me that Drexler was a more dominant scorer than Elgin please. And then you have the balls to say I'm the one that's not objective?
Never said Drexler was a more "dominant" scorer (strawman)... just that Baylor wasn't 2nd... and that didn't take much in the way of balls.

Humor me though... give me the argument for Baylor being a more dominant offensive player than Jordan.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts