Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Best Player To Wear #3?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm skipping #2 because it's quite obviously Moses Malone. Nobody else is really in contention. #3 will be a lot more interesting:

Allen Iverson
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Ben Wallace
Dale Ellis
Other (Please Specify)

00/0 - Robert Parish
1 - Tracy McGrady
2 - Moses Malone

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
Iverson was a beauty to watch. He carried an average team to the finals. Wade had Shaq and James.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Iverson was a beauty to watch.
false - Iverson was a ball pounding, system killing chucker whose team was fortunate enough to have played in the weakest conference in the history of the game

he was horrible to watch - just the worst

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Clearly it's Wade. AI's MVP was...well, let's not get into that. This is another one where FG% plays a big role. Wade, LeBron, AI, and Jordan are the only players post-merger to average 30+ pts and 7+ assists in a season. AI is the only one who has done it twice, but he averaged the most minutes (43/42, compared to 40/40/38.6 for Jordan, James, and Wade, respectively). Most importantly, AI is the only one who did it shooting under 45% from the field (44.7, 42.4). Jordan, James, and Wade shot 53.8, 48.4, and 49.1, respectively. I don't know much about win shares or pay them much mind, but needless to say, those three rated significantly higher than Iverson in those seasons.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
AI.

Worse team and people forget how many FTs he took. One of the best at getting to the line.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
One more thing, I don't think many people outside of Miami realize Wade had probably played his most impressive basketball with Shaq injured/off the floor/traded. There seems to be the notion that his success was all because of playing with Shaq.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Marbury, the conversation begins and ends with the answer being Steph.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
I wouldn't argue with AI or Wade. I feel like Im prone to pick AI because he was the face of my generation growing up as my love for basketball really developed but Wade has two rings....AI never played with a Shaq or LeBron in his life though.

Not casting a vote at this second.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Would any other NBA player be this excited to be playing in China for the championship? Pure love for the game right here.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
One more thing, I don't think many people outside of Miami realize Wade had probably played his most impressive basketball with Shaq injured/off the floor/traded. There seems to be the notion that his success was all because of playing with Shaq.
in one game of Wades first finals the big cheese put up a stellar 10 pt 7 rebound game

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
in one game of Wades first finals the big cheese put up a stellar 10 pt 7 rebound game
Can you not flame our third leading scorer in that finals behind Antoine Walker? Sheesh.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I love it when Heat fans try to belittle Shaq's influence/pretend like they would have won the '06 championship if it wasn't for the big fella.

This is still probably Wade though, at least as far as impact on the court. If we're talking about overall influence then it's Iverson and this isn't even a real debate.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
why? was there a spread of no practicing, bad teammate, ball chucking sweeping the nation that I havent heard about?

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Let's also not forget he scored 9 points in the closeout game. Zo was clearly better during that series, and maybe the entire playoffs. Shaq had a 30/20 game against the Bulls, but most of his play beyond that left much to be desired. '05 was Shaq's last Shaq-type season, which was still below his prime.

I love it when Heat fans try to belittle Shaq's influence/pretend like they would have won the '06 championship if it wasn't for the big fella.

This is still probably Wade though, at least as far as impact on the court. If we're talking about overall influence then it's Iverson and this isn't even a real debate.
No one's saying we wouldn't have won without him. The point is many outside of Miami make Wade out to be Vince Carter clutching onto the coattails of superstar Shaq. That simply wasn't the case. Shaq was a shell of himself by then.

And AI's influence was a negative one. Hence all of the "combo" guards who really are just small scorers, and aren't prone to making their teams better. A true, good, combo guard can run a team and get his own. Not sure AI's NBA cultural influence was one to be championed either.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
why? was there a spread of no practicing, bad teammate, ball chucking sweeping the nation that I havent heard about?
Yes, it's called the 2004 US Olympic basketball team.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts