Other (Please Specify)

00/0 - Robert Parish
1 - Tracy McGrady
2 - Moses Malone
3 - Dwyane Wade

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Dolph Schayes should probably be listed seeing as he was a 12 time all star and multiple season first and second team all NBAer not to mention 1st ballot Hofer but Im still going with Moncreif

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added him to the poll.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
I'm going with the guy Michael Jordan said was the toughest defender he ever faced. Remember: He stopped wearing the number 4 long before he turned into a shitty team executive half a decade ago.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
Jerry Sloan deserves some love...

Chauncey Billups deserves an honorable mention as well (though he didn't wear it during his best years).... Jim Paxson made a few all-star teams.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Dolph Schayes, followed by Adrian Dantley.

I was a fan of Chris Webber's, but I honestly cannot see how he is receiving the most votes.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Dolph gotta go with him

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
The voting on this poll emphasizes just how much fans discount defensive impact when compared with offensive impact.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
The voting on this poll emphasizes just how much fans discount defensive impact when compared with offensive impact.
I would say the poll reflects the demographics on this board. It's fair to say most of the people voting for Chris Webber remember seeing him play or he was the most recent player they remember wearing that number. A lot of them likely never saw or even heard of Dolph Schayes, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars or Sidney Moncrief.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Dolph played in a time where they player in an actual cage, got burned with cigarettes and had batteries thrown at them...

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Actually I would go with the opposite. Fans on this site clown on offensive only guys like melo, Antoine walker, jalen rose... Etc

Dantley wasn't a great defender. Joe was granted.

Dolph in his prime played a different game. Rules were different, jump shots were just invented... Danny was a better basketball player than him.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I would the poll reflects the demographics on this board. It's fair to say most of the people voting for Chris Webber remember seeing him play or he was the most recent player they remember wearing that number. A lot of them likely never saw or even heard of Dolph Schayes, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars or Sidney Moncrief.
Lol. Is the poster that claimed he watched Byron Scott, isiah Thomas and Clark Kellogg extensively as high school seniors also going to say he watched dolph play?

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
I would the poll reflects the demographics on this board. It's fair to say most of the people voting for Chris Webber remember seeing him play or he was the most recent player they remember wearing that number. A lot of them likely never saw or even heard of Dolph Schayes, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars or Sidney Moncrief.
This. I'm 28 but I never saw Dumars play so I would go with Webber, he also revolutionized the big man position. No big man was that skilled and could pass the ball as well as him back in the day.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Actually I would go with the opposite. Fans on this site clown on offensive only guys like melo, Antoine walker, jalen rose... Etc

Dantley wasn't a great defender. Joe was granted.

Dolph in his prime played a different game. Rules were different, jump shots were just invented... Danny was a better basketball player than him.
And one of the top 5 perimeter defenders of all time has completely been forgotten... even in your post.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Lol. Is the poster that claimed he watched Byron Scott, isiah Thomas and Clark Kellogg extensively as high school seniors also going to say he watched dolph play?
No, it's just that unlike you I know basketball history and I'm familiar with who Dolph Schayes is. The fact he was a late addition candidate says something in itself.

The bottom line is there are three members of the Basketball Hall of Fame on this list and another player who at his peak was arguably the best shooting guard in the NBA (Sidney Moncrief) and they are losing to Chris Webber. And given the age of the people generally posting on this board, among other things, it's very obvious that Webber is the only player for most people here would have some sort of frame of reference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts