Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: You are voting for which player was the best at the time they were wearing the number, NOT for their entire career (assuming they wore more than one number).

Bill Russell - Boston Celtics (57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69)
Julius Erving - Philadelphia 76ers (77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87)
LeBron James - Miami Heat (11, 12, 13)
Tyson Chandler - New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets (07), New Orleans Hornets (08, 09), Charlotte Bobcats (10), Dallas Mavericks (11), New York Knicks (12, 13)
Walter Davis - Phoenix Suns (78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88), Portland Trail Blazers (91), Denver Nuggets (89, 90, 91, 92)
Other (Please Specify)

00/0 - Robert Parish
1 - Tracy McGrady
2 - Moses Malone
3 - Dwyane Wade
4 - Chris Webber
5 - Jason Kidd

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This is basically a two-man race until LeBron James gets more years under his belt, IMO.

As much as I love Julius Erving and he's one of the greatest players in NBA history, he's going against a player who is actually greater than him in Bill Russell.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
About the only real question is why didn't LeBron James pick a number that more likely will be associated with him when his career ends. First he chooses a number associated with Michael Jordan, then he chooses a number associated with Bill Russell and Dr. J.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Russell is the 2nd best player of all time. Or in BS speak:

Russell is 2nd best of all time.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
You need to be named wilt or have at least 3 rings to be considered better than Russell.

About the only real question is why didn't LeBron James pick a number that more likely will be associated with him when his career ends. First he chooses a number associated with Michael Jordan, then he chooses a number associated with Bill Russell and Dr. J.
What's stupid is he claims he changed his number to pay homage to Jordan. And then said 23 should be retired league wide. Slap in the face to Russell.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Nike wanted him to wear 9 coming into the league, which still would've been a bit of an homage to Jordan while also being an awesome and unique number for an NBA superstar. He insisted on 23, though. No idea why he went with 6. I never got the feeling it had to do with Dr. J or Russell. He wore 9 and Wade wore 6 in the '04 Olympics, and then Wade asked him to switch for the '06 Worlds. I guess by the time he wanted to get off 23 he was already really comfortable with 6. Still kind of weird thinking of him as a 6. You kind of wish the best players stayed at one number, which was sort of immediately ruined by starting with 23.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Russell.

Dr J though was wow. LeBron choose the jersey of the two biggest legends of the NBA.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Dr. J is one of the NBA's two biggest legends?

Getting ahead on this one, but Shimmy has 8 locked up, right?
By virtue of nickname, style, flair... He's right there. He may not be one of the top 10 players of all time - but he may be one of the 10 greatest "legends" in terms of marketability. A lot of non-basketball fans have a better grasp of who "Doctor J" was than some top-10ers.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Sure, but top 2? Also, that's not qualifying him on the same terms as it is Russell, which made the pairing confuse me. Magic and Jordan obviously immediately kick him out. I think Bird is at least even with him there, too. But yeah, top 10 I'll buy.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Sure, but top 2? Also, that's not qualifying him on the same terms as it is Russell, which made the pairing confuse me. Magic and Jordan obviously immediately kick him out. I think Bird is at least even with him there, too. But yeah, top 10 I'll buy.
Q Rating with the general public - the casual fans that'll just buy a cool jersey, doesn't know a ton? Say Bill Russell and you have to explain who he is. Say Doctor J and his name will more often register.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Dr. J is one of the NBA's two biggest legends?

Getting ahead on this one, but Shimmy has 8 locked up, right?
I said Dr J was like wow.
But with reference to the two greatest legends I was obviously talking about Russell and Jordan. That's why i voted for him.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
What's stupid is he claims he changed his number to pay homage to Jordan. And then said 23 should be retired league wide. Slap in the face to Russell.
That's the first thing I thought when I first heard about him changing his number.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
By virtue of nickname, style, flair... He's right there. He may not be one of the top 10 players of all time - but he may be one of the 10 greatest "legends" in terms of marketability. A lot of non-basketball fans have a better grasp of who "Doctor J" was than some top-10ers.
In a lot of people's opinion, Julius Erving is among the top 20 players ever and possibly in the top 15. He's certainly ranks among the top five small forwards ever to play.

And as far as marketability and fan reaction -- Dr. J was essentially the marketing predecessor (and an influence on) Michael Jordan's style, along with David Thompson.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts