Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that now-a-days, your 4 and 5's tend to shoot the jumper more than they go into the post, and I was wondering who, aside from Shaq and Tim Duncan, are the best 'pure' post players in the NBA (if their are any more left)?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Amare Stoudemire is great pure post player, who can also get out and run.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Minstrel said:
Amare Stoudemire is great pure post player, who can also get out and run.
I don't think Amare is a pure post player, same with Shaq. I think of these two as power post players. When I think of pure post players I think of footwork, guys like Kevin McHale, The Dream and Tim Duncan. Guys that could beat you even if they had no athletic ability at all, which is almost the case with McHale (his amazingly long arms covered up his lack of athleticism.)
There are no players other than Duncan that come immediately to mind in today's NBA. After thinking about it these are the only players I feel have I good post game (I most likely missed a few):
Jermaine O'Neal, Yao Ming sort of, Kevin Garnett, occasionally Zach Randolph but not much this year if any at all, Pau Gasol and Rasheed Wallace when he is not in love with the 3 ball.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Chris Bosh can be considered as a good post player, of course not the best right now, but the guy can really beat defenders off the dribble at post area, sort of like an immature version of Kevin Garnett

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I expected Bonzi Wells to become a pure post player. He showed some scary stuff against the Lakers a few years ago in Portland. Guess he cant do that in Memphis' run and gun offense.

Sheed is still a dominating post up player. no player can match his length.

Kobe has a few postup moves but he has 3 point mentality now.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
BlazersBlazersBlazers said:
I don't think Amare is a pure post player, same with Shaq. I think of these two as power post players. When I think of pure post players I think of footwork, guys like Kevin McHale, The Dream and Tim Duncan. Guys that could beat you even if they had no athletic ability at all, which is almost the case with McHale (his amazingly long arms covered up his lack of athleticism.)
Ah. By pure post player, I thought the thread-starter meant a classic post-up big man, rather than a big man who is versatile and/or does a significant amount of his scoring on jumpers/drives. O'Neal and Stoudemire both make their living in the paint and attack the post ferociously.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think Bird had some nifty moves and zero athletic ability. I know he is known for his outside shot, but he could work the low block.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Elton Brand is very crafty in the post. He never really plays that far away from the basket.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Pau Gasol: Good arsenal of moves, uses advantage of his zebra like arms to shoot that baby hook, runner's from left to right, turn arounds. Good feetwork, mobility for someone his size.

Jermaine O'Neal: Always does the same move, posts up in the right block, fakes left, spins to the right or shoots a fadeway sort of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts