Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that Dayton and Xavier has been the league’s best ongoing rivalry, but now they are going to have some competition, especially with X not as dominant as usual.

Games I am most excited to see are … Richmond vs. VCU. Trash talking between fans of the two Richmond schools is already hot. This pairing has the potential to take a place besides X and Dayton – if the Spiders can rival the VCU home crowds.

No 2 on the list is Butler vs. St. Louis, who play twice this year. Not sure if this will be a great long-term rivalry, but it will be for the next year or two. The two further schools west. Darn shame RM is not coaching. Majerus vs Stevens … darn.

Longer term, Butler and Xavier stand to have a great rivalry. These two teams have played enough recently that things are kind of hot being the two schools.

No 3 on the list is Butler and VCU. These teams will always be linked because of the Final 4 and this game WILL get national attention.

The Philly teams are all good this year – and I bet SJU and LaSalle would love to give Temple a kick out the A-10 door!

I actually am looking more toward the SJU-LaSalle matchup than to either school’s game with the Owls. That’s No. 4 on my list. I just wish the league had paired these two schools together this year to feature the two remaining Philly teams (after this year).

Dayton and SLU have a long history and these games are almost always tight. There’s No. 5. (BTW, smart to see the league paired Temple and Charlotte as home and homes in their last season in the A-10

In the future, GW and VCU have good rivalry potential. UMass and Rhody take a hiatus for a year until Hurley gets URI back up to speed. That’s going to happen fast.

Rhody-Bona loses allure with Baron’s firing, but if Fordham ever gets good the two New York teams will naturally be compared.

Duquesne is the one team that doesn’t seem to have a natural rival, at least not since the school has been in the A-10. I’d be curious to know which team Dukes fans view as their nearest rival.

One rivalry that will be lost is GW-Charlotte. This one flew under most people's radar, but these two teams have had some fierce battles going back to the last years of Charlotte's time in the old C-USA. Temple and UMass will no longer be an item, but that rivalry faded years ago.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Duquesne has been paired with St. Bonaventure for some time. The games are always hotly contested, but since our fans are the nicest and well mannered in the conference the rivalry between fan bases isn't all that exciting. Just my opinion. This is a pretty natural rivalry.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
The Bonnies and Dukes have played quite a few times over the years. The two have probably matched up more than most A10 rivals.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Rhody vs. Zoomass-Amherst.

A nice little New England rivalry with an A10 spin.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
Duquesne has been paired with St. Bonaventure for some time. The games are always hotly contested, but since our fans are the nicest and well mannered in the conference the rivalry between fan bases isn't all that exciting. Just my opinion. This is a pretty natural rivalry.
This is what I'm talking about. Two lower tier teams that don't matter, this is irrelevant. This is not a quality rivalry, if even a rivalry at all.

However, it seems the UMass-Duquesne rivalry is heating up. ;)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Rhody vs. Zoomass-Amherst.

A nice little New England rivalry with an A10 spin.
WTF with the hyphen. We are the flagship in the university system. There is no hyphen period. Charlotte doesn't like to be UNC-Charlotte and they are not even the flagship campus.

Call us UMass, call us Massachusetts. I don't like Zoomass and we are no longer a top party school and don't ever give us the hyphen Amherst crap.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Philly teams are all good this year – and I bet SJU and LaSalle would love to give Temple a kick out the A-10 door!

I actually am looking more toward the SJU-LaSalle matchup than to either school’s game with the Owls. That’s No. 4 on my list. I just wish the league had paired these two schools together this year to feature the two remaining Philly teams (after this year).

Temple will continue to play St Joe's and LaSalle as part of the Big 5 city series.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
WTF with the hyphen. We are the flagship in the university system. There is no hyphen period. Charlotte doesn't like to be UNC-Charlotte and they are not even the flagship campus.

Call us UMass, call us Massachusetts. I don't like Zoomass and we are no longer a top party school and don't ever give us the hyphen Amherst crap.
Calm down Steve81.

I dont like the Amherst either. But, Zoomass is fine by me. Face it, we are a quality party school. Not something to be ashamed of, I embrace it completely.

Also, to UD40: The proper term is Zoomass-Slamherst. :)

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I don't think Dayton and SLU even remotely have a rivalry. History, sure. But rivalry? Seems like a big stretch.

The true test of a rivalry isn't what happens when both sides are really good, it's what happens when one or both are down. Dayton and Xavier could both be 7 win teams and both games would still sell out with raucous crowds.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I don't think Dayton and SLU even remotely have a rivalry. History, sure. But rivalry? Seems like a big stretch.

The true test of a rivalry isn't what happens when both sides are really good, it's what happens when one or both are down. Dayton and Xavier could both be 7 win teams and both games would still sell out with raucous crowds.
You know what? I pretty much agree with that completely. Except I can't really think of any better rivalry in the A10 to replace it on the list. I do dread playing Saint Louis and despise losing to them, so that's something.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
uri and umass is a decent rivalry, based on proximity alone

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
UR has taken a back seat to ODU over the last several years. At one time the rivalry was extremely strong. I think it will get back to a similar level. The level of play is strong at both programs with 2 of the great young coaches in the game at each school.

I think a lot of UR fans dislike VCU and our fans. I know a lot of older VCU fans dislike Richmond and their fans as well. Younger fans don't have the same affinity for the rivalry since we haven't played in the same conference in several years and VCU has won the majority of the match-ups since then. That is quickly changing however and I think that it will end up being one of the best rivalries the conference has to offer.

You can measure your greatness by the might of your enemy, and if Chris Mooney is the man leading the guys on the opposite sideline, you have to feel pretty good about what it says about VCU that UR is considered our rival. I look forward to watching the rivalry grow. It is great for our city and great for A-10 basketball.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
uri and umass is a decent rivalry, based on proximity alone
How do the fans feel? That seems like the most important thing in defining what a good rivalry is. I live in mortal fear of URI, personally. No matter how terrible they appear to be, the chances of them beating Dayton (preferably in a heartbreaking fashion) seem astoundingly high.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
This is what I'm talking about. Two lower tier teams that don't matter, this is irrelevant. This is not a quality rivalry, if even a rivalry at all.

However, it seems the UMass-Duquesne rivalry is heating up. ;)
This guy takes the idea of the "troll" to new depths. He doesn't even produce hilariously massive posts outlining his rival's (so, would that be the rival of UMass or Northeastern or some other New England program he's adopted?) recruiting history. Also, z8, one of those "lower tier teams" has been dancing twice since *one* of your squads has provided the A-10 with an NCAA unit. Heavens, though, we should all accept you as the voice of all UMass fans... after all, you made it to all of three games last season.

What a die hard.

Now, tell us all about your origins as a Dallas Cowboys fan. Let me guess: you were a big Michael Jordan fan as a kid, too? Pathetic.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Bonnies and Dukes have played quite a few times over the years. The two have probably matched up more than most A10 rivals.
108 times after this season to be exact. That's more than we've played anyone including Pitt. In general it's not heated and the fans are pretty respectful. I probably cheer for the Bonnies more than I would any other team in the conference when the Dukes are out. That will probably change as the two teams play more meaningful games against one another, but for now it's a unique "cold" but real rivalry.

I was having a lot of fun with the Dayton home and away, but I'm not holding my breath for that to come back next year. There is a surprising amount of history between those two teams, but it had to get more intense to become a true rivalry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
This guy takes the idea of the "troll" to new depths. He doesn't even produce hilariously massive posts outlining his rival's (so, would that be the rival of UMass or Northeastern or some other New England program he's adopted?) recruiting history. Also, z8, one of those "lower tier teams" has been dancing twice since *one* of your squads has provided the A-10 with an NCAA unit. Heavens, though, we should all accept you as the voice of all UMass fans... after all, you made it to all of three games last season.

What a die hard.

Now, tell us all about your origins as a Dallas Cowboys fan. Let me guess: you were a big Michael Jordan fan as a kid, too? Pathetic.
One of those "lower tier" teams has finished ahead of Umass three of the last four years. Funny how those same lower tier teams combined for two top 4 regular season finishes in as many years and two conference final appearances in the last four season. And one of them is the league champion.

I'm new to posting. Is their an ignore feature on this board?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
One of those "lower tier" teams has finished ahead of Umass three of the last four years. Funny how those same lower tier teams combined for two top 4 regular season finishes in as many years and two conference final appearances in the last four season. And one of them is the league champion.

I'm new to posting. Is their an ignore feature on this board?
Sure is! Just click on the user name, view their profile, and there is a link there to set them to be ignored. Use it early, use it often. Or just enjoy the lack of critical thinking and outright trollery.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The worst thing about Z8 is that I really really like Umass. I had season tix with my Dad for years during the 90s! He actually makes me kind of dislike Umass now lol!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
The longest running conference rivalry in terms of games played:
Dayton and Xavier have met 158 times dating back to 1920

In a soon to be ending conference rivalry:
Temple and St. Joe's have met 152 times since 1911.

In a continuing conference rivalry that may be the oldest in terms of first game played:
URI and UMass have met in 138 games dating back to 1908.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts