Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Best role player on a championship team of all time is...

• Danny Ainge(Celtics)

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Michael Cooper(Lakers)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dennis Rodman(Pistons and Bulls)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Robert Horry(Rockets and Lakers)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.7%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By role players i don't mean guyz like Parish or Worthy who were more then just role players for their respective teams.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
Calling Scottie a role player is like calling Kobe a role player.
Yep, that about sums it up.

Both were/are.

What else would you call players who ride the coat-tails of the best player in the league at the time...?

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Scottie Pippen is no role player. Is he as good as MJ like some people thought? No! But he was easily a top 10 player in the league in his prime. Look at how well he did without MJ. He didn't lead his team to the finals but he came damn close against an excellent Knicks team. Kobe may be even less of a role player. I actually think he's more skilled than Pippen.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Dennis, Danny were starters and not the standard "role players" who usually come off the bench and provide either offense or defense or sometimes both! ONLY Horry & Coop (especially as Silk was still there in the early to mid 80s) on your list haven't been starters and actually more of a "role player".

You'll have to come up with some more real "role players" for your poll. Sam Cassell was one for the Rockets - he came off the bench as a role player! Bill Walton came off the bench for the Celtics, as did Havlicek, for years on the Celtics. Bob McAdoo also came off the bench and was a role player for the Lakers. Rick Mahorn came off the bench for the Pistons and was definitely a role player.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Of the players listed in the poll I would have to go with Rodman, but I don't really think of him as a role player. He was a star in his own right, albeit a very, very unconventional one.

I would go instead for a couple names who aren't on the list, Bill Walton of the '86 Celtics, and Vinnie Johnson of the Pistons.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Tonic Kukoc was more of a role player

Also, what about Steve Kerr. Another guy for Detroit, microwave. Or Micheal Cooper for the Lakers. Kurt rambis was pretty good role player.

But the best role player ever was :gbanana:

My best pick is Steve Kerr, the best shooter in the world and been in the league for centuries.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
Dennis, Danny were starters and not the standard "role players" who usually come off the bench and provide either offense or defense or sometimes both! ONLY Horry & Coop (especially as Silk was still there in the early to mid 80s) on your list haven't been starters and actually more of a "role player".

You'll have to come up with some more real "role players" for your poll. Sam Cassell was one for the Rockets - he came off the bench as a role player! Bill Walton came off the bench for the Celtics, as did Havlicek, for years on the Celtics. Bob McAdoo also came off the bench and was a role player for the Lakers. Rick Mahorn came off the bench for the Pistons and was definitely a role player.
Exactly...by definintion, a "role player" does not have a huge impact on a team. That's what a role player is; a player who isn't a major option. So, really what is being asked is..."Who was the most significant insignificant player on a championship team?"

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just tell me that Kobe is strictly a role player when he is the one who initiates the offense, like Pippen did, draws the toughest defensive assignments, like Pippen did, and is STILL Top 5 in the league in scoring???

Kobe is much LESS of a coattail rider than anyone gives him credit for being, and I think that he relishes the challenge of proving this point at the beginning of this season with Shaq still recovering.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
I think the great role players are crucial to a champions sucess and aren't as dispensible as people may think, Horry in LA is critical for the Lakers ,he understands how to play in the pressure of the big moments and knows what to do and where to be, if I had to take a choice between players to play the fourth quarter of a crucial game between C Webb or Horry I'd take Horry for just that 4th quarter, Granted Webber is a WAY better player but with pressure for money I'd take Horry. The value of role players is not insignificant as said above, role players just when they go to other teams don't have the same value because really good role players fit well in particular systems and aren't valuable in others , Mario Elie was an example of this, put him with a dominant big man and he was one hell of an asset, otherwise he wasn't really all that valuable, so Horry to me is the choice hands down.

Pippen or Kobe are not role players,and its ridiculous to suggest that,their contributions are essential to the success of the championship teams they played for, MJ and Shaq are great players but they go hand in hand doing the heavy lifting for a championship team with Pippen and Kobe, especially Kobe who makes most of the big plays for the Lakers, without Scottie or Kobe there would be no rings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts