Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1)Demitrius Conger, Bonaventure.

Conger (12 ppg, 50% FG, 36% 3PG, 80% FT, 6.2 RPG, 74 assists, 24 blocks) is perhaps the most versatile forward in the league. He’s not great at anything but does everything pretty well. He’s also the team’s best returning defender.

2)Raphiael Putney, Massachusetts

Skinny Minutemen forward has often been compared to Tayshaun Prince because of his body type. He came on strong as a redshirt sophomore (10 ppg, 37% 3PG, 6 RPG, 45 assists, 51 blocks) and showed flashes of tremendous potential. Long and athletic, he can shoot over most players or drive by bigger defenders. He is a matchup nightmare who hasn’t come close to realizing his star potential.

3)Halil Kanocevic, St. Joseph’s

Hofstra transfer is another all-round good player who’s a topnotch rebounder (8.3 RPG) and passer (led team with 125 assists). He didn’t shoot especially well outside (24% 3PG) or score a ton (8.3 PPG), perhaps because of a one-year layoff, and he does turn the ball over too much. Yet his addition was big reason why the Hawks won 20 games.

4) Scootie Randall, Temple

Randall was poised to be one of the best players in the league before an injury cost him his junior season. If healthy, he’ll be one of the league’s most dangerous perimeter shooters and he can take the ball to the rim, too. Smart and crafty, an above-average athlete and a hard worker, Randall is expected to be one of the team’s two leaders in Temple’s final season in the A-10.

5)Khyle Marshall, Butler

Marshall is easily the weakest shooter of the bunch (1-6 on treys), but he finds away to score around the basket (10 ppg, 55% FG). He is a classic lunch-bucket guy who rebounds and defends several positions and does whatever else his team needs to win.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Interesting that you list Halil as a small forward. He played Center for most of the year with Darrius Quarles at the 3 and CJ Aikin at the 4. Martelli did use him up top quite a bit as a "point-center" to distribute the ball but I'm not sure I would consider him a small forward.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Putney is a freak talent. I think he probably has the highest ceiling of these guys, but I agree with Bill Russell. Conger and Scootie are poised for excellent years.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting that you list Halil as a small forward. He played Center for most of the year with Darrius Quarles at the 3 and CJ Aikin at the 4. Martelli did use him up top quite a bit as a "point-center" to distribute the ball but I'm not sure I would consider him a small forward.
I had a hard time, AH, figuring out who was SJU’s real small forward among CJ Aiken, Ron Roberts and Kanocevic.

Roberts, the smallest of the trio, is the most effective at scoring inside.
Aiken is a wing on offense, effectively, but a center on defense.

Kanocevic was both inside and out, like a traditional small forward, and his ball handling and passing marks him as a nonpower player. That’s why I decided to list him as a small forward.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Conger is poised for a very big year.
I am a big fan of Conger. I think he might be the most underrated player in the A-10. He's among the many reasons I think SBU is poised to have a bigger year than most fans on this board expect.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I love Conger but it will be interesting to see if he can be the go to guy. A lot of nights I'd look up and realize he had fifteen points. He always seemed to be very clutch, coming up with big rebounds or hitting the corner three at the end if a game...especially at the end if the season. I never really noticed his defense but maybe that's how you know it's good.

Edit: how upset is zizzy going to be that a UMass guy wasn't #1?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Conger's ability to become "the man" will be the key to SBU's success. We can't have him plateau at 12 ppg and 6 rpg. He has the capability of moving into that 16 points, 8 rebounds type of talent on the wing. One of his best attributes is his ability to rebound and attack among the trees. He will almost surely be the major beneficiary of Schmidt's plan to spread the floor and run more this season (Kloof will be another), but we'll have to let it all unfold.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Evans was 6 or 7 when I drew up my list. His offensive game kept him off. Four of the guys on my list are much better outside shooters and Marshall is far more proficient inside.

Evans is a superb defender, boards well and is a classic glue guy. I'd like to see him broaden his offensive game and take more a lead in scoring. He does have the capability.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Bona's will need a huge year from Conger to be successful this year. Obviously, everyone needs to step up as no one guy will replace Nicholson, but Conger needs to provide the it factor. Nicholson had it big time as it seemed (especially at the end of the year) that if the game was close with a minute or two to go, Nicholson was going to win it and nothing else mattered.

I feel like a broken record drawing parallels between this years Bonnies and last year's La Salle squad, but Pettis stepped up last season and provided that it-factor at the end of the game. It didn't matter if Galloway scored 25 in the first 38 minutes, or if Duren was killing the opposing point, or if Mills was drilling 3s all night, when the game was on the line, Pettis took the ball and was going to win the game. Conger needs to provide that, and I think he can after seeing some of his end of season performances last year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a big fan of Conger. I think he might be the most underrated player in the A-10. He's among the many reasons I think SBU is poised to have a bigger year than most fans on this board expect.
Conger was right there with Andrew last year during the OOC. He had some bad games, but he outscoured Andrew against Sienna(15pts), VTech(23pts!), Loyola(20pts), NCState(16pts), Niagra(27pts!). Speaking of Niagra, Conger absolutely SAVED the Bonnies from a horrendous loss. The loss to NC state was still fresh in mind and a loss to Niagra would have had people running for their nooses. If I remember correctly, Conger was the only one to keep the team in the game down the stretch.

During the conference season Conger stepped down a bit (because of Andrew)but he was still the most consistent player on the team. His back to back 3s gave us a chance against Florida St at the end of the game.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the purposes of my list, Marshall is a three. Typical college combo forward who often plays out of position.

Pepper is built like a tank but he likes to shoot the trey, so I guess he is a 3. In Dunphy's system, I am not sure it matters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kanacevic is not a small forward. There's nothing small about him or his game. He and Ron Roberts are both power forwards. Both are among the top five power forwards in the league.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the purposes of my list, Kanocevic is a small forward. Guy who passes and handles the ball like he does, and who wants to be a 3-point shooter too (though not a very good one), qualifies. He's really a combo forward like so many guys in college.

·
Registered
6 Posts
He's 6-8, 256. He attempted 41 threes last year - a little over one per game. And he can pass well so that must mean he's a small forward? I guess Arvydas Sabonis was a small forward then at 7-3, 300 because he could really pass it. Even if I give you that he's a small forward on offense (which I do NOT) he will literally NEVER guard an opposing three (at least not on purpose unless he gets caught in a switch.) CJ Aiken is more of a small forward than HK on offense. But you put him on the center list because he blocks shots (though he doesn't rebound well.) I understand the "for the purposes of my list" argument, but the SJU front court doesn't really fit.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
For the purposes of my list, Marshall is a three. Typical college combo forward who often plays out of position.

Pepper is built like a tank but he likes to shoot the trey, so I guess he is a 3. In Dunphy's system, I am not sure it matters.
Not out of position. He's a really quick leaper and plays his best against against bigger post players. He will play all his minutes at the 4, he'd be a 4 in a higher level conference, and is definitely a natural 4 at the a-10 level.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'd be looking forward to seeing Conger play this season, after reading this thread. But I won't be driving to Olean so I guess it will be streaming video at best.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts