Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here my take on the best team thusfar selected on base of a 4-4-2 formation and all the teams and players participated in the WC

Goal:

Kahn (Germany): I don't think that this needs any explanation

Defense (from left to right):

Maldini (Italy): Well, the only reason he's on this squad is because there aren't toplevel leftbacks anymore. People will say Roberto Carlos, but I think this guy is so overrated! It's too bad for guys like Helveg that they are all rightbacks and that Cafu played so well this tournament!

Sol Campbell (England): Very strong, good header and an above average passer (for a central defender). No doubt about him being one of the foundations of this England squad.

Helguera (Spain): My favorite central defender. This guy can do almost everything!

Cafu (Brasil): Well, what do I have to say about Cafu what isn't said about him by a lot of so called experts. I think the best rightback of the world and he's still proving this point! I like his style.

Midfield (from left to right):

Duff (Ireland): I know he's a forward, but he can also play from the left midfield position, because of his speed and passing. He's young and exciting. The best player of a suprising Ireland squad. Maybe the successor of Owen at Liverpool, if Owen leaves?

Ballack (Germany): Again a young player, but also with excellent technique, vision and passing skills. This is the man where it's all about in the German team. The successor of Effenberg at Bayern!

O'Brien (United States): Because a lot of topmidfielders didn't play very well and were very quick out of the tourney, developed O'Brien himself as one of the engines of, again, a suprising USA team. I hope that he can show his skills at the central midfield position in the Dutch league.

A.Svensson (Sweden): Nice passer and his vision is also excellent. He also got a nice freekick. A complete package and again like O'Brien in this team, because big names like Veron and Aimar etc. disappointed.

Forwards:

Diouf (Senegal): A very versatile forward. He has got good soccer vision (I don't know the correct word) and that's already something special for an African player, who most of the time thrive on technique than on tactics. He has both, very special player.

Vieri (Italy): This one was very hard, cuz there were more players who could make it next to Diouf, but Vieri is remarkable strength and the quality that he could even do something special with all those mediocre passings of his teammates, deserves a lot of respect. Without Vieri the Italians wouldn't even had made it to the second round! He always demanded attention of two defenders and that's something his teammates made thankful use of!

As you can read, the big names aren't really in this team, and mainly that's because of all the upsets. No Figo, Zidane or Beckham nor Veron, Crespo or Raul. Strange WC.....

Please guys let your opinions be known!

mzzls,

The Big Easy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that's a suprise and I mean it. Have you seen any games of France this WC? He played like one and a half game in which he got a red card and he was virtually invisible the first game against Senegal.

I really doubted to take Vieri, but when I compare both performance of Henry and Vieri than Vieri stand far above Henry (I only took the performances in this WC in account!)

Thank you for your reply!

mzzls,

The Big Easy

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by TheBigEasy
Wow that's a suprise and I mean it. Have you seen any games of France this WC? He played like one and a half game in which he got a red card and he was virtually invisible the first game against Senegal.

I really doubted to take Vieri, but when I compare both performance of Henry and Vieri than Vieri stand far above Henry (I only took the performances in this WC in account!)

Thank you for your reply!

mzzls,

The Big Easy

Oh, I didn't know you were basing your team on the way the players have played in the WC. I just thought you were creating a team of the best players that participated in the WC. Sorry for the confusion.

I still think Henry is better than Vieri, but France was just too cocky coming into the WC...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't matter. BTW if it was the case that I had made a team just on the best players overall who participated in this WC than a lot of those players that I mentioned wouldn't even made the team.

It would be something like this:

Goal:

Kahn

Defense:

Candela
Desailly
Helguera
Cafu

Midfield:

Viera
Zidane
Ballack
Figo

Attack:

Vieri
Crespo or Batigol

when I compare this with my previous team than it differs like six players.

mzzls,

The Big Easy

·
Registered
388 Posts
OK lemme tell you this is from left to right in a normal 4-4-2 formation.

Goalkeeper - Brad Friedal (USA), Kahn is better but hasn't saved that many penaltys right?

Defense - Roberto Carlos (Brazil), Rio Ferdinand (England), Paolo Cannavaro (Italy), Ferdinand Coly (Senegal)

Midfeild - De Pedro (Spain), Svensson (Sweeden), Ronaldinho Gaucho (Brazil), Zambrotta (Italy)

Attack - Rivaldo (Brazil), Ronaldo (Brazil)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're a Brasil-fan, aren't you? Because no way Ronaldo and Rivaldo should start, considering their performances. Rivaldo disappeared for a great deal of times in games and was once in a while the worst player on the Brasilian squad. Ronaldo scored, but that was it.

And don't get me started on that arrogant ***** of a Roberto Carlos. Man, this guy plays a great deal below his normal level and I am already not that high on him as a defender. In my terms a defender needs to defend, well Carlos has a lot of other skills, but I think he's a very poor man-to-mandefender. he only makes up his errors, because of his speed not because he knows how to position best.

On Ronaldinho you're more than right and it's my bad that I didn't include him on my list, because he's one of the two (the other is Cafu) outstanding players on this mediocre Brasilian squad.

I think that for all other players something could be said. I am very suprised that you also mentioned A.Svensson. I am not the only one who noticed his skills, cuz a lot of friends of mine, who also watching the WC intensively, don't know the guy.

I think that a matchup between your team and mine could be a thriller!

mzzls,

The Big Easy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts