Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you think are the best players from the US currently playing in Europe ?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
To me the best is Anthony Parker.. with the second that comes third..
He is absolutely fantastic.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Lonny Baxter in Greece

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
DwyaneWade4MVP said:
Lonny Baxter in Greece
He is having foul trouble..anyway in the few minutes he plays he is promosing... For sure will be a nice player in Europe,but far from Parker's greatness

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
white360 said:
never really heard of any real good players in europe
So you should clean your ears and open your eyes :wink:

All agree on #1 american here in Europe. Its Anthony Parker in Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Marcus Brown in CSKA Moscow is also very good. Tanoka Beard in Zalgiris Kaunas is probably the most dominant post player in Euroleague.

David Vanterpool and Bootsy Thornton are good pair of americans in Montepaschi Siena. Another italian team Scavolini Pesaro has the best scorer of Euroleague regular season - Charles Smith.

Charlie Bell is rocking in ACB, but his team didnt play in European competitions, so its harder to judge on him.

Mentioned Lonny Baxter arrived to Panathinaikos Athens only in mid-season. Maybe that or deep bench dont allow to call him top10 american here. Another Panathinaikos player Mike Batiste I think is borderline top10 american player.

Robert Pack in Zalgiris helps with scoring, but hurts with poor decision making and clutch turnovers.

Also players to mention Lous Bullock (Real Madrid), Ed Cota (Dynamo St.Peterburg), Antonio Granger (CSKA Moscow), Scoonie Penn (Scavolini Pesaro), Will Solomon (Efes Pilsen Istannbul), Henry Domercant (Efes Pilsen Istannbul), Chris Williams (Skyliners Frankfurt), Rouben Douglas (Climamio Bologna).

I probably forgot some good players. Also I dont know much about players in italian and spanish teams, which dont play in Euroleague, but those teams usually have 2 americans in their rosters, so they might be good. Like Lou Roe in CSF Sevillia, but I havent seen him playing, so better some insider should tell about those players.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Unfortunately I cannot pay TV for watching to many Euroleague games but I have watched many from the Spanish ACB.

The best player is Anthony Parker from Maccabi, I don't know why he is not in the NBA. Brown from CSKA is good as well. I don't like Tanoka

From Spain there are two players that could easily jump, Charlie Bell and Louis Bullock. For many reasons I don't see Lou Roe in the NBA, age questions apart. But Bell is really good, an explosive scorer and he has proved that in Italy and Spain and I think that also in the NCAA

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best I know is the ACB league (Spain). There are a lot of good players, but above of all is Charlie Bell. I don't understand why he isn't in the NBA. Maybe because is a small player but I think that he's going to play there next year. He does all, sometimes is unstopable.

Another great player is Lou Roe. He's incredible strong, fast and decisive. I think that the NBA hasn't done justice with him. He deserves to stay there.

Later there are good players like Louis Bullock and Elmer Bennett in the ACB.

In Europe, Marcus Goree, Charles Smith, Henry Domercant, Mire Chatman, Trajan Langdom... there are a lot of good players, but above of all there are two men: Marcus Brown and Anthony Parker. Both of them are really unstopable, and it isn't nice to playing against them.

About Tanoka Beard I have to say that for me isn't a top player in Europe. He played for Joventut Badalona a few years ago, and instead he was a good player and dominated a lot of games, today is going down.

P.S.: Maybe Maceo Baston (Maccabi player) would play in the NBA next year.

Bye, Agur (in Basque). Nice to talk with you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Is Preston Shumpert in Europe? Also, where would you say these players rank in overall in their respective leagues? Top 5 players? Top 10?

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://195.70.37.251/player/?id=SHU-PRE-79

He is playing right now in Italy (Lega). How you can see in his numbers is playing enough well. I didn't know that he was born in Peru!

Instead Elmer Bennett all of I mentiond before are top 5 players in his leagues. Two years ago Bennett also was a top 5 player, but he has got injuries so his playing level is going down year by year.

Sorry, my English level sucks! :biggrin: :whatever:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Anthony Parker
Marcus Brown
Charlie Bell
David Vanterpool
Will Solomon

These 5 guys could play in the NBA.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hustle said:
Man the Bulls could really use a guy like Parker I wonder why he isn't in the league?
Maybe because he gets special treatment here :biggrin:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to be serious, check this thread, in which it was already discussed about him. Also the interview below tells much.

"I think the NBA is not a focus or goal of mine anymore. I'd be lying if I said I want to show or prove that I can play at the NBA level. For me, that's not a priority anymore. My priorities are thinking about my family, our financial situation and what's best for them. If something really big came from the NBA, I wouldn't be a fool and pass it up, but I don't see it happening."

·
Registered
515 Posts
Supposedly the US is going to send the best Americans playing in Europe to a qualification tournament this summer in the Dominican Rupublic that determine's which countries from the "Americas" get to play in the the 2006 World Championship's next year in Japan. The top four nations will make the cut.

The US isn't sending NBA players because it costs too much. (?)

So, a question to all the poster's who watch European basketball: which 12 Americans would you put on such a team? (starters/7 bench)

Perhaps stating your selected teams strengths and weaknesses would be good too.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't know about the whole team, but if it doesn't contain Anthony Parker, Marcus Brown, and Tanoka Beard then the team isn't made up of the better players in Europe.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Zalgirinis said:
Chris Williams (Skyliners Frankfurt)
Is Chris Williams a power forward, low post type player?

If so, he is probably the same guy that dominated the Australian NBL and won MVP and lead his team to the Championship 3 years ago. Simply a great player, who used his smarts to overcome a relative lack of athleticism and master his opponents. A nice array of post moves and tenacious defense. Simple yet very potent.

One of the top 5-10 to ever play in the Australian league. And, that's with only 1 year of play.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes, its the same Chris Williams. His profile.

So, a question to all the poster's who watch European basketball: which 12 Americans would you put on such a team?
As your question stands "would you put", I can say my opinion, but Im sure that Tanoka Beard wouldnt care playing for such team and would choose summer rest in states. Probably some of other players would do the same.

Ed Cota, Louis Bullock
Marcus Brown, Charlie Bell, David Vanterpool
Anthony Parker, Charles Smith
Marcus Goree, Mario Austin, Lou Roe
Tanoka Beard, Maceo Baston

Cota and Beard were superb tandem playing 1+1/2 season for Zalgiris. Add Parker, Brown and Bell and I think this team would win the qualification tournament with good coach. But I doubt to see half of these players in the original NT for their various reasons.

Goree, Baston and Austin are players which I forgot to mention in my first post. Also Mire Chatman (Pau Orthez) and Terrell Lyday (Asvel) are two normal PGs in two french Euroleague teams.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
If I had a job in USA Basketball I wouldn't call Roe...he's a great player but he loses everywhere :biggrin:

I'd pick:

PG: Ed Cota, Will Solomon, Mire Chatman/Elmer Bennett...I don't know
SG: Marcus Brown, Charlie Bell
SF: Anthony Parker, David Vanterpool
PF: Maceo Baston, Lou Roe, Marcus Goree
C: Tanoka Beard, Kevin Thompson

Other candidates would be Charles Smith, Chris Williams, Louis Bullock, JR Bremer, Michael Wright, Tom Wideman or Terrell Myers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts