Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, they just cruised through the first half and turned it on when they had to. They didn't even play that well and the Heat have been on fire lately, and the Pistons won by double digits after being down 8 at halftime. They did that last year against Miami too. They are so much better than anyone else, and if they're focused, they're going to just bully their way into the finals without any problem. Book it.

Spurs are the only team good enough to beat them in a 7 game series, but with Tim Duncan's health, I don't even know about that anymore.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I nearly fell to the floor laughing after they got called for the foul on the Shaq block and EVERY single Piston player started jumping around hysterically. My God, I have never seen a team so obsessed with officiating.

But yes, they dominated the second half with some D-troit basketball. Wade took some uncharacteristically bad shots(like the 3 off the pick) and Detroit executed on the other end. I've been saying it for a while, Detroit CAN turn it on and they always coast through the regular seasons. They will be a freight train in the playoffs.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
wait, so when the Pistons played bad it in the first half it was their own fault and when the heat played bad in the second half it was because of the Pistons?

what am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The Pistons weren't shooting well, so they had to limit the Heats points so they could have more points than them and win the game. Thus they played tighter D to limit them to like 25 points in the second half.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Like A Breath said:
But yes, they dominated the second half with some D-troit basketball. Wade took some uncharacteristically bad shots(like the 3 off the pick) and Detroit executed on the other end. I've been saying it for a while, Detroit CAN turn it on and they always coast through the regular seasons. They will be a freight train in the playoffs.
they always coast through the regular season? since when?

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Their defense is really really good. And they are getting it from guys they didn't used to get it from. Rip Hamilton was fantastic on Dwyane Wade. His defense has improved so much this year. He played most of the third quarter on Wade with 3 fouls and was still able to be very aggressive with him without biting on the pump fakes.

The offensive end is where they are going to have to stay focussed. They have good 3 point shooters and with Chauncey and Sheed running the high pick and roll they can a good look out there on any possession, but they have to be carefull not to fall in love with it. They really hurt themselves in the first half with shot selection, most of their possessions the ball never even got below the free throw line. When they are taking their time, running their sets, and making sure to get Tayshaun the ball on the block every once in awhile, their offense can be very efficient.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wade has to play better than this to win against Pistons. Book it.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Yeah, Wade got shut down by good defense but he DID play four games in five nights. He was pretty fatigued and the Pistons defense was good.

And it's not the Pistons getting bored, it's more of Alonzo Mourning going down, booooooo.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Like A Breath said:
The Pistons won 54 games the last two years, a good but not spectacular record. Last year in particular they ratcheted their game up as soon as the playoffs started and took care of business.
two years ago they got rasheed wallace at the trading deadline. they didn't coast, that's just how good they were. last season they may have coasted a little, but they made sure they tried hard enough to win the east. this season they may have coasted a little recently, but they sure weren't coasting when they were on pace for 70 wins. they may beginning to get into the habit of coasting at times in the regular season, but it isn't something they always do.

·
Registered
656 Posts
arenas809 said:
Detroit will be the NBA's Indianapolis Colts...

In the words of every Raptor fan, "book it".

That's a tough statement to take seriously when you're talking about a team that won the championship 2 years ago and took the finals to a 7th game last year in a game that wasn't decided until the last possession. I think they've proven quite a bit more than the Colts...

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Oh please. Neither team played well, but Pistons' energy and home crowd in the end paid off. Miami was playing its 4th game in 5 nights and it showed in the 2nd half, and not to forget they lost their biggest energy source early 2nd qtr. Mourning is Miami's 3rd most important player. I would love to see how the Pistons fair if they lose one of the two Wallaces early in the game.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
23isback said:
Even when the heat was up by 12....I knew Detroit was going to win.
Me too. Pistons know they're better than everyone else by now. When they're playing with urgency, like at the beginning of the year when they felt they had something to prove after losing in the finals, they can't lose. The Spurs are the only team to beat them in a 7 game series since Rasheed was acquired, so it's not surprising they had something to prove against the Spurs this year. They destroyed the Spurs both games.

The Pistons either look really dominant or really indifferent like they don't care. There is very little inbetween with them. If they go into the playoffs like they have something to prove, it's a wrap barring any injuries to the starters.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.