Votes: 36 47.4%
  • Sebastian Telfair

Votes: 40 52.6%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revisit this versus thread that people were talking about at the beginning of the year.

Problem is Livingston has missed 51 games because of two freak injuries, and Telfair hasn't gotten that much consistent playing time until Portland decided to tank. But despite that, you should still be able to gauge who is the better player between the two as of now.

Shaun Livingston
5.8 points (.394 FG%, .759 FT%), 2.3 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 2.29 turnovers, .90 steals, in 23.4 minutes per game (6 games started, 21 played)

Sebastian Telfair
5.9 points (.382 FG%, .786 FT%), 1.4 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.72 turnovers, .36 steals, in 16.9 minutes per game (16 games started, 58 played)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
both are gonna be excellent although both should have gone to school for at least a year or so develop their overrall games more. pretty much all they have is court vision + passing abillity to go with raw athleticism. ive seen livingston more, and i think he's better right now - great baseline to baseline speed, long long arms, sees the whole court a little bit better (telfair is a bit better in the half court).

but both need time to develop, its too early to make a judgement right now. especially as pure passing PG's, these guys need time to learn how to play basketball.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
they are basically even, no?
With the exception that Livingston is apparently made of glass right now.

It's obvious that the Clippers were right about Livingston though.
And it's obvious all the draft experts who were talking garbage about Sebestian being a late first round pick, maybe early second round....were full of ****. The Blazers did a good job of not buying the bait. I guarantee if they didn't draft him where they did, he would not be a Blazer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'd say they are basically even. Right now, it looks like Telfair is a little better scorer and Livingston is a little better defender. But since neither of them has played any real time yet, who really knows?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
It's pretty much even stats-wise, but I give the edge to Livingston because his team isn't tanking the whole season just he can get more playing time.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Whodinee, we know you don't think guys should go out of HS anymore okay, please give it a ****in rest. Just say your peace and move on.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I am not huge fans of either yet. Both are very unpolished. I am not saying they should have went to college (if your a first round pick you made the right move) but they do need large amounts of playing time. If I had to pick I would go with Livingston because he looked sharper in the few times I saw him play.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Livingston based on impact and talent. Longer, taller, and better defender. Not as good a passer as Telfair and doesn't have nearly the same first step or quickness, but still overall superior IMO. Of course, they both have tons of room for improvement.

That said, Livingston does seem quite injury prone, so based on that I'd take Telfair if we're talking about which player a GM would draft to make his team better for a long period of time.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Telfair had a fantastic play today with his pass to przybilla which definitely opened some eyes! I voted for Telfair!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As for me, I would say Shaun Livingston. And it's not a bias because I love Telfair as well.

Both right now are raw in terms of scoring, Telfair scores most of his points on layups, while Livingston scores on his midrange game. Both need work on their 3 point shot, which Telfair is better at right now.

Both have excellent court vision and passing skills. But Livingston might have the advantage in court vision because of his height, which makes it easier for him to see the court. Telfair is probably the better point guard in the half court, although Shaun has improved over the year. But, Livingston is the better defender, rebounder, and I think just has the superior court awareness, and point guard skills as of now.

And I'd take Livingston for the future as well. People say he is not tough enough for an NBA season, but I think he just got extremely unfortunate with a freak injury. You judge a players toughness by how he plays when he comes back from the injury, and Livingston has been better than he was before the injury.

·
Registered
719 Posts
today Livington had 10ast was 3 for 7 with 6 points. I say within three year he going to be the 1" PG in the NBA. The kid love to pass and he not a shoot first PG.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Last night, Telfair had 16 points and 10 assists. And he's played solid defense all season.

As a Portland fan, I'm obviously biased; however, I was a believer in Telfair a year before he was drafted (and thus, long before I thought he'd be a Blazer...back then, he was being talked up as a top-five pick).

I've become a real fan of Livingston's talent, too. I think both will be special players. I think Livingston's ceiling is of a Penny Hardaway type of point guard, big and excellent all-around, while Telfair's ceiling is Jason Kidd with a great cross-over.

Reactions: underhill_101

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
radronOmega said:
Livingston OWNED telfair
How so? One play doesn't prove anything and that play wasn't even one where Telfair was victimized. A Clipper beat the Blazers' poor team defense on a cut to the hoop and Livingston made a very nice play.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts