Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what Red Auerbach had to say (as quoted by Will McDonough in today's Boston Globe) about the league's granting the Knicks a $4.5 million cap exception following the injury to Antonio McDyess.

''The whole thing is a farce... We get nothing for Bias or Lewis when they died. Nothing. These guys can go look for another pretty good player with that kind of money. Now what happens if McDyess comes back to play this year? That puts the Knicks over the cap. Do they have to get rid of the guy they gave the $4.5 million to? Of course not. We had to carry Reggie on our salary cap for years, and they never gave us a break. Why are these guys getting a break?''

McDonough points out that after Bias died the Celtics asked the NBA for some form of compensation, such as additional draft choices. Stern said no. Subsequently the Celtics were forced to carry Reggie Lewis' $3 million salary on their cap for four years after his death in 1993. McDonough goes on to ask: "Maybe in the minds of the people that run the NBA, it's better to be dead than hurt."

Of course, only those of us who remember the 1984 draft (to mention just one curious event) could possibly think that David Stern is a hopeless Knicks/Nets/Lakers shill at the expense of every other franchise in the league. But I guess we're just being paranoid--- isn't that right David?

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I think his comments are a little out of line. Things are different today. Sure, the right thing would have been to forgive the debts after those players died, but I doubt they even thought of that at the time. I don't think it was a slight on the Boston Celtics franchise, it is just how things are run in today's game.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that Stern has changed his mind about the Nets. They are a surrogate for the Knicks in the NY market, now that the Knicks are so lousy.

I heard an interview with Stern on James Brown's radio talk show just prior to last year's playoffs. Stern was asked which players he considered to be the NBA's "new" stars. Stern positively gushed about Kobe, Kidd, Iverson and Tracy McGrady. There was hardly a peep about other players.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think Red makes a valid point with at least with Reggie Lewis... I don't quite agree with Len Bias scenario since the Celtics would I guess technically own only draft rights for him...

Although Red has a valid arguement, I think that it may not be appropriate for the public to hear.... Even though it's a business, Red should have excerised some sense of sensetivity to the Lewis family and friends....

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does sensitivity to Lewis have to do with it? The Celtics were very supportive of Lewis' widow, who as you probably know was involved in protracted litigation with Reggie's cardiologist.

The point is that the league gave the Celtics nada, whereas the Knicks get preferential treatment. Why?

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
What does sensitivity to Lewis have to do with it? The Celtics were very supportive of Lewis' widow, who as you probably know was involved in protracted litigation with Reggie's cardiologist.

The point is that the league gave the Celtics nada, whereas the Knicks get preferential treatment. Why?
Sensitivity has everything to do with it. He is talking as if Lewis was just an object worth some extra dollars. That in itself is not right.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Did they have a salary cap in '93? If not, then Lewis' contract didn't keep the Celtics from signing other players based on the league rules, so I could understand that. If there was, then the Stern's a loser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts