Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISU, KSU and MU all looking for new coaches what are the rumors on what coach is the schools are going after?

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ISU hired their guy

Kstate wanted the UNI guy. Not sure where they go now

Mizzou is going after mike Anderson of UAB, Majrus, Huggins (which the later two seems to be out of now), and they are got permission to talk to Steve Alford of Iowa which surpises me

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MU just dropped Marjus, huggins, and alford.

They are looking at Altman, Dixon of Pitt, and Beilien of WVU

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
kansasalumn said:
MU just dropped Marjus, huggins, and alford.

They are looking at Altman, Dixon of Pitt, and Beilien of WVU
I'm glad...I wanted no part of Huggins or Alford.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Perfect coaching job for Huggins. At KSU you have very little academic qualifications and very little restrictions, hence the rise of the football program during the 90's. With Huggins connections back in Cincinnati I am sure he can get some felons and high school dropouts qualified at Kansas State.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
Big_CKansas said:
Perfect coaching job for Huggins. At KSU you have very little academic qualifications and very little restrictions, hence the rise of the football program during the 90's. With Huggins connections back in Cincinnati I am sure he can get some felons and high school dropouts qualified at Kansas State.
Wow, you must be very blissful considering how ignorant you are.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, that would be correct. I really don't care what you think. Wether it is being ignorant or what. But it is my opinion and my opinion is shared by a lot of people. The guy just ran a program in which he didn't give a damn about how the program looked or wether his kids got an education or not. All he cared about was winning, and at all costs. In 14 years at Cincinnari, 27 players got degrees. Only 27 players in 14 years! I could then add how many players got arrested or how many times he or one of his assistant coaches got arrested. When looking at it, it is just sad!

·
Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
Big_CKansas said:
Yes, that would be correct. I really don't care what you think. Wether it is being ignorant or what. But it is my opinion and my opinion is shared by a lot of people. The guy just ran a program in which he didn't give a damn about how the program looked or wether his kids got an education or not. All he cared about was winning, and at all costs. In 14 years at Cincinnari, 27 players got degrees. Only 27 players in 14 years! I could then add how many players got arrested or how many times he or one of his assistant coaches got arrested. When looking at it, it is just sad!
I'm well aware that many are ignorant and choose to see Huggins as a pariah and glad to see you can restate Stewart Mandel's hack piece. He has been an easy media target since he crashed the Final Four with a team full of jucos that lifted weights and wore black. You're correct that he didn't care what other's thought; however, you are incorrect that all he cared about was winning. All he cared about were his players and making them the best that they could be.

The University of Cincinnait wasn't prepared to be the focus of media scrunity nor were there adaquete academic monitoring programs in place for student athletes until Bob Goin became the AD in 1997. In short, for the nearly the first 10 years of Huggins UC career, he didn't have the support system in place that the high profile (i.e. white hat) coaches enjoyed. Under Goin, a program was instituted to bring back athletes to complete their degree no matter when they finished their eligibility. Nowhere in Mandel's piece does he talk about how much the program has improved over time or how many of the recent players that completed their degrees (or in the case of Lenorad Stokes, 2 degrees). So while the raw numbers look bad when averaged out, it is a rehashing of the same old information.

He cared very much about their education; however, he cared more about their life and financial well being. He never told a player to turn down hundreds of thousands of dollars to play overseas to stay and finish their degree first. The list of players that haven't graduated, aren't/didn't playing/play professional basketball or didn't transfer is pretty small. The fact is that Huggins' players over the last 4 seasons were graduating and UC had even adopted the Duke program of having a degree that could be completed in 3 years with summer courses each year.

As far as players getting arested, when you have a freshman that was a high school honor student with no history of violence or criminal behavior decide that he wants to be cool and carry gun (Roy Bright) I guess that is the coaches fault. Sure there are some players that made boneheaded decisions off the court while in school (e.g. Donald Little & Dontonio Wingfield) but those were decisions made by those individuals, not the coach.

Only one of Huggins assistants was arrested (for a DUI), but since he was a former player, I guess that is a double whammy.

I learned a long time ago that most people take the easy way when forming opinions and following conventional wisdom is the easy way.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
cpawfan said:
I learned a long time ago that most people take the easy way when forming opinions and following conventional wisdom is the easy way.
Yeah, but you are just as guilty of ignoring (or at least sidestepping) the bad as bigC is of ignoring the good.

Let me guess, Huggins was only interested in helping Robert Whaley become a better person, right?

And let's not call people ignorant.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
The Truth said:
Yeah, but you are just as guilty of ignoring (or at least sidestepping) the bad as bigC is of ignoring the good.

Let me guess, Huggins was only interested in helping Robert Whaley become a better person, right?

And let's not call people ignorant.
I'm not sidestepping the bad. I'm as frustrated as any UC fan with the "problems"; however, I also understand the context of the situation and am aware of more than the half truths regurgitated in the national media. It is easy to take potshots and far more difficult to seek out the truth or in the case, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story.

Huggins likes to give guys second chances and unlike many coaches around the country, when Whaley decided that he couldn't handle Huggins high standards, Huggins didn't give up on him even though the AD did. Huggins helped place him at Walsh (his 3rd chance) where Whaley was able to succeed and get drafted.

It appears you are ignorant of the definition of ignorant. An ignorant person is someone that is lacking knowledge or is uniformed on a subject.

Huggins is walking into a far better situation at KSU than he walked into at UC. The team isn't on probation or have scholarship limitations. Additionally there is already an athletic department that is use to dealing with big time college sports in a big time conference.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
cpawfan said:
It appears you are ignorant of the definition of ignorant. An ignorant person is someone that is lacking knowledge or is uniformed on a subject.

I will only respond to this by saying I am not "ignorant of the definition of ignorant."

I will discuss this further in a more appropriate place.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
Kansas State will be in the NCAA tournament next year.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it is a good move for KSU. Got a winner. This move put KSU back on the map as a college basketball program power house. It has been 20 plus years since its powerhouse days. As a colllege basketball fan, I hope KSU returns to it glory days. As a KU fan I am indifferent I would love to see KSU stink as long as possible

·
Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
kansasalumn said:
I think it is a good move for KSU. Got a winner. This move put KSU back on the map as a college basketball program power house. It has been 20 plus years since its powerhouse days. As a colllege basketball fan, I hope KSU returns to it glory days. As a KU fan I am indifferent I would love to see KSU stink as long as possible
It can certainly shake things up in the Big 12. I can't wait to see the Huggins/Knight matches.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.