Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his points go up, but his rebounds and blocks have been in a decline since 01-02. Thats not to say hes a bad player, hes still getting 11 boards a game and his defense is superb. How does will this effect his FA? will Detroit low ball him? WIll a team pony up big cash for a declining undersized centre?

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
BG44 said:
his points go up, but his rebounds and blocks have been in a decline since 01-02. Thats not to say hes a bad player, hes still getting 11 boards a game and his defense is superb. How does will this effect his FA? will Detroit low ball him? WIll a team pony up big cash for a declining undersized centre?
these posts are becoming increasingly irritating. EVERY player over the age of thirty usually exhibits SOME decline in his performance. I like to call this the process of AGING. The affects vary from person to person, but Ben Wallace has not shown that he is on the decline as of yet. I expect him to get several (many) max contract offers from teams, but he will inevitably resign with the Pistons because there are no known reasons to believe otherwise. He is extremely loyal to the team that gave him the chance to become a star.

·
I Love This Game
2,596 Posts
if detroit is stupid enough to low ball him, then im sure he wont have a hard time finding a nice contract with any team in need of a quality center.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The only part of Ben's game that has declined is his intensity.

He doesn't put up numbers like he used to, but in all honesty, he doesn't play as hard on a consistant basis as he used to either.

Big games, 4th quarters, and playoffs though, Ben is still just as good as he's ever been.

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
BG44 said:
YOUR declining! :banana:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd take Ben Wallace on my team In A Second.. Without Hesitation!

The Cavaliers already have a good center, but if you have a chance to add a Ben Wallace, that is a No-brainer. You find a way to work him in. Of course this will never happen because Detroit is not crazy. They know that big men who can play hard on both ends of the court are a rare commodity. You don't just let one go and find another one easily.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Bingo. More Contribution from not only sheed but Prince and Dyess on the boards = Ben Doesnt have to carry the load like he did in the michael curry days. He's still got alot of bounce in those legs, when those start to go then i'll worry.

·
Registered
954 Posts
personally i'm not a big fan of ben wallace. maybe i'm saying that because i'm a nets fan and i have some bias against him but i think he's had the benefit of playing with other good defensive players. i also think he is allowed to get away with a lot more contact on his "blocks" than most other players and for some reason refs don't call it. maybe it's a bad comparison but brian grant was known as a defensive force and rebounder for many years and got a big contract because of it and that contract quickly became one of the league's worst. i think if you move wallace to an average team, he wouldn't do enough to warrant the big contract.

·
Banned
189 Posts
DetroitDiesel said:
Bingo. More Contribution from not only sheed but Prince and Dyess on the boards = Ben Doesnt have to carry the load like he did in the michael curry days. He's still got alot of bounce in those legs, when those start to go then i'll worry.
So you're saying before he was an overrated rebounder and shot blocker and only now once he's gotten legitimate teammates, is he showing his true ability?
Ben Wallace is overrated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
As the team has gotten better the necesity(sp?) for Ben to get 4 blocks and 20 rebounds a game isnt there. Sheed and the others have taken on part of the load. Also the defensive scheme has changed and Ben doesnt help nearly as often on helpside where he got most of his blocks. Each player contains their own man and they play a straight up man defense. His offensive rebounds are still there but his defensive rebounds are lower cause he is staying with his man instead of going after all the boards.
As far as the Nets fan claiming Ben gets away with more fouls than most? keep an eye on him the next time our teams play...for every foul Ben commits blocking shots that isnt called Ill pay you a buck, but.....for every time his arms are held by the opposition while he goes for a board and isnt called you pay me a buck.....we'll see who goes home with the greenbacks.... :cheers:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Will Detroit low ball him? No.
Joe Dumars knows how important Ben is to this team. Ben is getting older but that does not have much to do with it in my opinion.

Rasheed coming to Detroit had almost everything to do with Ben's numbers going down. Ask Ben if he cares and he will say...no.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Ben Wallace is on the decline. I said it. I don't think that is a bad thing, he is still the best center in the East. Shaq does not count as a center since he hasn't lasted an entire season in god knows how long. His rebounds are going down because he just is not as intense as he once was, which somebody already said, and because of the shared work load. Don't worry though, less intensity and more help are only gonna prolong the playoff Ben we all love and see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts