Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Cutting 11, adding 2 will put them at 29 sports next year. That is still a huge amount of sports to be sponsoring. I know it is a pretty drastic drop from the 38 of this past season, but still, that's a lot of sports. What I found really surprising was that it said in the article that it would only save about $500,000. How is that even possible? I mean, I understand golf, fencing, equestrian probably don't cost a whole lot, but there are still costs associated with just having a program. I mean, the net loss is 9 teams. That would equate to a savings of 55,555 per team on average. Obviously, some sports cost more to run/maintain throughout the cost of a school year, but that would mean that some of those sports cost less than 55k/year right? I guess that would mean a part-time coach, athletes provide their own equipment (epees, horses, etc), etc. Something just seems a little off in this to me but maybe I'm not thinking of everything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cutting 11, adding 2 will put them at 29 sports next year. That is still a huge amount of sports to be sponsoring. I know it is a pretty drastic drop from the 38 of this past season, but still, that's a lot of sports. What I found really surprising was that it said in the article that it would only save about $500,000. How is that even possible? I mean, I understand golf, fencing, equestrian probably don't cost a whole lot, but there are still costs associated with just having a program. I mean, the net loss is 9 teams. That would equate to a savings of 55,555 per team on average. Obviously, some sports cost more to run/maintain throughout the cost of a school year, but that would mean that some of those sports cost less than 55k/year right? I guess that would mean a part-time coach, athletes provide their own equipment (epees, horses, etc), etc. Something just seems a little off in this to me but maybe I'm not thinking of everything.
I'd assume it's due to the Ivy League schools not giving out "Athletic" scholarships.

Also, looking at some of the sports, I'm guessing some of them (like men's/women's golf and squash) could have just one coach. I know that's the case at Hartford with Pete Stankevich serving as the head coach for both the men's and women's golf teams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts