Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does this affect the Central Division in your eyes?

I think it makes the Hawks significantly better. They add another 20 ppg scorer to an already decent line-up.

The Bucks improve slightly as well, in my opinion. By making this trade they break up a group that could not get along and was constantly whining. They didn't get much in return, but Toni should help on the bench.

But, I still think the Pistons can beat both teams, and should beat both teams.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm going to tell you like this, the Bulls won't be last in the central divison,Atlanta improved offensively but what have they done on D.I can see it now CAVS 134 to the HAWS 136...I keep stressing that you simply can't win without D, no matter how much offense you have ! ! ! If it came down like that the Bulls would of been in the playoffs too ! ! ! AND they would of beat dem Boys in Blue.(Pistons)

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by JB
I'm going to tell you like this, the Bulls won't be last in the central divison,Atlanta improved offensively but what have they done on D.I can see it now CAVS 134 to the HAWS 136...I keep stressing that you simply can't win without D, no matter how much offense you have ! ! ! If it came down like that the Bulls would of been in the playoffs too ! ! ! AND they would of beat dem Boys in Blue.(Pistons)
The Hawks didn't improve at all defensively, but Glenn Robinson is a MUCH better player than Toni Kukoc and Leon Smith. Adding the Big Dog is not going to hurt this team. Atlanta won 33 games last year. Glenn Robinson coupled with a possibly healthy Theo Ratliff: I see no reason why this team can't win 40 games this year.

I also agree that the Bulls won't finish last in the central. I have them pegged ahead of Cleveland in 7th place. The central is full of good, not great, teams and I don't know if Chicago is ready to jump over any of the other teams besides the Cavs. Babysteps: If I were a Chicago fan I'd be happy if my team won 30-35 games this year, and showed some hope for playoffs in 2003-2004.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My $.02

The Hawks didn't improve at all defensively, but Glenn Robinson is a MUCH better player than Toni Kukoc and Leon Smith. Adding the Big Dog is not going to hurt this team. Atlanta won 33 games last year. Glenn Robinson coupled with a possibly healthy Theo Ratliff: I see no reason why this team can't win 40 games this year.

that won't happen with most of the bulls fans that post on this site. They think they are going to the conference finals. Same with a lot of the atlanta fans too. Appreciate the in between steps guys. hey we Pistons fans in here know that it's harder to go from good to great than from bad to good. Defense does win ball games. Hey the difference between the kings and the mavs is defense. That's why the Pistons surprised last year but it will be harder to do so this year.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
If Atlanta gels together with good chemistry and stays healthy, I see no reason why they couldn't handle Detroit in a playoff series.

JT vs. Billups: JT
DJ vs. Stack: Stack
Big Dog vs. Williamson: Big Dog
Reef vs. Cliff: Reef
Theo vs. Big Ben: Big Ben

Anyways, Atlanta didn't get worse in the defense department. Kukoc played NO defense. JT is a very underrated defender, his opponents were shooting 35% so he did his job and DJ is effective at guarding the opposing swingmen, has long arms and speed and he's 6'10. And Theo was averaging over 3 blocks before he went injured.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
First off wallace plays pf and cliff plays c that is if cliff even starts this year. Have way through the season I would not be suprised to see zelly starting at c rather than uncle cliffy. Micheal Curry is are starting sf and is a defensive stopper. The reason they could not handle detroit in a playoff series is because of are bench it is one of the best in the league.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
What is Detroit's bench? Williamson, White, Rebraca, Atkins? It's alright, better than Atlanta's, but I don't know about best in the league.

Nets got a solid bench with Childs, Harris, RJ, Williams and Collins. Clippers and Blazers also are deep.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I think it all depends on chemistry.The Hawks had a big time scorer a couple of seasons ago,Isiaih Rider,and that didn't exactly go swimmingly.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GeorgiaSports</b>!
What is Detroit's bench? Williamson, White, Rebraca, Atkins? It's alright, better than Atlanta's, but I don't know about best in the league.

Nets got a solid bench with Childs, Harris, RJ, Williams and Collins. Clippers and Blazers also are deep.
Actually I said one of the best in the league not the best I think sactown, dallas, and the nets are better. Anyways Corliss was the sixth man of the year. Jon barry is a real good shooter. Atkins are starting pg last year will come of the bench this year. Zelly is a solid C that should be starting for this team soon.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<b>Chauncey Billups vs Jason Terry</b>

I'd give Terry a slight edge here. Billups is a big improvement over Chucky Atkins and it's not a clear cut choice like before.

<b>Jerry Stackhouse vs DerMarr Johnson</b>

Pistons with a huge edge. DerMarr hasn't proven anything and Stack is one of the better players in the NBA.

<b>Michael Curry/Rodney White vs Glenn Robinson</b>

Right now, Big Dog by quite a big margin. But the fact that Williamson gets quite a few minutes minimizes the losses and makes this not a huge gap.

<b>Ben Wallace vs Shareef Abdur-Rahim</b>

Wallace. (easily, in my opinion) This is like comparing peas and carrots, but I feel Wallace is much more valuable because of what he can provide on the defensive side of the floor.

<b>Theo Ratliff vs Cliff Robinson</b>

Cliff Robinson being one of the better interior defenders + a pretty good ability to score coupled with questions of Theo's health right now gives Cliff the advantage. That's bound to change as Theo is younger and is getting better.

<b>Bench</b>

Not even comparable. The Pistons boast one of the top benchs (Williamson, Rebraca, Atkins, Barry) in the league, better than New Jersey in my book. Sac Town might have a better one and the Clippers are much deeper by getting Wilcox, Ely, and bringing in Jaric.

<b>Coaching</b>

Pistons, easily. Rick Carlisle was not the coach of the year for nothing.

<b>Experience</b>

Pistons. With last year the Pistons gained playoff experience beneficial to this year. Atlanta did not make the playoffs, so they do not have this experience as a unit.

<b>My Verdict</b>

I see no reason why an Atlanta-Detroit series would go more than 4 games, with the Pistons winning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts