Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fizer, Eddy, and Tyson

http://petenewellbigmancamp.net/page4.html

Hall of Fame basketball coach Pete Newell still believes in a dying breed -- the mobile, back-to-the-basket type of center who could dominate a game in the style of Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

"Today in the NBA we have one center that qualifies for the MVP or the Hall of Fame, in the last 10 years, Shaquille (O'Neal) is the only one," Newell said. "Take Shaquille out of the mix, and you don't have a center."

http://espn.go.com/nba/s/2002/0809/1416201.html

·
Registered
220 Posts
Both Chandler and Curry are attending Pete Newell's camp along with Marcus Fizer. Conspicuous by his absence is Dalibar Bagaric, who though he was asked to attend, turned down the Bulls request to attend a family wedding in his homeland. Sounds like shades of Chris Anstey who turned down a Bulls request to work on his game in Chicago during the summer of 2000 in favor of playing for his national team in Australia.

This is really disappointing news about Bagaric, who gives me the impression he thinks he's better than he really is. The Bulls have to decide if they're going to pick up his $1.6 million option next season. If the Bulls use their exception to sign someone like Popeye Jones to a multi-year deal this summer, we might see Dali job hunting next year...or sooner.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I am so happy to hear that Dali has opted out of the Big Man Camp. The guy has no business in the NBA or any functions (e.g. camps) related to it. I can only hope that his new bride chains him to the fence post back in his homeland and never lets him return to the states. The guys flat out HORRIBLE! He's a waste of court space and playing time. Cut him and cut him now. Why waste a roster space for that loser?

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
thats a good point hjh, it never even registered in my mind that bargaric wasnt there!!! It does make you wonder! Thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How effective do you guys think this camp will be for Curry, Chandler & Fizer??? Just don't know how intense these training camps are. It could'nt hurt but I was just wondering if you guys think this will really help their game alot or just a little.
Also very dissappointed that Bags isn't joining them. He needs it the most.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I think these camps will help the young Bulls, especially Curry and Chandler. We have to remember that these kids are only 1 year out of HS and are learning by the minute. So any advice, drills, help with footwork, etc. will only accelerate their learning curves.

With the shortage of centers in the league, Curry and Chandler have the potential to be not just good but dominant big men in 3-4 years time. So Newell's camp is just another rite of passage of sorts for big men. Here's hoping its a stepping stone for them to only get better.

VD

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
IMHO, Newell's big man camp was an absolute must for the kids this year, especially since the NBA maynot allow it next year. The kids will be able to learn a LOT in this camp, it is probably THE best big man camp in the nation.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I wish I had read this thread before sticking up for Bagaric on another thread. Oh well. I am glad that Curry, Chandler and Fizer are there.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Hey, anyone who wants to start a new round of dumping on Bags, I took the liberty of starting a poll on the main NBA board, after I had so much fun reading the Worst NBA Player thread on that board. Vote for Bags as Worst NBA player!!!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
A dissenter in our midst!!

Well I am going to swim against the tide on this one gentlemen.

You could read Bagaric's decision to attend a family wedding in a number of ways ....or you could read it as a decision to attend a family wedding

When Frederic Weis , the Knicks draft pick from a couple of years ago ( and Vince Carter's personal ladder ) declined to come to New York - instead preferring to stay close to his ailing father , most Knick fans and dare I say basketball fans in general were bemused.

No one really understood Chris Anstey putting his NBA career on hold and possibly closing the door on it forever by choosing to play for his country in the 2000 Olympics of which his country was host - no doubt a once in a lifetime opportunity

Just like it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Frederic Weis to spend time with his father before he passed away , or for Dalibor to attend a family member's wedding where his whole family will be there with the opportunity for everyone to come together in joyous and in sad times - as families do

Perhaps there is a cultural divide in different ethnicities that put a greater premium on events in their personal lives away from their job ( eg : basketball) that we in the Collesium of our armchair find bewildering .

Why do we find it bewildering ?

Could it be that the structure of western society ( and the USA being the most dominant example of ) continues to enhance the achievement/fulfillment of the individual and individual goals - where the people in the periphery (of such individuals that are pursuing their goals ) end up paying their own price for those individuals' prosperity ?

So if someone is not clambering over the top of someone else - expecting them to subrogate things that are important to them all in the cultural fabric ( whatever they may be and how these issues are relevant on a shared basis ) is this what we cannot understand ?

Full steam ahead and damn the torpedeos ?

If I don't make my brother's wedding , if I don't spend time with my father before he dies , if I don't elect to represent my Country and give to my nation in representation - and instead lock all of these distracting issues out and make my choices that best suit me and ultimately politic the fans - who expect me to come to the Knicks, who expect me to give up playing for my Country at the Olympics , who expect me to be at Pete Newell's camp instead of a family wedding ( that may have important cultural and ethnic significance with everyone from that family being in attendance) then this is the best way to go ?

Or does a nobler path beckon that blinds us in the Colesium of our armchair ( sorry guys - I liked that one and wanted to use it again ) so much so that we cannot see such choices that Dalibor, Frederic and Chris really make which are a lot more selfless than we are willing to give them credit for ?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Even if bags does go to the camp it probably won't matter. This camp won't take some guy that has no skill into a serviceable player. Just like at the Alumni List it obviously did not help dwanye shcizntus, pete chillcutt or Yinka Dare. Now there are some superstars on that list like an olajuwon or a oneal but those guys had talent to begin with and from what I hear from you bulls fans (I am pistons fan) bags is terrible so do you think that this camp would really help him that much?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Great post FJ, sometimes I skim through things and didn't realize it was a brothers wedding. There is little in life more important than an immediate family member's wedding and the same holds true for an ailing parent. I have personally shut down my own workplace for similar happenings. I won't dispute the Antsey thing either.
In my book, Bagaric has his priorities straight. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
Hey, anyone who wants to start a new round of dumping on Bags, I took the liberty of starting a poll on the main NBA board, after I had so much fun reading the Worst NBA Player thread on that board. Vote for Bags as Worst NBA player!!!
Y'know Tom...

I was going to try and stay off my high horse on this one , and I am sure you are only having fun - but this post of yours was a good example that there are some lessons from the schoolyard that continue to manifest themselves in the adult lives we lead.

And basically , it is cowardice to dump on someone just because everyone else does it . But everyone does it without conscience or responsibility in doing so , and therefore, the crap that is slung at the poor ba$tard that is ostracized becomes the mortar that melds the malovelent.

Usually such people lack the courage to form their own views

I'll admit as a young immature teenager I took easy marks on guys that I grew up with to win points in the Group. Looking back in reflection I am ashamed of myself for doing so.

I got no problem with anyone getting ripped if they deserve it but a lot of what I have seen get posted and talked about with regard to Dalibor Bagaric is just ( IMO ) the law of the schoolyard I refer to above - and frankly its ignorant and cowardly

I have seen your initial posts and I think you offer good stuff but I think your better than this

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Song

I don't know specifically that it was his brother's wedding - I was only assuming that for the example . But it is " a family member's wedding"

Who knows maybe he is the best man or something - another assumption I know , but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt in that it was personally important enough for him ( and others ) for him to be there

·
Registered
510 Posts
Major props FJ on many levels. I find the name calling here and RealGM much more offensive than actual profanity, he is one of ours. I actually may be overstating his ultimate value because I am so reviled by the shameless and thoughtless name calling, but he has shown something, he is very young and deserves a real chance. Too many people value grace over effectiveness and don't appreciate what a center can do.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Especially for MichaelFAOZ and others who may have voted for Dalibor as the L's worst

Dalibor has no business being associated with anything to do with the NBA?

As the season finished off all of our young guys showed substantial improvement with how they started off the season.

With regard to Dalibor , in his last 10 games he averaged :

17.5 minutes , 5.9 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1 block, 1 assist and only turning the ball over 1.2 times. He averaged 51% from the field and 65% from the line

All of this from a 22 year old 7'1 290 pound back up center who should be a college senior coming out

I would have thought that this is a valuable contribution for a back up center - particularly when he went for 16 and 6 , 2 blocks and an assist on only 1 turnover in 25 minutes to get the most valuable gong against the Knicks on April 11.

If you saw that game you might understand

And this "loser" as you call him is denying who a roster spot exactly ?

Is he worth having his option of $1.6M picked up if he can give us this sought of production and round out his consistency while continuing to try and improve ?

You bet your a$$.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
It is not a childlike mentality. They guy is paid a large sum of money to play basketball. Hate to break the news to you but it is a full time commitment and not something for when he plays. I am not saying he shouldn't go to a wedding but he, like every other player, has to weigh his personal desires against what he is paid for now, whether it is implied for him to do so or not.

I am not against him attending a wedding, but the guy is horrible. There is no mistaking that. He may have rattled off a few nice games at the end of a dismal season for the Bulls but he looked inferior in every way during summer league play against guys that will never see an NBA roster. I won't judge the Bulls but I will certainly judged individual progress.

If someone wants to get upset because he chose to attend a wedding instead of working on his game that is their right just as much as it is his right to go to the wedding. They are a fan, they in effect pay his salary. You could argue that his current contract is based on potential and that the expectation of money already spent was that he would attend the rare opportunities, such as Newell's camp to develop that potential.

Neither side is right or wrong but to attack those that want to voice their opinion on the guy is hypocritical. Criticism like this is justified, just as it was when Vince Carter decided to attend his graduation. Just as there is justification for what they did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts