Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i emailed georgia's athletic department asking about their status for this postseason. the response i received back stated that the hearing with the ncaa would not take place until after this season, and therefore no penalties would be enforced on this year's team.

i have no idea who originally read this or who instructed them to respond in the manner in which they did. all i know is that this is the response i received. it is good enough for me.

bottom line is, as far as i can tell.....

GEORGIA IS ELIGIBLE TO PLAY IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
But could have sanctions placed against them for NEXT year? Does that make any freaking sense?

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
But do you think UGA will be good enough to make an NCAA bid? They have very high quality wins, but also alot of bad losses to teams like Winthrop

·
Registered
582 Posts
They did fairly well out of conference and if they can play solid in the SEC then they very well could have a shot as a bubble team. Those in charge of the selection MAY give Georgia some slack since they SHOULD have been in it last year but could not. Hard to predict at this point...

·
Registered
174 Posts
The investigation uncovered nothing new according to the NCAA. Some might would say that UGA overeacted by pulling ourselves out the post season last year. Basically, all that was uncovered was the academic fraud (in which basketball players were exempt from taking a final - big deal) and Harrick Jr.'s involvement in the $300 transfer to Tony Cole.

If he were not Harrick's son, more than likely the asst. coach would have been fired and Harrick would still be coaching at UGA. But when Sr. didn't fire Jr. university officials refused to renew Jr.s contract. With that happening, Sr. walks away from a huge bonus with a minimal amount of money.

I believe the university thought it was going to uncover more than what it did. Also, with Sr. walking away from so much money, it made him look even more guilty.

The word is, and this could be wrong, that there will be no further penalties assessed in light of the fact that had UGA played in the post season last year, the penalties this year would have been the same or similar.

In short, we doubt there will be any other significant action taken.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Cool... I hate to see any SEC team in trouble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts