Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you remember him from the 2003 draft picked 34th by the Clips and talked about as Shaq-like size.

well , I've just seen him (on thursday) beating Euro Champs Maccabi with his team Olympiakos and I'm telling you this guy is Huge!!!

He completely changed the game every time he entered. noone in Europe (and nba outside of Shaq maybe) can stop this guy from moving backwards to the basket. The israeli broadcaster that never saw him before was just completely caught of the hook , and when he entered he could'nt stop talking about the 'biggest fridge you can imagine' type of Body he has. He was gaurded by 7 footer Nicola Vuycic who is probably the top big man in Europe (more offensively anyway) and he just moved in the paint wherever he wanted. he seemed like a good 6-10 (hight and width) next to the 7 footer (maybe even more , might've grown , 20 y/o now) and around 300 pounds if not more (very hard to estimate at those weight levels). now of course he has body fat , but I'm telling ya he is just so wide , uncomparable to anything seen in Europe , and I assure you he's bigger than anyone in nba too (I think he's wider than Shaq too , seriously).

I mean players under 190 pds started orbitting around him due to gravitation. he's just a true freak of nature , you must see it if you can catch it somewhere. Sweets will look like a schoolboy standing next to him.

now about his game - it is still raw , but he seems to have nice cordination and shooting touch. and his size just helped him get wherever he wanted every time.

I guess the Clips still have his rights since he played in Europe , and also that he's under contract in Greece. But if something can be done (like a 2nd rounder or depth player for improven Clips) whoever wants to should do it soon , cause I think after this season he'll be signed by the Clippers , and although his talent is still raw , his amazing size is for real and thats true for any standrd you take it in. absolute Bulldozer.

Here's his nbadraft profile , and I'm telling you he grew since that picture!

Funny he is compared to Eddy , it's only due to size , but unlike Eddy he's passionate and plays hard both sides all the time (as long as he has air , with his size , conditioning don't come easy)

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Two months ago, he weighed in at 6'9 400 pounds. He was unable to play for more than 5 minutes before running out of steam. And if you don't believe me, here's a picture. It's worth noting that both players in this picture are 6'9.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShamBulls said:
Two months ago, he weighed in at 6'9 400 pounds. He was unable to play for more than 5 minutes before running out of steam. And if you don't believe me, here's a picture. It's worth noting that both players in this picture are 6'9.
funny pics Sham , and great site (added to favs)

anyway , as for thursday , he looks in much better shape now (game shape for more tha 20 minutes) , and you cannot really size him up by this pic anyway.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
ShamBulls said:
I was the one who has provided this pic and news (and also lauhed :)) about Sofoklis on this forum, but now I have to agree that he has made progress. Hes much slimer now, smth like 350 pounds, still way too fat and should work on that, but progress is seen. He still cant play for longer stretches because he gets tired. Also wasnt seen in Maccabi game (which bullet saw), but Sofo still is very foul prone. Anyway hes really a beast and nickname Baby Shaq fits him exactly, his body going to the basket cant be stopped.

·
Registered
182 Posts
he sounds a lot like sweetney now.
what's so amazing about the size of a 6'9'' overweight player? and he's also raw?
i'll give the clippers eddy basden and the 2009 second round pick. i'll throw in a bag of chips.

·
Registered
182 Posts
btw, i didn't mean to knock sweetney. i love sweetney.

but bullet makes sofoklis sound like shaq.

if curry played in europe, he'd probably average 30 ppg.

tony kukoc absolutely dominated in europe. not so much here.

jacikevicius was so legendary, he lead different teams to euroleague championships consecutively!!!

here, saras is backing up tinsely...

scoonie penn does well in europe.

drobnjak got a mega deal in europe

trajan langdon does well in europe.

a starter for 2 time euroleague champion maccabi is maceo baston. a bulls 2nd round draft pick.

the list goes on and on.

i'm not impressed with anyone who does well there, sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Here's a picture from the game against Maccabi Tel Aviv:

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bull_Market said:
btw, here's the box score from the maccabi game.

http://www.euroleague.net/stats/statsPartido.jsp?temporada=E05&jornada=2&partido=17

sofoklis with 13 pts, 5 rebs. he isn't a starter. i'm assuming he only played 18 minutes b/c of conditioning problems. sofoklis is listed at 206 cm. which is 6'9''. weight not listed for anybody.

the guy guarding sofoklis is 6'11 and 235 Lbs.
yup , but in Euro BB size is without shoes , that would make him 6-10 (or slightly more) in nba listing , and Vujcic is 7 ft.

also , notice he had the highest accumalated rkg in the game at 22 , in only 18 minutes.

and you are correct , when he played about 10 minutes straight he seemed having a very hard time catching his breath.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
ztect said:
Sort of sounds like a more muscular Jahadi White

More like less muscular, a lot fatter, with a bit more basketball skill. Sofoklis ate his way into oblivion. If he works his way back, fine. But if he does amount to anything, the Clippers aren't going to let him go.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
nanokooshball said:
He's 6 ft 9... why do we need him when we already have Sweetney?
Yeah, that's a scary proposition, since both of them will eat all the food, and Tyson will starve and never put on any weight. :banana:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
nanokooshball said:
He's 6 ft 9... why do we need him when we already have Sweetney?
Agreed- what we need is a tall option, not a big one.

We really need another guy to guard 5's. I still contend that the smartest thing we could do would be to work a trade for a guy like Brian Skinner or Etan Thomas. There are no legit 5's to be had, the best we'll do is a physical 4 who's tall and physical enough to help out on centers (a la AD). We need interior toughness and a guy who has a clue defensively. We won't get that from a young project.

A big part of Tyson Chandler's value is his versatility. If he's the only guy on the roster who can guard 5's who have are competent offensively, we lose flexibility in terms of who we match him up with. I do not want Chandler d-ing up the Kandi Man at the expense of using him on KG.

·
Registered
182 Posts
interesting bullet. i didn't know they measure in europe without shoes.

i guess, then, you could add an inch for the shoe soles, and another for the fact that most players' listed heights in the nba are an inch more than they are.

in that case, seeing how effective he seems to be when not out of breath, i say we should give him a look if he continues to lose more fat. sham said he was 400 Lbs 2 months ago. looks like he is losing weight right now, and we could always use another big man (6'10'' with shoes, 6'11'' listed) whose specialty is scoring.

nice find, narek. i'm just always cautious about players who succeed in europe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I wondered if we were talking about a basketball player or a medical condition....
Are we really looking for another out-of-shape big man project though?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Bull_Market said:
the list goes on and on.

You forgot one on your list. Some Manu Ginobilli guy who was an MVP and won championships over there. I think he turned out alright. And Saras is a key part of a very talented euro team. And Toni Kukoc was really good, but he went to some team called the Bulls, where he was backing up some schmuck called Scottie Pippen, who I heard was alright.

You want to talk about doing well on one level and not the other, how about College basketball phenoms? Joe Smith anyone?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts