Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kevin Garnett for Keith Van Horn, Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles. What do you think?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, a lot of K's.
Anyways I think Minesota would be getting ripped off. Sure Martin Kittles and Van Horn are all 3 pretty good NBA players but Garnett is one of the, if not thee, best in the NBA.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Where did you hear this rumor at? Any links or anything to the story?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I read that today in the NY Daily news. It is a longshot but it is reportedly true that the Nets have been trying to get a deal for Garnett.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Sounds awfully unlikely. I wouldn't jump if I were Minnesota. First, I think Kittles needs to get through another season healthy to boost his trade value. Second, while I like both Van Horn and Martin well enough, I don't like them together. I think they're both power forwards and need a certain mix of players around them to be effective, especially Van Horn. Given Keith's strengths and limitations, he needs to be playing next to a rebounding, athletic small forward like Shawn Marion. So I don't think NJ can put together the right package to pry Garnett loose.

HOWEVER... a trade that I think would be more mutually beneficial is the following:

Minnesota sends Garnett to Portland for Rasheed Wallace, Ruben Patterson and Bonzi Wells.

Portland gives up a lot there, but they need to clear out some of their talented, combustible players in exchange for a superstar. They're one of the few teams that has the player assets to do something like this, and the current composition of their team is just not working.

Minnesota gets a great player, a good player and a decent player in return, enhancing their depth and possibly keeping them at about the same level of competitiveness once the new pieces blend in. I would see Bonzi starting at the 2 and Wally shifting back to the 3, with Ruben backing them both up.

Any reactions?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
The only reason I can see the Wolves trying to do this is to clear out cap space. Otherwise its a one sided deal for sure. It would be sweet to see Kidd tossing them to KG though. If this happens NJ will be weak at the 2 and 3, but I guess its not like they are great there to begin with.

PG-Kidd
SG-Harris
SF-Jefferson
PF-KG
C-T-Mac (white Canadian version of course)

That looks like a team that would do alright in the west, let alone the east, and there have been rumours of the Timberwolves being tired of KG only being able to get them into the first round and then get swept. Maybe they are looking for a complete team overhaul by getting rid of KG and Wally . Bad move in my opinion. Guess we'll have to wait and see

·
Registered
450 Posts
as a twolves fan, i would never do it, maybe for kidd and k-mart, or somebody else with kidd, but otherwise, i wouldnt do it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What would happen to the attendance if they traded Garnett for Van Horne, Kittles and Martin. I think the fans would kind of revolt and not go to the games then they would be like most baseball teams and would losing revenue that Garnett brings in.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by jericho
Second, while I like both Van Horn and Martin well enough, I don't like them together. I think they're both power forwards and need a certain mix of players around them to be effective, especially Van Horn. Given Keith's strengths and limitations, he needs to be playing next to a rebounding, athletic small forward like Shawn Marion.
Well I don't agree with you on this one. KMart and KVH actually is a good tandem if KVH is consistent. KMart plays PF and KVH at SF offensively and the reversed roles defensively. KVH is athletic enough to run and is a very good rebounder if his mind is on, besides KVH could really shoot the lights out if, again, his mind is on, which of course is a rarity...

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
It just seems like Van Horn has struggled with consistency the last three years, and this year he seemed to regress into a diminished role as a spot-up shooter. He came into the league as a very active runner and jumper, doing more to create his own shots. I'd like to see him blossom again, whether it's on the Nets or another team.

Still, I think that Minnesota can probably get a better package for KG, given Van Horn's consistency issues and Kittles' history of injury.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by Tom
Kevin Garnett for Keith Van Horn, Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles. What do you think?
It's not a big trade rumor. Minnesota just said that's what it would take for the Nets to get KG. The two teams haven't even discussed it yet:no: .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Minnesota trades: SF Kevin Garnett (21.2 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 5.2 apg in 39.2 minutes)
Minnesota receives: PF Keith Van Horn (14.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 30.4 minutes)
SG Kerry Kittles (13.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 31.7 minutes)
PF Kenyon Martin (14.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 34.3 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +21.9 ppg, +4.1 rpg, and +2.0 apg.

New Jersey trades: PF Keith Van Horn (14.8 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 30.4 minutes)
SG Kerry Kittles (13.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 31.7 minutes)
PF Kenyon Martin (14.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 34.3 minutes)
New Jersey receives: SF Kevin Garnett (21.2 ppg, 12.1 rpg, 5.2 apg in 81 games)

Change in team outlook: -21.9 ppg, -4.1 rpg, and -2.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Minnesota and New Jersey being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Minnesota and New Jersey had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Minnesota would get a great deal!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes they gain more stats, but fan attendence would go down and so would merchandise sales. The NBA is a business you know. If The Nets get KG, they would come out with a steal. KG would tear the East up. Hopefully if this trade did in fact go down (highly unlikely) Tyson Chandler could stop him.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Dudes!!!

This is like the oldest trade rumor ever. This deal wuz rumored about a month before the NBA Draft.

This is old news, and they are still rumors.

Just wait till we get bonifide proof. Like having the deal appear on NBA.com.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Originally posted by g-dog-rice
Minnesota would get a great deal!
Why?
KG is ranked by the same site you got your number from as #21 player in the entire NBA. I don't know how they got that number because he is definitely a top 5 player in the NBA. Kerry Kittles is ranked as 173 best, Kenyon Martin is 171 (also way low) and Keith Van Horn is ranked as the 146. That means that the three players going to Minnesota are average players. Three average players doesn't equal 1 Superstar. If it did NJ would have easily beat the Lakers.
It is a great deal if Minnesota wants to in the Lottery for the next 10 years. Remember they lose several picks over the next few years so you would blow up the team now and have very few picks to rebuild with. Would you rather give up a pick in the lottery or in the 20s? If they trade KG they must get a player equal of KG i.e. Kidd. If they are going to blow it up and start over you better find a team willing to give up lottery picks over the next three to four years.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by JoeF

Why?
KG is ranked by the same site you got your number from as #21 player in the entire NBA. I don't know how they got that number because he is definitely a top 5 player in the NBA. Kerry Kittles is ranked as 173 best, Kenyon Martin is 171 (also way low) and Keith Van Horn is ranked as the 146. That means that the three players going to Minnesota are average players. Three average players doesn't equal 1 Superstar. If it did NJ would have easily beat the Lakers.
It is a great deal if Minnesota wants to in the Lottery for the next 10 years. Remember they lose several picks over the next few years so you would blow up the team now and have very few picks to rebuild with. Would you rather give up a pick in the lottery or in the 20s? If they trade KG they must get a player equal of KG i.e. Kidd. If they are going to blow it up and start over you better find a team willing to give up lottery picks over the next three to four years.
So do John Stockton, Donyell Marshall, and Andre Kirilenko(all average players) equal Antonio Davis or some other star? The T-wolves had a bright future but can never get out of the first round. Why not try to trade Garnett?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Minnesota won't trade Garnett unless they get another superstar that is going to bring the fans to the game just like Garnett does, so he is basically untradable.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Originally posted by g-dog-rice
The T-wolves had a bright future but can never get out of the first round. Why not try to trade Garnett?
Read the post more carefully
I NEVER said don't trade KG. I said this trade won't help Minnesota. Remember their are two ways to avoid a first round exit from the playoffs. Get worse and miss the playoff (sometimes called rebuilding) or get better and win the first round. The proposed trade falls in the first option in my opinion. Minnesota has to few 1st round picks because of the Joe Smith fiasco to rebuild in this manner. If they decide to miss the playoff and rebuild Minnesota has to find some high first round lottery picks thru trade. A trade with the players proposed would need 2-3 picks in the top ten in the next 2-3 years to help Minnesota.
If you want to actually win a playoff series you need to upgrade talent. KG is a top 5 player in the NBA. That severely limits trading him for a player that would upgrade talent. Kidd + an average veteran + a "potential" player like Martin or Jefferson + draft pick(s) is what you need to get to have a chance of improving.

On the parts unrelated to this thread I never have proposed trading a single player from any team in any post yet.
No. Those three today don't equal a superstar. You chose poor examples. Antonio Davis isn't a superstar. Davis for Marshall would be a reasonable fair trade other than Marshall is 5 years younger. If you look at their career numbers they are pretty even. Stockton is close to retiring. Kirilenko like Kenyon Martin or Richard Jefferson is player that would be attractive in a trade because he is still developing and could become a very good player.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts