Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This offseason, the two biggest needs for Houston will be PG and PF. Right now their main PG's are Sura and James, neither of which are pure PGs; however, both, I believe, are locked in for at least a couple more years(til '06 I believe). At the PF position, Juwan Howard and Clarence Weatherspoon man the spot, yet they are both in contract until at least '06. Neither Howard nor Weatherspoon really fits the bill of what the Rockets need in a PF, and if the Rockets had a chance at a defensive/rebounding type PF, I'm sure they would take it in a heartbeat. Which one of these needs are bigger?

Reactions: Pan Mengtu

·
Registered
313 Posts
Id said that we rather take good defensive PF. Sura and James can roll the ball enough good, just give to McGrady and thats it

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I like Juwan still at PF. He might be a little older now but its always good to have a guy who can score in the blocks when needed. Sura and James are a good 1/2 combo at PG but Bobby is more of a SG playing PG. If they could improve one spot this offseason that team could do great things next year.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
We need a big beast of a PF to do some dirty work. We can't have a true PG, because T-Mac needs ball time, he controls it for us and he's not a spot up shooter, he creates off the dribble

·
Registered
18 Posts
We don't need a PG. WE have T-Mac fools. We need a pretty strong PF that can actually rebound the ball to kick it out to Mcgrady. Howard was pretty good at shooting but he was nothing in the rebounding battle. WE need someone like KG or Dirk Nowitzki. I know it would be hard for us to get them cuz we have like the worst players. WE should give up Yao for one of them so we can have them and Mutombo filling up the center. T-Mac can play the whole perimeter and the big guys can rebound and set up picks. T-Mac is the bomb when u get him the ball.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Power forward is a definite need for the Rockets...they don't need one that is an offensive force, but an enforcer and rebounder inside. It doesn't even have to be a tall tree, but a physical presence inside to control the boards and what happens in the paint.

I would like to see some young big come in and be able to run with the back court. Trading Yao is not even an option when there are several better solutions to this need.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If we want tracy to last for the whole season and post season in the 05-06 season we need somebody who can shoot well and give t-mac more rest time.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
If T Mac is running the point 48 minutes a game he will be dead tired for the playoffs if his legs could last that long. PG would be a huge lift for the team.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
draftcity.com predicts that the rockets will pick SF Joey Graham as their first round pick. I think their first prediction for the rockets(Kennedy Winston) was better.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
When you look at your two stars, Yao and Mcgrady, and then those two positions, you just ask yourself, what's lacking more, Mcgrady's ability to facilitate the offense (with a capable PG next to him), or Yao's toughness in the interior, especially on the boards (with a capable PF next to him). The answer this year is obviously the latter. They need an "enforcer" next to Yao more than they need a Point Guard.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
take turiaf in the 1st and then sign maxiell if he goes undrafted. that takes care of our pf position. then we still have sura, james, and wesley to rotate at pg and hopefully we can bring back jon barry(he's a free agent right?). those 4 can rotate in the backcourt, tmac takes most of the sf minutes, yao and mutumbo at center, and then turiaf and maxiell take the pf minutes. trade howard for whatever we can get and trade weatherspoon for a pick if we can get one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts