Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what i want;

1) let contracts walk
2) draft Gerald Green and a quality PF that slips to the 2nd round (ex. Turiaf, Lawrence Roberts, Frye, Simien, or a nice euro like Vermenko or Gigli)
3) Sign Smush Parker
4) waive DA
5) sign and bring over Monia
6) somehow get rid of Miles

lineup;

PG- Telfair...Parker
SG- Green/Monia...Green/Monia
SF- Outlaw...Khryapa
PF- Randolph...Turiaf?
C- Joel...Theo...HA/Nedzad

potential problems= too inexperienced SG position and possibly Monia is more of a SF...Theo might get frustrated esspecially if we lose alot of games (which we probably would)...

why do this???....i am clearly looking way long term and i would do this to ensure a potential top pick in next years draft....why do this you ask, well to draft Greg Oden ... he is missing on the mocks for the 2006 draft i'm assuming due to the proposed age limit but lets hope that gets denied (pretty hard to legally disallow someone the right to seek work)

but with that said i hope this happens anyways whether or not we get to draft Oden or not....maybe snag Gay or Marvin Williams....i just hope we go even younger

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'd hope that we could at least get SOMETHING for at least one of out expiring contracts, even if it is only more youth.

As much as we might like to waive DA, it isn't going to happen, we're paying him too much guaranteed money for too many more years and he isn't a drug addict.

I've been disappointed by some things about Miles, but I still like him and his potential. I'd be willing to trade him if the right trade came along, but I'm far from ready to "get rid of him somehow".

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think we could benefit from acquiring a player with some experience. If not a seasoned vet like Paul Pierce, a guy like Joe Johnson who is young but has been around for a few years, would do this team some good. I just don't want to see us go through 6 or 7 bad seasons like the Bulls did.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
riehldeal said:
This is what i want;

1) let contracts walk
I'd love to get a couple future picks back at least.
2) draft Gerald Green and a quality PF that slips to the 2nd round (ex. Turiaf, Lawrence Roberts, Frye, Simien, or a nice euro like Vermenko or Gigli)
Excellent idea. I think drafting Gerald Green would be the best idea thus far, its early but I think he's the best pick at whatever position we're at not including 1 and 2 for Bogut and Williams. Drafting the best possible PF would be a great idea too.
3) Sign Smush Parker
I'd rather go out and get a veteran to backup Sebastian. A guy like Antonio Daniels or Eric Snow would do wonders.
4) waive DA
He might as well stay, he brings good PR and you can unload him when his contract is expiring.
5) sign and bring over Monia
That's the plan. I think he will bring a great impact to this team, he's a tough rugged defensive player who will be ready to play from day 1.
6) somehow get rid of Miles
If I could some how do this while bringing back an expiring contract and a future 1st I would do it. I think finding cap room to re-sign Przybilla is more integral to the rebuilding process of this team than keeping Miles. Both Travis and Viktor have shown that they can play the SF position, they make you forget about Darius.

lineup;
PG- Telfair...Parker
SF- Outlaw...Khryapa
PF- Randolph...Turiaf?
That starting lineup would give most teams an arousal in their pants. That's a crapload of potential, I would however like to see some more veteran backups, especially behind Telfair.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I am with ***** here. I think a nice veteren backup point guard is what we need, not another "young guy" with limited experience. Also if we pick up Marvin or Green this year, we CAN NOT draft another swing man in the 06 draft. It just doesn't make any sense, we need other positions filled. It would be like drafting Bogut this year and picking Odgen in 06......

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Sorry, reiehldeal, I can't jump aboard your idea. There are far too many intangibles and things beyond the Blazer's control. Things like:

1) What if Zach is never the same after his surgery? You've just let SAR walk for nothing.

2) What if the Blazers end up with the worst record and only get the 4th pick in the 2006 draft?

Etc., etc.

I'll say again what I've said before - rebuilding is best done with a combination of veterans and a good number of young players who have the potential to develop. Look at what Seattle has done this year using this strategy. Or Phoenix.

Over against Chicago, whose "go young" strategy kept them out of the playoffs for 7 years (and although they'll probably make the playoffs this year, they're nowhere near ready to advance into the later rounds). Or the Clippers who use this strategy year after year.

No strategy for rebuilding is foolproof. But it seems that recent history points to success coming more through a mix of young and old vs. a pure "go young" way of operating.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
it will be interesting to see, maybe we can get a steal in the second round for a slipped euro pf.

·
Registered
199 Posts
riehldeal said:
lineup;

PG- Telfair...Parker
SF- Outlaw...Khryapa
PF- Randolph...Turiaf?
You got a good chance of getting 1st pick in 2006 with that line up, there is no hope even if Randolph put up Malone kind of performance.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Storyteller said:
Sorry, reiehldeal, I can't jump aboard your idea. There are far too many intangibles and things beyond the Blazer's control. Things like:

1) What if Zach is never the same after his surgery? You've just let SAR walk for nothing.

2) What if the Blazers end up with the worst record and only get the 4th pick in the 2006 draft?

Etc., etc.

I'll say again what I've said before - rebuilding is best done with a combination of veterans and a good number of young players who have the potential to develop. Look at what Seattle has done this year using this strategy. Or Phoenix.

Over against Chicago, whose "go young" strategy kept them out of the playoffs for 7 years (and although they'll probably make the playoffs this year, they're nowhere near ready to advance into the later rounds). Or the Clippers who use this strategy year after year.

No strategy for rebuilding is foolproof. But it seems that recent history points to success coming more through a mix of young and old vs. a pure "go young" way of operating.
Great Post Storyteller! :clap:

I would like to see Portland get something for Rahim if at all possible and I am not sold that Randolph is going to be 100% next season, if ever. I still stick the the idea if you can move Randolph and keep Rahim......you do it.

If teams are willing to give up something for Randolph then you would be stupid not to weight the option. Rahim is a better defender and puts up the same numbers as Randolph while giving you a veteran player. I was impressed with Randolph in the begining, but I haven't seen the improvement that I had hoped for over the past season. I think that Rahim makes the team better than Randolph, but that is just my opinion. :whoknows:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
One of the problems is, although both players Shareef and Zach put up good numbers offensively, neither one of them is tough, nor a good defender, and neither one sets good picks. Its the little things that kill this team. Damn I only wish Ruben was 2 or 3 inches taller, he was be an awesome PF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts