Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>princetolakers</b>!
That dude picked in front of jordan and behind of the dream, I think his name is ralph sampson.
You're talking about Sam Bowie, who was chosen by the Blazers in '84, leaving Jordan, Barkley, and Stockton still on the table.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
After hours of pondering I have decided to go with Pervis Ellison.
As for Ellison, yeah...the Kings screwed up pretty bad on that one. Ellison's career stats were... 9.7 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 1.5 APG.

Also, in the process, the Kings left some good players on the table; Glen Rice, Tim Hardaway, Mookie Blaylock, Shawn Kemp, and Vlade Divac stand out... Oh well.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
After hours of pondering I have decided to go with Pervis Ellison.
While I definitely agree Pervis Ellison is a major bust, don't forget he was a 20ppg 11rbg man with the Bullets in 89. Something Joe Smith has never achieved, even when he was playing for a crappy team

Other big time busts:
LaRue Martin: pick #1 in 1972 in front of McAdoo and Julius Erving among others

Joe Barry Carroll: #1 pick in 1980

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Originally posted by <b>princetolakers</b>!
That dude picked in front of jordan and behind of the dream, I think his name is ralph sampson.
Bad mistake :eek:

Ralph Sampson

College Career

One of the most heralded cagers of all time, Ralph Sampson dominated the collegiate game during his brilliant four-year (1980-83) career.

Sampson was the No.1 collegiate basketball player in the country for two years in a row. The center from the University of Virginia won the Wooden Award with a dominating presence on the court: 4th in rebounding nationally with a 12.0 average and an average of 15 points per game.

Sampson played team ball. At the time he said: "I'm not doing a lot. I'm not scoring 30 points a game. I'm not getting 20 rebounds a game. My figures aren't great. We have a team that plays team ball. I just do the things I can do."

Leading Virginia to a new level of national prominence and success, the 7-4 center helped guide the Cavaliers to an NIT championship as a freshman in 1980 and to three NCAA postseason tournaments, including the Final Four in 1981. In addition, the Sampson-led Cavaliers won 112 of 135 games and were in the Top 10 in both major wire service polls for an incredible 48 consecutive weeks. The Cavaliers ranked below fifth in either poll for just one week during that span.

The three-time National and ACC Player of the Year also left his mark in the UVa record books. Known almost as much for his unselfish team play as he was for his outstanding athletic ability, Sampson nonetheless finished as Virginia's third all-time leading scorer (currently fourth with 2,228 points) and holds UVa career records for rebounding (1,511), most field goals made (899), most blocked shots (462) and most dunks (253).

Among his numerous accolades, Sampson was a four-time All-American and won two straight Eastman Awards, two John R. Wooden Awards and three consecutive Rupp trophies.

Pro Career Highlights

Sampson was picked by the Houston Rockets as the NBA's number-one draft choice.

Went on to earn NBA Rookie of the Year honors. During his nine-year NBA career, he helped lead Houston to the 1986 NBA finals.

Following his pro career, Sampson spent one year as an assistant basketball coach at James Madison University (Harrisonburg, Va.). He continues to reside in Virginia, serving as the president of Sampson Sportswear in Richmond.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
There are quite a few I could mention, thankfully, some of them have been named already. :)

I'll go with Shawn Bradley, the number#2 pick, helped immensely by the great Moses Malone - and still - he must have decided that height must mean he didn't have to work as hard as Moses told him he should.

For his supposed athleticism, how high he was picked in the draft, and the fact that Dr. Jack Ramsay said that Shawn should end up being a top 5 center(NOT), Bradley gets my vote as one of the biggest (pun intended) busts ever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That #1 dude in 71; LaRue Martin, wins the gold

Who was that guy the Blazers needed more than the player rated #1 athlete in the world by S.I.? No, not b-baller, ATHLETE. Sam Bowie didn't do much when he was in a uniform, and chances are if you saw him play only once, he was on the bench in street clothes.

Kwame may not be a bust, but the Wizards will be sorry when their 10 point scorer who can't play d and falls for shot fakes was drafted in front of Hall-of-famer Chandler (20ppg, 10rpg, 4bpg career), and stars Curry, Gasol, Battier, and Richardson.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts