Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We, basically, know what we are going to have for next season. I want to look ahead a bit and see what ya'll think our biggest gap will be in next season's team. Here is a prediction of the roster, excluding FA's and draft.

PG Tony Parker/ Beno Udrih
Grade: A-
Parker is an All-Star in the making and Beno is almost as good a backup there is in the league. If they can be just a little bit more consistent next year,(we assume Beno isn't hitting the Rookie Wall) then the could be one of the best PG combinations in the league.

SG Manu Ginobili/Brent Barry
Grade: B+
Manu's great, but Brent will be a year older, and he hasn't exactly played well this year. He has turned it on of late, so hopefully he shows us that most of this year has been a fluke, and he really is better than he has played.

SF Bruce Bowen/Devin Brown*
Grade: B-
If we keep Brown, then this grade is a B-, if not, then it could drop down quite a bit. Don't get me wrong Bruce is good, but he is getting older, and it may be time to start looking for his successor, or a new back-up for Brown. Hopefully Bruce has 2-3 more years left in him, but don't expect his offense to get better.

PF Tim Duncan/Luis Scola/Robert Horry*
Grade: A
We return the best player in the league, as well as a promising rookie, and possibly a seasoned vet that can still contribute saavy play. We will be very solid in this position. Although Horry is getting a bit up in age, I hope he returns. He brings leadership and makes plays when it counts. Also, he has been playing very well this season.

C Rasho Nesterovic/Nazr Mohammed*(is he a FA?)
Grade: B
We have two decent big men returning. They are nothing great, but each one does what we ask them to do. Both are relatively young, so we need not worry about find a replacement. I'm not sure if Nazr is a free agent or not, but if he is, it is critical we resign him.

Biggest Need: SF

·
Registered
48 Posts
Finding a successor for Bruce is our biggest need, but all of our backups went from great to mediocre this year. Beno, Brett and Brown have all been inconsistent, and I don't know if we can trust them to do much for the team in the post season.

Brown is a good scorer and has the muscle to play SF but not the length/height. LJ3 was supposed to provide that long defensive 3 to back up Bowen, but he was hurt all year :(

I am also not happy with our pickup from NY. He has regressed from his production on his last team, and right now Sean Marks is outplaying him. He may end up being traded next year if he doesn't start picking up the sytem.

All in all, our backups have shown they can score for stretches of games; hopefully the playoffs are one of those stretches.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
i dont think we should change alot at all this sumer butmybe work on our future wich thats pretty good right now to so i guess sf would be the best

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Mohammed is on board for at least one more year, meaning after this season he's still got one year left.

Anyway, great post texan. It's a good topic that I honestly haven't given much thought too. I agree that a wing player will be needed. However, if we can keep Brown, that will actually patch up that problem, because Brown is a perfect fit with Bowen and Barry, because he gives us things that the other two don't. After seeing Robert Horry play this year, not only should we being him back we should have him penciled in as the first reserve for Duncan. Scola's been hyped up us a pretty good player, but he's going to have to fit in with not only American-style ball, but Spurs ball as well. While Scola learns the ropes, Horry should fill in just nicely, and we should have one of the deepest frontcourts in the league (Assuming that we actually sign Scola, and re-sign Horry).

I know this season isn't over yet, but I'm pretty excited about next year. We'll be a year older, but a year more experienced.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I really don't think there is anything we need desperately for next season unless we lose Devin Brown in the offseason. I don't think he would want to leave his hometown team though because he seems like a loyal guy.

Our team's future is certainly bright, especially with Luis Scola coming in.

·
Registered
721 Posts
LineOFire said:
I really don't think there is anything we need desperately for next season unless we lose Devin Brown in the offseason. I don't think he would want to leave his hometown team though because he seems like a loyal guy.

Our team's future is certainly bright, especially with Luis Scola coming in.
I wouldn't be so hyped about Scola, there has been a lot of Euro busts...

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
:biggrin: how many that the spurs picked have been a euro bust

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree that Devin Brown is exactly what we need this off-season...remember, before we started to have all of these injuries, we were absolutely dominant, and that was with Brent Barry playing like crap...I think we need to do what we can to keep this team together for next year, regardless of the outcome of the playoffs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts